shape
carat
color
clarity

Allergies/Allergy Shots

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I finally went to the allergist yesterday... I have literally been dragging my feet on going for YEARS, but lately my asthma symptoms have been worsening and on top of the irritating itchiness and skin rashes I have been really cloudy/foggyheaded, sleeping poorly and exhausted all the time. I feel sick almost every day.

They did scratch testing on my back and injections on my arms. In all they tested for 40-50 allergens and I am allergic to all but 7. The doctor gave me a chart that noted everything I am allergic to along with a number rating the severity--0 being not allergic and 4+ being extremely allergic. I am in the range of 3-4+ on 90% of the allergens.

I am currently on Advair 500mg, prednesone, flonase and Zyrtec for my allergies/allergy-induced asthma, but the doctor strongly recommended that I start a course of allergy shots. I am planning on starting the shots, but from what I have heard, people have varying levels of success with allergy shots and I have heard from several people that they felt horrible when they first started the treatment. My allergist said that after treatment I will be about 80% improved--which is very promising--and improving my allergy syptoms will also decrease my risk of developing COPD later in life (which is a huge concern for me). Also, my allergies effect my quality of life--I can't always spend time outside hiking and doing things I love because I get so wheezy and itchy... and I am such an animal lover, but our dog makes me break out in hives anywhere he licks me and I LOVE cats and horses but I can't be around them because I am so allergic.

I am just looking to get an idea of what I can expect--did allergy shots improve your health/quality of life enough to make the 2-3x weekly trips to the doctors for the injections? How did you feel when you started the shots? Did your symptoms worsen before they got better, and if so, how long until you started improving?

Thank you!!!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
tuffy, I've been having a bad allergy day, although nothing like what it sounds you go through. I took shots for a few years when I lived in Iowa and they really didn't do me any good. Just made more money for the doctors. I quit in college because the nurse at student health who gave all the shots was a bitch. If she was having a bad day, so would your arm. Most of what I'm allergic to is impossible to get away from anyhow.
However, in your case, I think you should try them. My grandfather had asthma, hay fever and emphysema most of his adult life. He took different medications through the years, but that's all he would do. His doctors were always trying to get him to do breathing exercises, but he was from that generation that wanted everything from a pill. He never could've gotten a lung transplant because of other health problems. Cold weather was hard on him; stairs were a nightmare sometimes. When he died, the doctor said his heart was still very healthy, his lungs were so full of scar tissue, they couldn't do their job.
It's important to do whatever you can now to keep your lungs healthy. I'm truly not trying to scare you, but nowadays, you really need to be an active participant in your own health care.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the only one in my family to not be allergic to practically everything. Because DH started his shots late (tried OTC for umpteen years until it seemed to no longer have any effect), he has to get a second series of shots. For my boys, they tested and started at the first sign of allergies and are doing far better than DH. They show no symptoms at all. My eldest is on his final year of shots and I doubt he needs to start a new series. My youngest looks to be the same. DH still suffers from nasal congestion and itchy watery eyes at the peak pollen season but at least he is able to go outdoors now.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
In all honesty, I last had allergy shots as an adolescent, so my memory is foggy at best! I only stopped because my mother caught me smoking and wasn't about to pay a copay on allergy shots when I was being so flip about my asthma/allergies.

I do remember thinking that despite local reactions, my allergies were significantly improved while undergoing immunotherapy. I truly think that properly administered immunotherapy can help both allergies and asthma. I had local reactions, but nothing like the horrible asthma attacks prior to therapy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The injection site will be itchy, hard and sore for a day, then be normal again the following day.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 rounds of allergy shots here! :wavey:

Since I was a mouth breather of a child, and, I kid you not, my pediatrician/pediatric allergist nonchalantly mentioned to my parents that people might think I was "dumb" in these United States of America :confused: with my mouth constantly agape ;( , I got tested for allergies... poke poke poke poke poke...! (It's amazing how certain things seen and heard as a child stick with you forever!) Dust popped up ASAP... and seasonal allergies. For a while, my parents were good about bringing me to the allergist once a week... then they started slacking - every other week, then every 3 weeks so that my doc would have to back off the doses. Eventually, my parents stopped bringing me. I think they took more for about 2 years.

In my 20s, with more pets than ever at my parents' house, I went back for an allergy test and another series of shots. There was definitely improvement since I was a child - but dust was still the #1 trigger. The same thing happened again, where my initial diligence eventually waned. (Doctor is 45 minutes away!) I think in general, I'm more tolerant of my triggers...All that matters is that no matter how much dust my fur babies kick up, I'm all good now!

