shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie with Possibly Strange Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

So, I have a strange question to ask. I have a few 24K bracelets that I received as gifts as a young child (I''m of Taiwanese descent and the culture prefers 24K to alloys). Is it possible to have these bracelets melted to be made into a 18K white gold setting? Is that even possible or worth it?

Thanks in advance for everyone''s help.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2010 11:35:06 AM
Author:heyjudes
Hi everyone!

So, I have a strange question to ask. I have a few 24K bracelets that I received as gifts as a young child (I''m of Taiwanese descent and the culture prefers 24K to alloys). Is it possible to have these bracelets melted to be made into a 18K white gold setting? Is that even possible or worth it?

Thanks in advance for everyone''s help.
1.gif
Hi Judes and welcome!

I am not an expert but I don''t see why it couldn''t be done, stonecold is good with metals so he might have some good info for you or one of the experts might be able to advise. Its a lovely idea!

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lorelei and hi!
35.gif

My BF and I are a few weeks into the world of PS and we have learned so much. Just trying to figure out mainly settings now (I want a sapphire, although my BF prefers a diamond) and this idea came to mind.

I hope the more knowledgeable folks out there will be kind enough to help.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt it would save you much money, to be honest, so unless it is for sentimental reasons I would probably just start from scratch!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
24k is the definition of pure metal. But not sure if a jeweler will want to work with a finished 24k jewelry as they usually prefer to work with their stock of refined metal to reduce chance of contaminants that can reduce the strength of the final product.

Most old/return settings are sold as scrap to be melted and refined, rarely are they being melted and recast into new jewelry as I understand it.

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Stonecold - I guess I was just thinking of a good way to reuse the 24K gold jewelry I have on hand and have no use for. I have about 1.5oz of gold in the bracelets. Any suggestions on what I can do with it? Would a vendor take it, perhaps, to put towards work on a setting or is that not acceptable?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
You will have to ask the jeweler you choose to work with and see what kind of deal he can make with you.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I think that most jewelry stores who buy gold will by it at their buy in weight and credit you the price on amounts owed. I had a bracelet resized, cleaned, etc. a few week ago. About 3/4 of an inch of gold link was removed in the resize. The weighed it up, offered me $xx.xx for it and I accepted. They took that right off the bill. Great for me. What was I going to do with it. And gold is still pretty high at the moment, so now might be as good as any time to do it.

But the others are right, you are not getting troy ounce prices as they have to refine the gold before they can use it.

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much stonecold and caolsen!

I guess it might just be better to present it to jewelers and see if they would accept it as credit towards a future order. Do the top ring makers accept this or is it just your regulars? I had a few ideas for settings in mind and wonder if the custom ringmakers would consider this or if they would find it insulting.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
should be possible with any jeweler, just a matter of how much they are willing to pay you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2010 3:40:55 PM
Author: heyjudes
Thanks so much stonecold and caolsen!

I guess it might just be better to present it to jewelers and see if they would accept it as credit towards a future order. Do the top ring makers accept this or is it just your regulars? I had a few ideas for settings in mind and wonder if the custom ringmakers would consider this or if they would find it insulting.
didn''t see this thread til i started this one...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/information-for-those-whom-are-selling-their-scrap-gold.138100/

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dancing Fire. Are you a jeweler (sorry, I wasn't sure based on your post) or someone in the biz?

Are you saying that something like 75% of the spot rate would be a fair minimum to expect in exchange/for sale of my bracelets?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2010 9:11:32 PM
Thanks Dancing Fire. Are you a jeweler (sorry, I wasn''t sure based on your post) or someone in the biz?

Are you saying that something like 75% of the spot rate would be a fair minimum to expect in exchange/for sale of my bracelets?
No he is a consumer like the rest of us. Anyone in the Biz must state it in their tag line.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2010 9:11:32 PM
Thanks Dancing Fire. Are you a jeweler (sorry, I wasn''t sure based on your post) or someone in the biz?

i used to help a friend out in his coin shop and that was how we buy scrap gold.

yes,if your bracelets were 24kt pure gold.

jan can

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about having the gold made into a pendant? A friend took her gold and had it made into a custom pendant - absolutely gorgeous.

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 12:09:37 AM
Author: jan can
Have you thought about having the gold made into a pendant? A friend took her gold and had it made into a custom pendant - absolutely gorgeous.

To be honest jan can, I''ve got e-ring stuff on the brain and besides a few pairs of earrings and 2 other rings, I don''t really wear jewelry. I did a cleaning out of some stuff before the last Chinese New Year and found all this jewelry that is just going to waste. So, just trying to get rid of it all
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results