shape
carat
color
clarity

Market Value for Antique and Vintage Cuts

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am currently looking for an OEC or transitional that is D,E,F and VS or better and a higher quality cut. 1.0 - 1.5 ct diamond. I have been reading and told by some that a stone with those parameters is difficult to come by as those stones are usually recut to today's market demand standards. I have also seen in areas that have retirement communities, such as Florida, etc., there are more and more antique/vintage cuts available. I have found a later OEC/transitional diamond that is 1.15 ct. F VS1 and a nice cut for $9K. It looks like more and more estates are selling these diamonds / rings to dealers as the 1900's ladies are now passing away. My thinking is the market is going to get better with choices, so my question is should I wait thinking that with an increase in supply, the cost will go down in the future? Or with an increase in supply, will these higher-quality stones will be recut to today's market demand of RBC? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm I dont know if you should wait thinking vintage diamond costs will go down. Prices overall have been on the increase...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it has been happening for a long time that higher color OEC's were recut into modern stones. It may not be happening as much now because they are popular again. Women who were married between 1900 and 1930 are pretty much all gone now! If they were born in 1910, they'd be over 100 now! So I think those rings have been coming on the market for a good while. So waiting is probably not going to be a very good idea!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well-cut antique stones, esp in the high colors are NOT easy to find.

My advise: If you find one you LOVE, please buy it - you may not come across another one like it for a veerryyy long time (unfortunately).

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds hold up pretty well over time and people tend to treasure them. This may seem obvious but one of the effects of this is that nearly every diamond ever mined is still out there. They change hands every 50 years or less. Some of that is through inheritance or gifts, some is sales to dealers, some is direct sale to a new consumer, and there are lots of combinations and permutations of this. There’s nothing new about any of this and the secondary market is well established. Whether or not you can use your own skills or just luck to find and buy a ‘deal’ depends more on you than the merchandise but nothing new has happened here. If anything the prices on older cuts are rising because the dealers are having better luck selling them as they are rather than by recutting (which costs money, takes time, contains risks, and produces a smaller stone). A 1.xx ct/VS/DEF of decent or better cutting would be a hot item and I would be very surprised if ANYONE would cut it so the pricing is going to be based on what it is, not what it might become.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What you (everyone here) have said gives me a clearer understanding of what is happening in the market. You have brought up solid points that I have not realized. Many, many thanks! =)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you end up getting that stone- please post pics :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are looking for the the spec of gold dust on the needle in the hackstack ;)) If you find it, snap it up!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Hard to find that color with that clarity in an antique. Watch the GOG videos and you will find that a well cut I/J will look whiter and perform better than a higher color but poor cut stone. Educate yourself and color will not be as important as you think. Go to jewelry stores and look at some lower color stones that are cut well and you will see that they face up very white.

Cut is KING!...not color. Good luck

www.goodoldgold.com

Here are some on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230511764907?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220655399671?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360433608431?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all of this information. I will see the F/VS1 diamond tomorrow and if it is "the one", I will post pictures. If not, then I will now feel comfortable with a warmer color but great cut!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
kathley|1330179086|3134117 said:
I have also seen in areas that have retirement communities, such as Florida, etc., there are more and more antique/vintage cuts available.

Quite sad, but I guess you can't take it with you. :???:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results