In your case, I think it is definitely worth trying.

Also, how is your stress level? I find that the more stressed out I am, the more sensitive my skin becomes now (I get itchy...!). Diet affects me too. Kinda makes me wish I was a dumb-o mouth breathing kid again... :lol:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I went to an allergist because meds just didn't work. They tested for 80 things and a was allergic to 72 of them. Also allergic to bees, wasps, yellow jackets, etc. The shots were a huge commitment at first- 2x a week for the environmental stuff and 1x a week for the venom. Eventually the frequency decreased to where I was going twice a month, but in took almost 18 months to get to that point. I stopped getting the shots when I got pregnant (they are safe but it's outside my comfort zone). I just had my appt with the allergist (baby is 6 weeks) and I'm going to start up the venom shots soon. For now, I'm not getting the environmental shots because my allergies aren't bothering me.

As far as reactions, the environmental shots never bothered me other than a little redness. The venom shots would leave me with pretty decent welts. One time it was bad enough to where I had to stay in the office for an hour or so.

Feel free to ask any specific questions. For me, it has totally been with it. Just know it is a commitment and it takes a while to see results.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
This year has been the worst for me in a long time. I stopped shots 7 years ago and I am actually going to call next week to start again. I am loaded on my meds and I have been HAMMERING my inhalers this year. I went for a long time with shots 3x a week, then after many years of that down to 2x a week then after two years of that down to 1 time a week for two years and then off. And this is the first year I have been needing them again.

I used to have "Reactions" at the site, usually just a little itchy spot, but after a while that went down.

I reacted to all but 3 of my pricks on that test, and my back was essentially a huge welt. It was grotesque. They loaded me on benadryl and sent me home. The last time I got prick tested was 5 years ago, and I still had huge welts and it was still just as bad. But USUALLY prior to now I did fine with an alternation of Zyrtec, Allegra and Benadryl lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh has been getting allergy shots for a long time now since he is allergic to our cats. When he was tested he was found to be allergic to a lot more than just cats and dogs. I cannot remember exactly but dust, ragweed, mold, trees, etc. It seemed he also tested positive to everything they tested him for so the shots benefited him in many ways.

I cannot remember how long he has been getting them exactly but close to a decade or a bit more than that. They really have helped and continue to do so. Some people can stop after a while. My dh got them weekly in the beginning for about a year (or less) or so then every 2 weeks and then every 4 weeks and he is currently getting them once/monthly. All in all it is about a 10 minute visit now. In the beginning he had to wait around after the shot for a while for them to check that he was OK reaction wise but now he just gets the shot and goes. It's easy peasy for him now and he is very pleased with the results. Before this he couldn't even be in the same room as dogs and very allergic to cats (asthma, hives etc) and now he can be around all sorts of animals all at once (which in my family often happens LOL). He has been able to reduce much of the medication once the shots started becoming effective.

Good luck with your decision Tuffy- I think it is definitely worth a try. But give it some time to start working.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I had pretty much weekly allergy shots from 8th grade until senior year of college--so 9 years. They helped get rid of my dog allergy entirely, and reduced most of my seasonal allergy symptoms to very manageable with Zyrtec and a nasal inhaler during some seasons. I still cannot be around cats (even on Zyrtec) for more than a couple hours without getting wheezy, but life is a lot better. I get far fewer sinus infections, colds, etc. now than I did as a kid/teen. It definitely took a time commitment, and certainly don't expect the shots to work after just a few months. I would get itchy reaction sites, especially if they recently reformulated my serum, but I never had an extreme reaction other than what looked like a big hive on my arm at the injection site. Good luck! :wavey:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
20 years of allergy shots here. I live where there are lots of weeds and pollen and am very allergic, spring and the fall. I am Not a success story. I do get allergy shots because they kind of help; I am worse off if I don't get them. I guess it depends on how allergic you are and how your body will respond to immunology. Some people do awesome and others not so much. I actually had another scratch test to see how my allergies have changed; only Juniper I seem to deal with better.

