shape
carat
color
clarity

Beginnings of engagement ring shopping--have a few questions

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
I’ve been reading the Pricescope forums for quite a while now but have never really posted. I’ve been with my boyfriend for over 2 years now and I think we’re just about ready to start seriously looking (purchase in March or April?). I’ve done a lot of online research and have been to a couple stores, but I mostly just browsed because I knew we weren’t looking seriously yet.

Our budget is $4,000-$5,000 for the whole shebang—diamond and setting. I was hoping to keep it closer to $4,000 though. I’m almost positive this is the setting I want: http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings/4015RD6 (if you click on the image you can see a side view, too). It’s really simple, but I like the milgraining and crescent detail on the side. My SO definitely wants platinum, so that’s gonna cost us about $1,600.

That leaves the diamond. I’m usually trying to find one around $3,000 but it usually ends up closer to $3,500. I’ve got teeny fingers—size 3.5—so I don’t need a huge diamond. I’m looking for a round brilliant between .75 and .90, hopefully something over .8. I’d love something over .9, too, but I’m trying to be realistic with our budget. I’m not sure how color sensitive I am, that’s something I need to decide while doing some more shopping. Usually when I search online I look at G, H, I, sometimes J. For clarity I am looking for VS1 or VS2, perhaps an SI1, if it’s eye-clean. I know most people on here say it’s kinda pointless to pay for anything over an SI1 if it’s eye-clean, but, this being my first diamond, I worry about the whole mind-clean aspect of things. I obviously want an excellent cut. I’m pretty sure I want H&A, but I need to see it in person still.

So after all that, here are my questions.

1. Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have a custom-made setting by BGD or WF to resemble the Tacori? The Tacori isn’t actually all that expensive, so my hunch is that anything custom wouldn’t be too much cheaper.

2. Is it any cheaper to buy the diamond and setting separately and then have a local jeweler set it? Or do you usually get a better “deal” to get the diamond and setting in one place?

3. We live in Philadelphia, and my SO has a friend who grew up in Delaware and supposedly has a great family jeweler there that we might check out. Through this site, I became so certain that we’d likely buy online that it seems weird to consider buying from a B&M store. I don’t know if they’d end up being any cheaper?

I know that no one is going to have definitive answers to my questions, I was just hoping for some input or anecdotes from personal experience.

Thanks in advance!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Beginnings of engagement ring shopping--have a few quest

PrincessNuggz|1297792262|2852434 said:
1. Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have a custom-made setting by BGD or WF to resemble the Tacori? The Tacori isn’t actually all that expensive, so my hunch is that anything custom wouldn’t be too much cheaper.

adding the milgrain would be easy but all of the details...I would just stick with the Tacori.

2. Is it any cheaper to buy the diamond and setting separately and then have a local jeweler set it? Or do you usually get a better “deal” to get the diamond and setting in one place?
usually not cheaper to get them separately because of shipping fees/mounting fees/etc.

3. We live in Philadelphia, and my SO has a friend who grew up in Delaware and supposedly has a great family jeweler there that we might check out. Through this site, I became so certain that we’d likely buy online that it seems weird to consider buying from a B&M store. I don’t know if they’d end up being any cheaper?
probably not, but you should do some online research and check before you go?

z

Rough_Rock

PrincessNuggz|1297792262|2852434 said:

The Delaware jeweler may be able to compete since there's no sales tax in DE, but make sure you get info so you can compare his prices to the online stores.

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the replies everyone!

slg47--I appreciate your input. Your replies are pretty much in line with my thinking. I really like GOG's stuff and they carry Tacori, but their diamond prices (beautiful as they are) are usually a little too steep for the size and quality I want. I also like BGD and WF, but their settings are all their own. I suppose I could have my setting shipped to them, but, as you said, that would incur extra expense, so it would be easier to have them make me a setting reminiscent of the Tacori.

bigdiamondtinygal--I really love the look of antique cuts--I was thinking of getting an August Vintage Round from GOG if the price was right. The stone you sent from JbEG is beautiful! You've given me something to think about...

z--the savings on tax are exactly what I was thinking. I was also hoping we'd get some special treatment since we have a friend of the jeweler, but I really have no idea. I know that's probably wishful thinking.

I guess I really just need to get out there and look. I have no problem with that, but sometimes getting my boyfriend in that frame of mind is a bit difficult.

z

Rough_Rock

PrincessNuggz|1297803093|2852581 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone!
z--the savings on tax are exactly what I was thinking. I was also hoping we'd get some special treatment since we have a friend of the jeweler, but I really have no idea. I know that's probably wishful thinking.

I guess I really just need to get out there and look. I have no problem with that, but sometimes getting my boyfriend in that frame of mind is a bit difficult.

Of course you won't be charged tax if you purchase online unless the source has a presence in PA. James Allen has showrooms in NYC and Frederick, MD neither of which are too far from Philly, GOG is on Long Island, so still close if you wanted to go look at either place in person.

The only reason I suggested the tax savings from the DE jeweler may keep him competitive is that some people prefer to work with a local jeweler. Myself, personally, see no problem working with an online vendor and think the savings will be better than any "friend of a friend" discount you can get.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The friend's jeweler thing almost never works out. It is just awkward because if they can even access the level of stone we usually see around here, they likely will charge more. But in my experience, even very nice local jewelers did not carry anything close to a H&A diamond. You'll do better from one of these vendors. I'd contact Good Old Gold since they carry Tacori and tell them your budget and preferred diamond specs and they can probably call in some stones for you when you are ready. It is easier when you can buy the stone and ring from the same place. And Tacori should be sent the stone to set, regardless.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results