shape
carat
color
clarity

18k gold pendant turned rusty colored after ultrasonic cleaner

lavieenviolet078

Rough_Rock
I'm hoping you guys can weigh in on what might be wrong with my necklace!

I have an 18k gold and sapphire cross pendant. My dad had bought this for me in 2018 as a present and I wore it daily for quite awhile. It's insured based off of the information on the receipt for around $2500. I recently replaced the chain with one I liked better (which is 14k YG), and decided to go ahead and clean the pendant thoroughly before putting it on again.

I have a soft toothbrush I use to clean my jewelry. I used the toothbrush and some eco-friendly dish soap to gently scrub the pendant. Then, I placed the pendant, chain, and 2 rings (14k wg with sapphire and 14k yg plain band) into the ultrasonic cleaner. I did two rounds of cleaning, and as I was rinsing, I noticed that the bail where you put the chain through had turned a rusty/coppery color on top. I used a Q tip with some more cleaning solution but this didn't remove any of the discoloration.

Does anyone know how this could possibly have happened and what can be done about it? The necklace is marked 750 on the back. Above the 750 are 3 additional numbers that look like they might say 698. I can upload a picture later of the hallmark and damaged area. Any help on what this might be and if it can be fixed is really appreciated. My dad was so kind to buy me this gift and I don't want to tell him something happened to it :(

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some photos would help.
However, I don't think the ultrasonic did anything to your pendant bail.
The ultrasonic uses vibration to clean the gunk from your jewelry. There is no chemical reaction or anything like that going on.
Are you sure the bail wasn't in that condition before you put it in the ultrasonic?

lavieenviolet078

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry for the blurry pictures. My phone camera doesn't seem to be the greatest. The first picture you can see a sort of coppery, rusty color on the very top of the necklace. The second one just shows what the front looks like for reference.

lavieenviolet078

Rough_Rock
Some photos would help.
However, I don't think the ultrasonic did anything to your pendant bail.
The ultrasonic uses vibration to clean the gunk from your jewelry. There is no chemical reaction or anything like that going on.
Are you sure the bail wasn't in that condition before you put it in the ultrasonic?

Thank you for your reply. I don't think it was, but the necklace was fairly dirty since this one is one that I tend to put on and not take off. I did put some Seventh Generation dish soap on the soft brush and brush the areas that needed some help prior to putting in the ultrasonic.

lavieenviolet078

Rough_Rock
Also I wanted to add I mentioned the chain and rings and what they were made out of in case some kind of contact with any of the other materials could have caused the color to change like this.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I think 698 means gold filled?

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
The copper color is in a strange position to be plating wearing as it's in a recessed area, if it were a plating wearing off the ridges on either side should be coppery. It may be a residue uncovered by the removal of dirt, can you try rubbing it with a rouge cloth? Also try rubbing just that part with some acetone / nail polish remover, it's harmless to metal.

lavieenviolet078

Rough_Rock
Could the bail be plated?
That's a good question. The woman told my dad this necklace was solid 18k and it's stamped 750. There is another stamp above that that looks like it says 696 or 698.

1608270476664.png

lavieenviolet078

Rough_Rock
The copper color is in a strange position to be plating wearing as it's in a recessed area, if it were a plating wearing off the ridges on either side should be coppery. It may be a residue uncovered by the removal of dirt, can you try rubbing it with a rouge cloth? Also try rubbing just that part with some acetone / nail polish remover, it's harmless to metal.

I will try that and see if it works, thank you!

lavieenviolet078

Rough_Rock

I tried the acetone, it does seem to have returned to a yellow color for the most part. Only the very inner ridge where the filigree is attached to the base is still a bit reddish. I'll keep trying and get a cloth as well. would it hurt to soak it for a few minutes in the acetone?

Thanks!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could the bail be plated?

There is another thread lately???
Someone talking about bails not being the same carot as the rest of the piece???
Maybe someone will remember

lavieenviolet078

Rough_Rock
There is another thread lately???
Someone talking about bails not being the same carot as the rest of the piece???
Maybe someone will remember
I didn't make a separate thread but if anyone does know what the mark above the 750 means I'd love to find out!

This one is supposed to be solid 18k and if not I would want to have the jeweler exchange for one that actually is.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't make a separate thread but if anyone does know what the mark above the 750 means I'd love to find out!

This one is supposed to be solid 18k and if not I would want to have the jeweler exchange for one that actually is.

Oh sorry
I ment just recently someone had a piece where the bale wasn't the same as the rest of the piece
I'm thinking it might be for strength just from what i can remember from the other thread

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I tried the acetone, it does seem to have returned to a yellow color for the most part. Only the very inner ridge where the filigree is attached to the base is still a bit reddish. I'll keep trying and get a cloth as well. would it hurt to soak it for a few minutes in the acetone?

Thanks!

Great!! That really makes me think it's a residue exposed by cleaning, plating doesn't come off in inner crevasses and stay on in raised areas, it would be the reverse.

The only risk I can think of would be if there is hidden glue or organic material somewhere... but to avoid unnecessary exposure you can soak a small cotton ball or piece of issue in the acetone until it's sopping wet, press it against the spot, and wrap in plastic wrap to avoid evaporation.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see a hallmark or any stamp on the pendant. The bail is a different color. Both are unexpected.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results