shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather v Needle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
OK, all things being equal in a SI1 AGS grades stone,

would you lean toward a feather or a needle, both not touching the surface, both "eyeclean". So I guess which is a better inclusion to have? and why?

I am looking at 2 near identical stones and these are the 2 differences, noting much to sway me either way, apart from the inclusions.

many thanks again
Db

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2009 6:29:56 AM
Author:D2B

would you lean toward a feather or a needle, both not touching the surface, both ''eyeclean''. So I guess which is a better inclusion to have? and why?

I am looking at 2 near identical stones and these are the 2 differences, noting much to sway me either way, apart from the inclusions.

many thanks again
Db
It would depend for me on the placement of the feather and pricing!

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei, pricing is close enough to be the same iykwim

the placement of the feather is approx 9 o''clock - near the edge of the girdle. Cant tell more from the pics. Doesnt touch the edge, but runs close along it to to bottom with a bit of space before it gets to the edge - hope that helps

thanks
db

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Since a feather is actually a minor fracture within the crystal structure of the diamond and a needle is simply a long, thin diamond crystal (usually diamond) which was absorbed by a larger diamond crystal as it formed, I would be more apt to lean towards the diamond with the needle assuming that all other factors are equal. It should be noted that I''m generally not concerned with minor feathers, however the question is "either / or" in nature and thus my inclination is towards the diamond with the needle based on the information provided thus far...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2009 7:13:32 AM
Author: D2B
Lorelei, pricing is close enough to be the same iykwim

the placement of the feather is approx 9 o''clock - near the edge of the girdle. Cant tell more from the pics. Doesnt touch the edge, but runs close along it to to bottom with a bit of space before it gets to the edge - hope that helps

thanks
db
Ok, I would tend to go for the needle in this case unless you had an expert inspect the stone and verify the feather isn''t an issue, it is unlikely to be but just to be on the safe side.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2009 6:29:56 AM
Author:D2B

All other things being equal I'd take the needle.

Feather is a pretty word that the industry uses for crack.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Thritto (or was it quattro) I am for the needle if all things being equal!

Btw, what is ''iykwim''?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Btw, what is ''iykwim''?
I suspect either "If You Know What I Mean," "I''m Yelling Kuz Writing Is Messy," or "In Yonkers Kewl Weapons Is Made" (last one for Strm/Karl.)

ct-appr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Needle it is.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all, I was leaning towards the needle for the reasons described, but it is nice just to double check.
thanks
DB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results