shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your Help 2.54 J/VS2 vs 3.01 J/SI1 (Med. blue Flour)

bigsparkles

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I have been on the diamond hunt for the past month and have narrowed down the diamonds to the 2 below. I would like to get your opinions on both- which one would you get? There is a 8,500.00 $ difference between the two, the 3.01 being the more expensive one.

2.54 J/VS- GIA, 3 x EX

8.89x8.95x5.27

Table- 59%
Depth -59.1%
Crown -33.5%
pavilion -40.8

3.01 J/VS- GIA, 3 x EX (Med Blue Fluor)

9.30x9.33x5.66

Table- 59%
Depth -60.71%
Crown -33.5%
pavilion -41%

I will attached pics as well as the link to the diamonds from JA which will give you a larger image of the diamond. I wanted to best cut, largest diamond I can have in my budget of course eye clean as well... Given the size between the two are not that different, I am kind of confused at which one to get-- also considering the price difference. Looking at the pic they sent, you can def. tell that the 3.01 is whiter bc of the blue fluor., the only concern is when I spoke with the gemologist she said as long as you dont mind your diamond glowing when you get your nails done then I shouldn't worry about it. -_- I hadn't thought about that... She personally told me she doesn't like the fluorescence (I respect her honesty ). The VS2 is def eye clean ( I went to NY to see it in person a couple of weekends ago, but didnt see this 3.01 till this week and cant make another trip up there) . The gemologist also said that the SI1 would be eye clean to most people unless you looped it and saw where the inclusion was and then looked at the diamond. She also said its a 'low light' ???? -- i think that's what she said.. inclusion? Anyways, your opinion would really help me as I have to decide by tomorrow.

1) Please tell me what you think of the diamonds
2) Which one would you go with
3) Did the price difference factor into the decision for question 2?

Large Picture of 2.54
http://www.jamesallen.com/DiamPics/IDP352-1pic.jpg
(Does anyone know what that circle with the line that looks like geometry means?)

Large Picture of 3.01
http://www.jamesallen.com/DiamPics/NR3443-27pic.jpg

Thank you for reading.

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

2.54.jpg

3.01.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Need your Help 2.54 J/VS2 vs 3.01 J/SI1 (Med. blue Flou

So the 3.01ct looks whiter, due no doubt to the flour, it also has better symmetry in the ideal scope so out of the two I prefer it. Not sure I could justify the extra $8.5k tho!

bigsparkles

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your input. The 3.01 looks like a better stone in the pictures but you're right... Its hard to justify the price difference.

Chuckenator

Rough_Rock

who doesn't like the fluorescence? The jeweler or the girlfriend? Who cares if the jeweler doesn't like it - if it's the girlfriend then there's no question between the two stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was prepared to say the smaller one because I prefer VS2 and I think 2.5 is huge, but the 3 ct. is definitely whiter and does have a better idealscope image. I think med blue is a PLUS and advantage in a J color stone. I guess it all depends on whether you are after the largest possible size or not. I personally would look for an I or J with fluor. under 3 cts.

bigsparkles

Rough_Rock

The gemologist didn't like the flour.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

First, she likely said the inclusion in the SI1 was "low relief" which means that it does not stand out, I think.

Second, the little circle in the photos if the magnification tool thingy I think, irrelevant here.

Third, that is not the fluor making the SI1 look less tinted, it seems to me to be a less tinted stone. There is a range of tints that can get a certai ncolor grade and so you can get more and less tinted Js. Perhaps the VS stone was bordering on K and the grader made the judgement call.

Me personally, if I could afford the extra 8k, I would get the larger stone because it is better cut and also whiter and bigger! Or I would look for a different 2.5ct stone that was better cut or less tinted, perhaps pay to go up the color scale. For some reason, I am not a fan of that 2.5ct J at all, particularly because it looks like a rather more tinted J than you could find.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1328835418|3122800 said:
I was prepared to say the smaller one because I prefer VS2 and I think 2.5 is huge, but the 3 ct. is definitely whiter and does have a better idealscope image. I think med blue is a PLUS and advantage in a J color stone. I guess it all depends on whether you are after the largest possible size or not. I personally would look for an I or J with fluor. under 3 cts.

This! I definitely prefer the IS on the 3ct and absolutely love fluorescence.

bigsparkles

Rough_Rock

I was also thinking that it was a higher J more closer to a K. It does seem very yellow to me. Ive been on Good old Golds website trying to compare their images/videos of J's vs mine and none of theirs seem like the VS2 J. But again, they seem to have better lighting equipment...etc.

Thanks for your input!

bigsparkles

Rough_Rock

Also the gemologist at JA said the 2.54 has better light and fire return compared to the 3.01

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results