shape
carat
color
clarity

1st post: similar setting to tacori 2628 ec & plan approval

powers316

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post. I've been stalking the forms for a few months now and today I'm going to my first store to look touch and feel diamonds and settings in real life. If any of you have the time then please review my post, even if you could respond to just a piece of it I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Setting: The setting can be for a round cut, but I'm mainly looking at emerald cut settings with three stones with diamonds on the band. The band diamonds need to be supported by a delicate band where only the diamonds are visible. So no channel. Shared prong works and I've seen many pave settings work as long as the metal is thin enough on the side. One of my favorites so far has been the Tacori 2628 EC. The prices I've seen are for the setting with the center stone at 1.3 carat and up, but it's likely that I'll be in the 1-1.2 carat weight and would be using the smaller version of the setting.

picture of ring - http://www.tacori.com/news/2007/12/my-dream-tacori-ring-is-2628-ec-p/
video of ring in round cut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHXtbbfe9pM

Are there comparable settings by other designers that anyone owns or has seen? It's likely that I will go custom and I'm wanting to find multiple examples so that I can create my own diagram or list of features that are most valued and support it with examples.

Center Diamond:

Here are my current specs for a emerald cut of what I feel best fits with what I find valuable. Your input is greatly valued. I haven't given much though to looking at the cut angles. If there are any emerald owners I'd like to know what things you found important in selecting a center stone.

ratio: 1.3~
table & depth: 58%-69%
color: G
clarity: vs1
cut: very good
girdle: thin to thick

Plan: My plan thus far has been to research and review as much information about diamonds as I could so that I felt educated prior to visiting a store. Today I'll visit my first store. I want to find a setting in a store or have it custom designed locally so that I can put my hands on it. I have had many friends use the same custom designer and I am going to speak with him after I have a clear cut idea of what I'm looking to design.

I want to kindly request the experience of the pricescope members and the store/designer I purchase the band from to help me in finding a center stone. I believe that to purchase it online would give me a cheaper price and better value based upon the large volume to choose from. Also prices seem to be going up everywhere so saving money where I can is important.

Focusing on the setting first will allow me to get the center stone closer to the date that I would propose and thereby allow me to get what I want as I am actively saving towards the goal. I do not plan to do financing. If I did anything it would be a 6-12 month 0% interest card that had a good points/rewards system and I'd pay it off with tax return money + bonus if I were to propose prior to march.

Thanks in advance!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: 1st post: similar setting to tacori 2628 ec & plan appro

Hi and welcome! It seems like you have done a lot of research and are well on your way to purchasing a beautiful ring :)

Are there comparable settings by other designers that anyone owns or has seen? It's likely that I will go custom and I'm wanting to find multiple examples so that I can create my own diagram or list of features that are most valued and support it with examples.

Tacori has a distinctive style. Here is another one that is somewhat similar...
emeraldcutring.jpg

If you describe what you want to the jeweler he/she can use CADs or drawings before you approve the final design.

Here are my current specs for a emerald cut of what I feel best fits with what I find valuable. Your input is greatly valued. I haven't given much though to looking at the cut angles. If there are any emerald owners I'd like to know what things you found important in selecting a center stone.

ratio: 1.3~
table & depth: 58%-69%
color: G
clarity: vs1
cut: very good
girdle: thin to thick

G/VS1 might be a bit restrictive. I would use your shopping in person to decide what color you are most comfortable with. With fancy cuts the numbers are not going to tell the whole story, you really need to either see in person or have images and videos.

Cut is important but GIA does not grade the cut of emerald cuts, so 'very good' cut does not really mean anything.

Also what carat size/budget are you looking for?

Plan: My plan thus far has been to research and review as much information about diamonds as I could so that I felt educated prior to visiting a store. Today I'll visit my first store. I want to find a setting in a store or have it custom designed locally so that I can put my hands on it. I have had many friends use the same custom designer and I am going to speak with him after I have a clear cut idea of what I'm looking to design.

I want to kindly request the experience of the pricescope members and the store/designer I purchase the band from to help me in finding a center stone. I believe that to purchase it online would give me a cheaper price and better value based upon the large volume to choose from. Also prices seem to be going up everywhere so saving money where I can is important.

This sounds like a good plan! If you let us know what your budget for the center stone is we can suggest some options.

powers316

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your response slg47!

I did mean to say that my c factors were meant to be minimums. For instance I'd be happy with VS1, VVS2, VVS1, etc.

Today I did make it to the store and found that on the specific emerald cut diamond I saw that the G color was noticeably shaded yellow. Compared to an F made a big enough difference to me that F has become my new minimum for color.

I'm looking for carat between 1.0-1.2. I'm not as much concerned about hitting a carat weight number as I am of the surface area. I've seen some stones with higher carat weight but lower surface area. My budget is $8,000 for the center stone and $3,500 for the setting with an overall max of $10,000 so I'd have to balance the budget between the stone and setting to meet that overall budget. However if prices continue to increase I may have to increase my overall budget to be able to purchase what's in my price range now.

I'm still about 4-5 months out from buying a center stone, but seeing an example of a good valued center stone that falls within my means and criteria would be helpful!

Thanks so much!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

The shape selector may be helpful in determining what ratio you like.
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/aga-diamond-shape-selector
Here is one from JamesAllen
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1216753.asp
...although I would go to Good Old Gold since they can make videos.

ETA what lighting did you look at the diamonds in? I find that the store lighting makes diamonds look more yellow than they do in real life...not that there is anything wrong with wanting colorless but the environment may be altering your perception of color.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock

Congrats on starting a diamond hunting journey! :wavey:

May I ask, was this G Emerald cut a GIA E or AGS? If not, that may explain why it is so yellow. Also, as mentioned, the lighting environment as well.

It may very well be that you are just very color sensitive as well-- especially in a cut like the Emerald.

powers316

Rough_Rock

slg47, Thanks for the shape selector tool and the jamesallen diamond! This will be invaluable to me! There seems to be some real savings had by purchasing a diamond online especially with the additional discount pricescope visitors gain on jamesallen or other sites.

I wasn't even thinking about the store lighting! I tell everyone who goes to purchase an HDTV the same thing about lighting a store, but didn't think of it when it came to the diamonds. Is there anything I can do in a store to get a more natural look?

*Twinkle*twinkle*, I'm excited and scared to start this journey, but hopefully being prepared will end in a a perfect ring! I don't remember if it was GIA or AGs, but I believe it was GIA. It was definitely one of the recognized and trusted certification authorities. I believe you're right, I may be a little sensitive so I'll have to see a few more examples to be sure.

Thanks so much everyone! Maybe one of you will be the 3 millionth post, you'd definitely deserve it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results