shape
carat
color
clarity

14mm purple stone

iluvspring

Rough_Rock
I have this old ring from the Victorian era (1800's) that has a 14mm light purple stone. It’s very beautiful but I don’t really know what type of stone it is. I was thinking that it could be amethyst. However, I have a huge amethyst ring and it does appear to be the same as my real amethyst. In addition, it needs some restoration. It’s 14k (rose and white gold) and the bezel is damaged. I want to restore the mounting since it’s of a very unique style from that period with the leaves, etc. You can see the damage in the second image on the right side. What say you about the stone and it’s worth to repair the damage? I’m ready to give it away if the stone is glass or anything with no value. Thanks for any reply!

amethyst05.jpg

amethyst04.jpg

amethyst08.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not the classic amethyst but maybe a rose de france ammy?

iluvspring

Rough_Rock
Niel|1459450874|4013816 said:
It's not the classic amethyst but maybe a rose de france ammy?

Thank you for the information! This morning, e person examined the stone. He claimed that it's not rose the France ammy and it's harder than amethyst. At this point, I will prefer to leave it alone. Thank you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvspring|1459727242|4015068 said:
Thank you for the information! This morning, e person examined the stone. He claimed that it's not rose the France ammy and it's harder than amethyst. At this point, I will prefer to leave it alone. Thank you.

Did the examiner say what it might be? How was he able to determine the hardness? Hardness is difficult to test for unless one scratches the stone! There are other quicker and simpler ways to narrow down the possibilities.

iluvspring

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1459772716|4015181 said:
iluvspring|1459727242|4015068 said:
Thank you for the information! This morning, a person examined the stone. He claimed that it's not rose the France ammy and it's harder than amethyst. At this point, I will prefer to leave it alone. Thank you.

Did the examiner say what it might be? How was he able to determine the hardness? Hardness is difficult to test for unless one scratches the stone! There are other quicker and simpler ways to narrow down the possibilities.

He said; he could tell by the way of the facets, how sharp they are, when he simply looked at it and finally touched it. He did not identify the stone but claimed that the whole ring is very old. The stone is beautiful and attractive. Perhaps a purple CZ. Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results