shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Heart Pendant Questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rocket

Rough_Rock
Hi, just happen to run into this forum and I''ve learned so much already in a few days!

Anyway, I am thinking of getting this diamond pendant for my girlfriend but I''m not sure if this web site is legit:

Link

Diamond Information:
Type 20 Round Diamonds
Weight 1.40 ctw
Color F
Clarity VVS
Cut Excellent

Looking at the specs, this deal sounds great but I''m not sure if this site can be trusted. The only drawback is that it''s only 14 Karat white gold, it would be perfect if it''s 18 Karat or up.

I''d really appreciate your help...any input will help me a great deal.

Thanks in advance.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The deal sounds good, as to the site being trustworthy....find out their return policy and make sure to pay with a credit card in case you can dispute it later if things don't work out.

One other option is to have something like this custom made. That style is not uncommon, Tiffany has one like that as well. WhiteFlash has small superideal cut Hearts and Arrows melee stones that are all F VS or better, and they have a .08c size. So you can get around 20 of those and do a build your own! The price for 20 of the melee's is around $2300 but they will probably discount you slightly off that because you are buying volume. The setting itself in white gold should be maybe around $300-500 so you are probably going to end up paying around the same amount anyway but you will have a custom made piece with superideal cut stones. Super sparkly.
2.gif
I love making things custom so this is the way I would do it, but if you don't have the time or the inclination, the site/url you found above would most likely work nicely.

Also have you seen Tiffany's necklace? They have something similar, I think it's 1ctw for around $3k if I recall correctly. My mom has this necklace and she loves it, but I would still make mine custom and get the bigger, better stones and a feeling of 'I made it for you'.

Good luck!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I'd go with the custom made as Mara suggested mainly because chances are the diamonds are not F VVS. I'm sure they're still good color and clarity, but unless they're certified, they're probably lower color/clarity than promised because this is a common practice with many jewelers. I was told my uncertified earrings were F VS and it turns out they weren't, BUT, they were well cut, so as most of us here on PS believe, this "C" is more important. . .so I'd find H&A melee rather than just looking for a necklace with good color/clarity.

Michelle

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is very little one may still desire from this piece: these are top grade diamonds already, the mounting is quite elegant and the price acceptable. Actually, given the rather delicate frame of the pendant, I would not want 18k (it is easier bent, and the stones would pop out if this happens). After all, the metal itself is not the point in this piece. Maybe you could even change the chain for an 18k WG, if you so whish.

The only detail which may make this even better looking would be the use of better cut stones (since color and calrity are already best). However, this option should not compromise the look of the finished piece: I believe that the nice execution and the model with small and few (shared) prongs have their merits. If, say, Whiteflash could supply the stones and have a custom piece of simmilar design made, the result will most likely be better. If you have a jeweler you trust and he can replicate the piece with better stones - fine. Otherwise, I wander wether such high quality accent stoes are not rather well cut to begin with (ok, they will not be ideal cuts, but not glass drops either) and just having the thing ready-made is not a serious benefit after all.

I would call/email Whiteflash for this, and if it does not work, I'd buy the pendsnt and move on. Of course, I am not you
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/2/2004 3:44:35 PM MichelleCarmen wrote:

Hi,

I'd go with the custom made as Mara suggested mainly because chances are the diamonds are not F VVS.
----------------

Actually, yes, this may well be the case. For one thing, these small stones are never certified, but rather come in batches for which a color and clarity range is specified (such as G-E and "VS or better"). This is how the ones in the pendant probably came... That the F-VS label can be placed on whatever, and who knows? Since there is a return policy, you can surely see for yourself if the item looks pleasing: it should be a substantial difference compared to the average jewelry-store fare, due to color & clarity alone. If not, then you have a reason to return the thing, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results