So what should you expect. You aren't suppose to take any meds 48 hours before your shots, you can mask a reaction. You get a tiny amount of what you are allergic to and they build you up; I have a blend of various, trees, grass and weeds. I also am allergic to foods. Anyway, they give you a shot, you wait 20 mins and then rinse and repeat (they increase your dose tiny increment by tiny increment); any reactions you have you should tell them, itchy body, if if you have a reaction after you leave (I sometimes get some of these and you just monitor them or take allergy meds to control the reaction). It isn't a big deal for the most part unless you have a bad reaction but you should mention if it happens; they might not increase your dose as much and that helps prevent further reactions. It is a slow process. You aren't suppose to exercise within a certain amount of time from or before your shot because that can increase your chances for a reaction. You will probably receive a sheet saying what to look for in a reaction, when to call and when to take an antihistamine; Benadryl gets into your system quicker but they will advise you. I hope you are the population the responds well to immunology. It takes a long long time but you honestly can tell if there is a difference or not for about 2 years I would say.

I understand completely what you are saying about the quality of life and what allergies does to a person. I use to think I always had a cold, runny nose, sinus issues, being exhausted (I notice I am super tired when some of my worst allergies are in bloom). I am sorry you are dealing with this but I honestly would try it out if you have insurance. It is an investment in time and of course dollars but some people respond really well to it. good luck!

Reactions: I have some redness on my arm, a few times they increased my dose too quickly (I am sensitive to too quick of an increase) but I had lots of coughing/wheezing, small hives and benadryl helped and they increased my dose very little and once diluted my extraction since I had it happen a few times (I haven't had that happen in a long time though).

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had 4 full rounds of allergy shots and I quit before I wasnthrough with the last round. I have found them very helpful and each round gave me immunity that lasted about 10 years. I quit the last round because my allergist died and I really wasnt crazy about the doctor who replaced him. He wanted to do a speedier therapy and I was really feeling the effects. I felt pretty icky for a couple days after each shot. So my advice would be, if you are really feeling badly after the shots week after week, ask for a slower approach.

I am sure I havent had my last round.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
texaskj|1348271734|3272523 said:
tuffy, I've been having a bad allergy day, although nothing like what it sounds you go through. I took shots for a few years when I lived in Iowa and they really didn't do me any good. Just made more money for the doctors. I quit in college because the nurse at student health who gave all the shots was a bitch. If she was having a bad day, so would your arm. Most of what I'm allergic to is impossible to get away from anyhow.
However, in your case, I think you should try them. My grandfather had asthma, hay fever and emphysema most of his adult life. He took different medications through the years, but that's all he would do. His doctors were always trying to get him to do breathing exercises, but he was from that generation that wanted everything from a pill. He never could've gotten a lung transplant because of other health problems. Cold weather was hard on him; stairs were a nightmare sometimes. When he died, the doctor said his heart was still very healthy, his lungs were so full of scar tissue, they couldn't do their job.
It's important to do whatever you can now to keep your lungs healthy. I'm truly not trying to scare you, but nowadays, you really need to be an active participant in your own health care.

This is exactly what I am afraid of happening to me... not that you are scaring me or telling me things I don't already know, but I just don't want to be 45 years old and on Oxygen.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1348281601|3272629 said:
2 rounds of allergy shots here! :wavey:

Since I was a mouth breather of a child, and, I kid you not, my pediatrician/pediatric allergist nonchalantly mentioned to my parents that people might think I was "dumb" in these United States of America :confused: with my mouth constantly agape ;( , I got tested for allergies... poke poke poke poke poke...! (It's amazing how certain things seen and heard as a child stick with you forever!) Dust popped up ASAP... and seasonal allergies. For a while, my parents were good about bringing me to the allergist once a week... then they started slacking - every other week, then every 3 weeks so that my doc would have to back off the doses. Eventually, my parents stopped bringing me. I think they took more for about 2 years.

In my 20s, with more pets than ever at my parents' house, I went back for an allergy test and another series of shots. There was definitely improvement since I was a child - but dust was still the #1 trigger. The same thing happened again, where my initial diligence eventually waned. (Doctor is 45 minutes away!) I think in general, I'm more tolerant of my triggers...All that matters is that no matter how much dust my fur babies kick up, I'm all good now!

In your case, I think it is definitely worth trying.

