shape
carat
color
clarity

No kids at Intergem

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
So I received an email from Intergem letting me know that no children under the age of 8 will be allowed to attend. The last time I was there, the whole group of us were all amazed at how many people brought their young (6 or so and under) children to this and we couldn't imagine why on earth they would want to bring their kids to a gem show. I have to imagine that walking around all day and looking but not being able to touch things must be utterly boring for little kids.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet said:
So I received an email from Intergem letting me know that no children under the age of 8 will be allowed to attend. The last time I was there, the whole group of us were all amazed at how many people brought their young (6 or so and under) children to this and we couldn't imagine why on earth they would want to bring their kids to a gem show. I have to imagine that walking around all day and looking but not being able to touch things must be utterly boring for little kids.

My 7 year old had fun, and we were able to buy her some cute trinkets and mineral samples.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I love watching kids as they learn about, and see gemstones. The local gem and mineral show here has lots of activities for kids, and I think it is a wonderful way for them to learn about the earth.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
soberguy said:
I love watching kids as they learn about, and see gemstones. The local gem and mineral show here has lots of activities for kids, and I think it is a wonderful way for them to learn about the earth.

I think a gem show where they could touch and interact with the exhibits would be fun but at Intergem (at least the one in Marlborough MA) it's purely to sell things and there are zero activities for kids.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW Kismet, when is that one? I hope its not next weekend (thats one of my away weeks)

-A

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian said:
BTW Kismet, when is that one? I hope its not next weekend (thats one of my away weeks)

-A

The next one in marlborough is Nov 12-14th.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet said:
Arcadian said:

-A

The next one in marlborough is Nov 12-14th.

Kewl! I'll be around for that one! (lets hope nobody changes my schedule, I missed the last one up here)

-A

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Well... looks like I'm getting a sitter then :(sad Sad. My daughter loves looking at the gems and minerals.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was such a pain to have to navigate the show while dodging toddlers and infants in humongous strollers!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Every time I go, I usually see at least one distraught mom being turned away for a stroller! I've taken my kids before, but they usually didn't last longer than an hour. I wish they'd make a rule against congregating in large groups (blocks the aisles).

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
cellentani said:
Every time I go, I usually see at least one distraught mom being turned away for a stroller! I've taken my kids before, but they usually didn't last longer than an hour. I wish they'd make a rule against congregating in large groups (blocks the aisles).[/quote]

I second that cellentani! I hate to say it but it seems that the groups that did this had strollers and with the new rule in place I had no issues getting around, no blocked isles! :appl:

My daughter went with me this last time, her age rounds up to 9 so we did a mini-fib so she could get in, it was her first show anyway. :bigsmile: She had fun but her attention span was much shorter than mine. She went for the beads, I went for the gems.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son likes looking at bright colors. I can hold his attention for a very long time if I point out bright colors. He doesn't even need to touch them.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I remember taking my daughter at around age three. Long, long day.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The one in southfield doesn't seem to mind. I took both my girls (7 and 1) at the time and they loved it. My youngest is a gem fanatic. She's my gemologist in training haha. Hopefully they don't do that this year. Intergem is here in November.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
RockHugger said:
The one in southfield doesn't seem to mind. I took both my girls (7 and 1) at the time and they loved it. My youngest is a gem fanatic. She's my gemologist in training haha. Hopefully they don't do that this year. Intergem is here in November.

They sent me the email before the Hartford CT show (first week in Oct) and it was on that email. It's also mentioned on their website so I'm assuming it's for all shows.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm an ex-teacher, so for me there is no fresh hell like the first day of the Tucson show when Tucson Unified School District buses in all the elementary school kids. The reason it is a fresh hell is there aren't enough adults from the schools with them so its a free-for-all for the kids. The teachers are probably at the bar at the Hotel Arizona! There were several vendors from Germany clustered together in one spot and the looks on those German faces at the behavior and appearance of American schoolchildren: Priceless. Most of them closed down quickly (smart). Then, in one big paroxysm of chaos, a gemstone was stolen by a kid and the entire building was closed down while the police worked.

On the other hand, how are we going to 'get' the next generation of geologists and gemologists and rock hounds and jewelry mavens.

There needs to be a mini-show for the elementary school set with lots of hands-on, please-touch, break-a-geode-open-exhibits.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockHugger said:

Very cute, my daughter is the same way. I think she's dying for the day I hand down my stuff to her!! LOL!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I could never bring my 4 year old. She'd be all over the place!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I take Daisy (16 months) to shows - the trade-only ones are pretty good about kids. I don't really have an option as I don't have family or childminders nearby to leave her with.

She's in the stroller - mine is very high-up and narrow - so she can see everything but not get in the way. She was good as gold last time and got given a number of freebies - plus talked me into buying her some very pretty beads!

I used to wonder why people took children to things in the past and be a bit irritated - now I know that often there's not much option and I'm a lot more tolerant. I do make sure that my daughter is not a nusiance and I take her out if there are tantrums.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results