shape
carat
color
clarity

1ct solitaire or Annette U-prong Eternity?

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Last year I posted about losing my old wedding set and looking for a replacement. I wasn't sure what I really wanted at that point, and after trying on many different styles over the last few months, I was surprised to gravitate towards MRBs in simple solitaires or eternity bands.

I'm really torn at the moment between purchasing a ~1.25 ct, J colored ACA in a simple solitaire setting, or an Annette U-prong eternity band that I'd wear with a plain gold or platinum band.

What I'd really love is a 2 ct solitaire but it's not in the budget right now. When I try on a 1 ct stone it doesn't make my heart sing. I love the Annette band, I think it has enough presence, and I could get it in .15 pointers. If I choose the Annette band, however, I'm worried that will regret not buying a single stone. The value of the Annette band cannot be applied towards a larger diamond purchase down the road, while the 1.25 ct stone can. So I could get the 1 ct now and potentially upgrade to a 2ct in a year or two, but not be totally in love with the size of the solitaire in the mean time ( although I do love the classic look); or get the Annette band and enjoy it, and put the 2ct stone on hold for a longer while.

Any thoughts on pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgrading can cost money in unexpected ways - at the very least your old setting will be unusable, with that much size difference, and you'll be tied to one vendor that may not have what you want when you're ready to upgrade... If you can see yourself wearing and enjoying an eternity for years to come that'd be my suggestion over an "in-the-meanwhilst" solitaire that doesn't quite do it for you. An eternity is nice in that in can complement a future solitaire, vs. replacing a current piece with something new ::)

Diamond prices will go up, but... IMO enjoying what you have *now* is worth the small premium you'll pay for waiting to get the dream solitaire.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The practical side of me is saying it probably makes more sense to go with the single diamond, since your goal is to eventually upgrade. Would the diamond be 1.25 or 1 carat? You mention both weights in your post. IMO there's a visual difference between the two. I saw in another thread that you wear a 4.5 so a 1.25 stone would look substantial on your hand! You can jazz it up with bands too, you can find good deals on the secondary market. That said, an eternity would be lovely too and might scratch the itch for bling so that you won't mind holding off on the 2 carat. And at the end of the day you'd have both an eternity and a large diamond. It's a tough call and I'm sure I haven't helped lol - ultimately it comes down to what you would prefer, and what would work out better for you financially.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have your heart set on working with whiteflash?

In the eternity band thread there seemed to be a lot of eternity bands from IDJ. Never hurts to get a quote from them.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your responses. I feel so indecisive, it's a tough call and a wonderful dilemma to have all at once.

Yssie - Thank you for being so thoughtful. I'm leaning more towards the eternity band. It would bother me to throw money away in new settings to accommodate upgrades, when that $ could go towards other pieces I want down the road, like a Cartier Tank. And I agree that thoroughly enjoying what I do have is what this is all about, otherwise it's not worth spending the $ in my opinion.

junebug17 - I wear about a 4.75 and with my budget I can probably stretch to a 1.25 ct, probably.

pintobean - no I'm not 100% set on working with them, I just like what I've read about their quality. I've heard good things about ID jewelry as well. I'm actually traveling to NY next weekend and might visit them. Thank you for suggesting them.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you visit, call and confirm their hours. I believe they usually close on Saturdays.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about putting the 1.25 in a halo? Even a small halo plumps up the stone significantly. James Allen has some halo settings that aren't too expensive.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean - Thanks for reminding me. I'm aiming to make it there on Friday. I have a morning appointment and then I'm going to beeline it to the diamond district to hopefully make it before 2:30pm.

Jambalaya - I know without a doubt that I'm not a halo girl. They look gorgeous and I admire them on others but I like a clean look with simple lines. But, my problem could be that I've mostly tried on mrb's on the classic six-prong Tiffany setting. Maybe a more modern setting would make a 1.25 look different.

My dream ring is a 2 - 2.5 ct MRB with tapered baguette sides.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, well if you like clean lines, what about a modern bezel? I know it's not as plumping as a halo but I do think that bezels help stones look bigger. Solitaires look smallest in claw settings, IMO. Here's what I mean. Danhov does a lovely full bezel but they're much more expensive than JA

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/tension/14k-white-gold-bezel-set-round-shaped-diamond-solitaire-ring-item-1704

This one is quite jazzy - crown and bezel, clean lines: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-crown-bezel-engagment-ring-item-53324

Thinner version of the first: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-bezel-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53292

And yet a different version! http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-round-center-item-3251

And Blue Nile's version: http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/bezel-solitaire-ring-14k-white-gold_48186?elem=img&track=product

All of the linked rings come in different color metals and different weights. I think any of them would plump up a 1.25 very nicely.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel you. I had the same dilemma, trying to decide between a 3 stone, solitaire or 5 stone. I couldn't swing the 3 stone, so it was between the solitaire and 5 stone. Hubby preferred I get the solitaire which is what I did, but what is nice about a anniversary style rings, no matter what you do later with rings you have that band to wear, to either wear with other rings or switch out to wear solo. A couple of my coworkers have very nice 5 stone rings and I enjoy looking at them in joint meetings :love:

The main thing is, to pick out something that even if you are not able to upgrade in the future, you will still enjoy the ring in the here and now. Only you knows what will make you most happy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results