Also, how is your stress level? I find that the more stressed out I am, the more sensitive my skin becomes now (I get itchy...!). Diet affects me too. Kinda makes me wish I was a dumb-o mouth breathing kid again... :lol:

Stress definitely does effect me. I get itchier when I am stressed too. I haven't been tested for food allergies, but I seem to have some sensitivities to wheat and dairy. I don't really want to acknowledge those, though, as I absolutely LOVE bread, cheese and pasta and I would be so depressed not to be able to eat those things anymore

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1348277414|3272593 said:
I'm the only one in my family to not be allergic to practically everything. Because DH started his shots late (tried OTC for umpteen years until it seemed to no longer have any effect), he has to get a second series of shots. For my boys, they tested and started at the first sign of allergies and are doing far better than DH. They show no symptoms at all. My eldest is on his final year of shots and I doubt he needs to start a new series. My youngest looks to be the same. DH still suffers from nasal congestion and itchy watery eyes at the peak pollen season but at least he is able to go outdoors now.[/quote"

I don't have children yet, but I truly hope they don't inherit my allergies... good to know that starting them on allergy shots young seems to help!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1348362280|3273025 said:
I went to an allergist because meds just didn't work. They tested for 80 things and a was allergic to 72 of them. Also allergic to bees, wasps, yellow jackets, etc. The shots were a huge commitment at first- 2x a week for the environmental stuff and 1x a week for the venom. Eventually the frequency decreased to where I was going twice a month, but in took almost 18 months to get to that point. I stopped getting the shots when I got pregnant (they are safe but it's outside my comfort zone). I just had my appt with the allergist (baby is 6 weeks) and I'm going to start up the venom shots soon. For now, I'm not getting the environmental shots because my allergies aren't bothering me.

As far as reactions, the environmental shots never bothered me other than a little redness. The venom shots would leave me with pretty decent welts. One time it was bad enough to where I had to stay in the office for an hour or so.

Feel free to ask any specific questions. For me, it has totally been with it. Just know it is a commitment and it takes a while to see results.

Yikes! You are even more allergic than me! Good to hear that the shots have helped with your environmental allergies--I hope they work as well for the venom!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Munchkin|1348277744|3272598 said:
In all honesty, I last had allergy shots as an adolescent, so my memory is foggy at best! I only stopped because my mother caught me smoking and wasn't about to pay a copay on allergy shots when I was being so flip about my asthma/allergies.

I do remember thinking that despite local reactions, my allergies were significantly improved while undergoing immunotherapy. I truly think that properly administered immunotherapy can help both allergies and asthma. I had local reactions, but nothing like the horrible asthma attacks prior to therapy.

That's funny... sounds like something I would have done ;P I rebelled and smoked in my teens and twenties--not regularly, but I knew how bad it was for me and I hated the way it made me feel and the way cigarettes tasted, but I did it anyways... Ahhh, so young and stupid...

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1348364517|3273040 said:
This year has been the worst for me in a long time. I stopped shots 7 years ago and I am actually going to call next week to start again. I am loaded on my meds and I have been HAMMERING my inhalers this year. I went for a long time with shots 3x a week, then after many years of that down to 2x a week then after two years of that down to 1 time a week for two years and then off. And this is the first year I have been needing them again.

I used to have "Reactions" at the site, usually just a little itchy spot, but after a while that went down.

I reacted to all but 3 of my pricks on that test, and my back was essentially a huge welt. It was grotesque. They loaded me on benadryl and sent me home. The last time I got prick tested was 5 years ago, and I still had huge welts and it was still just as bad. But USUALLY prior to now I did fine with an alternation of Zyrtec, Allegra and Benadryl lol

Good to hear that despite your lack of desensitization to your allergens, the shots at least helped to lessen your symptoms... My back was all horrible and welty too--in fact, I still have a few spots that are still red and swollen days later!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1348396928|3273128 said:
My dh has been getting allergy shots for a long time now since he is allergic to our cats. When he was tested he was found to be allergic to a lot more than just cats and dogs. I cannot remember exactly but dust, ragweed, mold, trees, etc. It seemed he also tested positive to everything they tested him for so the shots benefited him in many ways.

I cannot remember how long he has been getting them exactly but close to a decade or a bit more than that. They really have helped and continue to do so. Some people can stop after a while. My dh got them weekly in the beginning for about a year (or less) or so then every 2 weeks and then every 4 weeks and he is currently getting them once/monthly. All in all it is about a 10 minute visit now. In the beginning he had to wait around after the shot for a while for them to check that he was OK reaction wise but now he just gets the shot and goes. It's easy peasy for him now and he is very pleased with the results. Before this he couldn't even be in the same room as dogs and very allergic to cats (asthma, hives etc) and now he can be around all sorts of animals all at once (which in my family often happens LOL). He has been able to reduce much of the medication once the shots started becoming effective.

Good luck with your decision Tuffy- I think it is definitely worth a try. But give it some time to start working.

