shape
carat
color
clarity

1% AGS thin girdle too thin

Marge_C

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I am in need of some help coming to a conclusion about girdle thickness on a particular diamond. It is AGS certified as having a thin to medium girdle, 1%-3.4%. :read: As I understand it, 1% is the cut-off point from very thin to thin with AGS. This diamond scored a '0' on the proportion grade, but I am worried that some areas may actually be very thin, and present a durability risk due to Sarin variability. The depth is 3.69mm (6mm diameter), so a 1% girdle would represent 0.0369mm. Is a 1% girdle too thin? I have asked a vendor's representative about this, and the reply was basically that it should be fine. I wanted to put it out here on PS though to get an unbiased opinion. Sorry if this has been done to death, but I was unable to find what I needed on previous posts. Thanks for any replies.
Marge

Marge_C

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I hope to have pics. to share in the near future! :love:

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No worries. If you're interested in seeing how the range sits in the "green," the link Stone-Cold posted has a graphic showing where 1.0-3.4% would run as it relates to boundaries.

Marge_C

Rough_Rock
Thanks John and StoneCold. The chart is very helpful. I am so impressed with PS members and their knowledge. Precious gems make for a wonderful hobby/profession.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results