shape
carat
color
clarity

question on backs for earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rocky44

Rough_Rock
for diamond studd earrings which back is better the screw back, the flat disc with locking mechanism etc ? Do they all secure the diamond the same?
I guess it is all on preference.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'd have to vote for the La Poussette backs (the discs). I've lost TWO screwback earrings!!! but no probs so far with the discs.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have the same kind of backs as AL and amazingly, one fell apart the last time I cleaned them!
cry.gif
Had to get new backs. Other than that little glitch, they have worked great. Once they hit the notch/groove in the stud, they are locked on and won't come off!
1.gif

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
I have screw backs and they take FOREVER to put on and take off. But you know I love them anyway.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
I always advise customers to only get screw backs if they are going to be leaving the earrings in all the time. The screw backs can irritate the hole and I recommend coating the post with neosporin so that it glides through easily.

My personal preference are the simple push on heavy backs. They are easy to put on and off and if they fit tightly, they will not come off.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you will wear them alot, don't get the screw backs, as Lesley noted..they may irritate your ears by scraping the serrated edges of the post through your ear day after day. If you will wear them all the time, and not take them off, that may not matter. But if you wear them very infrequently, then I would definitely recommend screw backs. I check them at various points during the day to be sure they stay tight. I don't wear my diamond earrings that often though, maybe once every 2 weeks. More in the winter.
1.gif

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I have worn screw posts forever on my diamond earrings and feel very secure with them. Yes, they can be a pain to take on and off but it is worth the extra effort. I have had them in various settings over the last 20 years but have never had one fall off. I can be pretty active and I like the security. Also, I can tighten them up to how I like them. The problem for some people is that they may have very sensitive holes and have to get used to the threaded posts, which will happen if they give it a chance. But if they are worn sporadically it may never happen. White gold will give some irritation problems, so platinum or 18kt yellow gold posts are best. There are different quality ear nuts too. If you like just the friction, ask for the heavy weight. The earnuts oftentimes supplied are not of this weight. The Pousettes are another nice alternative if you have trouble with the screw posts. Cindy

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well actually darling's, I do not wear ear rings.

But I never recommend screws.
Large traditional well manufactured buttleflys win hands down.

As well as the other comments - We had a broken screw to replace today - the screw removes about 1/2 the thickness of the post.
But mostly the number of screw earrings I find that have worn or loosened and just spin so freely - imagine - they spin back and forward every time you brush your hair etc.

Gold and platinum are lousy metals for screw threads!

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/19/2003 7:23:30 AM Cut Nut wrote:

Well actually darling's, I do not wear ear rings.

That was always an issue with my goldsmiths. I would tell them to please pierce those ears so they could understand the problem of post placement and wearability.
But I never recommend screws.
Large traditional well manufactured buttleflys win hands down.

As well as the other comments - We had a broken screw to replace today - the screw removes about 1/2 the thickness of the post.
But mostly the number of screw earrings I find that have worn or loosened and just spin so freely - imagine - they spin back and forward every time you brush your hair etc.

Screw posts are available in heavier weights. Less expensive manufacturers of course don't use these. You can get different lengths also. The better made findings will last forever where the 'cheap' ones give problems
Gold and platinum are lousy metals for screw threads!----------------

My platinum posts are super and still have the original backs after eight years. We are heavy into boating and I never worry about them. I wear them swimming, sailing, water skiing. they have been through the rapids on the Colorado River etc etc etc...mucking at the barn or mowing the grass.
appl.gif
Cindy

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine are screw back and they ARE a pain to get on/off, but I only take my earrings of for cleaning so it's not that big of a deal that it takes a minute or two to put them on. But, I do notice that one of the earring back starts to unscrew so I check on it regularily. . .still also not that big of a deal. If I loose my earring, I will just make my husband get me a BIGGER pair. lol

Michelle

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I had screw backs, and they drove me nuts. I can't sleep in earrings -- especially those, since the posts were so long. Putting them on and taking them off drove my type A personality absolutly crazy. I eventually got rid of them for the flat disc and was MUCH happier.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Cindy:

I didn't realize you were such a "wild one!!" You absolutely have to have screw backs - no discussion
2.gif

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results