Thats wonderful that his animal allergies are better! I LOVE animals, and it makes me so sad to be so terribly allergic to them. my FMIL is a nurse and she worked for an allergist for a while--she warned me before I went in for my appointment that I would more than likely me scolded for having a dog... thank god the doctor is reasonable and understands that having a pet is part of quality of life. However, my quality of life would be improved if I could have a pet and not sneeze my head off and scratch myself raw every day! And if I could get a kitty and start riding again, I would be like a pig in sh!t!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth|1348414546|3273176 said:
I had pretty much weekly allergy shots from 8th grade until senior year of college--so 9 years. They helped get rid of my dog allergy entirely, and reduced most of my seasonal allergy symptoms to very manageable with Zyrtec and a nasal inhaler during some seasons. I still cannot be around cats (even on Zyrtec) for more than a couple hours without getting wheezy, but life is a lot better. I get far fewer sinus infections, colds, etc. now than I did as a kid/teen. It definitely took a time commitment, and certainly don't expect the shots to work after just a few months. I would get itchy reaction sites, especially if they recently reformulated my serum, but I never had an extreme reaction other than what looked like a big hive on my arm at the injection site. Good luck! :wavey:

Thanks! Yes, the doctor warned me that it's quite a committment, but all in all it seems like it's worth it... that's amazing that your dog allergy is gone--I hope I can be as lucky!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy|1348448547|3273360 said:
20 years of allergy shots here. I live where there are lots of weeds and pollen and am very allergic, spring and the fall. I am Not a success story. I do get allergy shots because they kind of help; I am worse off if I don't get them. I guess it depends on how allergic you are and how your body will respond to immunology. Some people do awesome and others not so much. I actually had another scratch test to see how my allergies have changed; only Juniper I seem to deal with better.

So what should you expect. You aren't suppose to take any meds 48 hours before your shots, you can mask a reaction. You get a tiny amount of what you are allergic to and they build you up; I have a blend of various, trees, grass and weeds. I also am allergic to foods. Anyway, they give you a shot, you wait 20 mins and then rinse and repeat (they increase your dose tiny increment by tiny increment); any reactions you have you should tell them, itchy body, if if you have a reaction after you leave (I sometimes get some of these and you just monitor them or take allergy meds to control the reaction). It isn't a big deal for the most part unless you have a bad reaction but you should mention if it happens; they might not increase your dose as much and that helps prevent further reactions. It is a slow process. You aren't suppose to exercise within a certain amount of time from or before your shot because that can increase your chances for a reaction. You will probably receive a sheet saying what to look for in a reaction, when to call and when to take an antihistamine; Benadryl gets into your system quicker but they will advise you. I hope you are the population the responds well to immunology. It takes a long long time but you honestly can tell if there is a difference or not for about 2 years I would say.

I understand completely what you are saying about the quality of life and what allergies does to a person. I use to think I always had a cold, runny nose, sinus issues, being exhausted (I notice I am super tired when some of my worst allergies are in bloom). I am sorry you are dealing with this but I honestly would try it out if you have insurance. It is an investment in time and of course dollars but some people respond really well to it. good luck!

Reactions: I have some redness on my arm, a few times they increased my dose too quickly (I am sensitive to too quick of an increase) but I had lots of coughing/wheezing, small hives and benadryl helped and they increased my dose very little and once diluted my extraction since I had it happen a few times (I haven't had that happen in a long time though).

Luckily I live in Southern California--less change in seasons means less severe allergy seasons (supposedly)... I would hate to see what I would be like anywhere else! I had NO allergies and my asthma hardly bothered me at all when I lived in Hawaii. I am more allergic to grass/weed and tree pollen, and less allergic to molds, so a warm, damp/humid climate seems to be best for me. Our jobs are here, so we can't move to Hawaii anytime soon, but we're looking at buying property there so we have the option of retiring there.

I'm sorry to here that immunology hasn't helped you much. I have good insurance so, like you said, it's worth a try, at least!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
luv2sparkle|1348450122|3273381 said:
I have had 4 full rounds of allergy shots and I quit before I wasnthrough with the last round. I have found them very helpful and each round gave me immunity that lasted about 10 years. I quit the last round because my allergist died and I really wasnt crazy about the doctor who replaced him. He wanted to do a speedier therapy and I was really feeling the effects. I felt pretty icky for a couple days after each shot. So my advice would be, if you are really feeling badly after the shots week after week, ask for a slower approach.

I am sure I havent had my last round.

Thanks for the tip--I'll keep it in mind if I am feeling terrible after the shots. I hope you find a doctor that you like better for your next round!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results