shape
carat
color
clarity

1.87 cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushion13

Rough_Rock
Hi,

i''ve found this forum really good for info on cushions - just wondered if i could get an opinion on this one?

1.87ct
G SI1 (eyeclean)
polish/symmetry vg/vg
fluorescence nil
8.16 x 7.25 x 4.00mm
girdle medium 3.5% faceted
culet pointed
total depth 55.2%
table width 65%
crown height 12%
pavilion depth 40%

i''m looking for something like this, will probably put small trillions with it...

thank you!!

cushion13

Rough_Rock
forgot to add - it''s HRD

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 4:40:14 PM
Author:cushion13
Hi,

i've found this forum really good for info on cushions - just wondered if i could get an opinion on this one?

1.87ct
G SI1 (eyeclean)
polish/symmetry vg/vg
fluorescence nil
8.16 x 7.25 x 4.00mm
girdle medium 3.5% faceted
culet pointed
total depth 55.2%
table width 65%
crown height 12%
pavilion depth 40%

i'm looking for something like this, will probably put small trillions with it...

thank you!!
Hi and welcome!

Can you just check if the depth and table are reversed please? If not then the cushion is very shallow depthed and it might be better to look for one which is less shallow. Have you seen the diamond in person? If not do you have any photos and other images such as ASET of this diamond? HRD are a reputable lab, better known in Europe than the USA.

cushion13

Rough_Rock
hi - thanks for reply

no that is the depth - guess that''s why the mm are bigger?
is that a really big deal? it''s otherwise the perfect diamond for me - i''m seeing next week....

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 5:12:41 PM
Author: cushion13
hi - thanks for reply

is that a really big deal? it''s otherwise the perfect diamond for me - i''m seeing next week....
You''re going to see it in person next week? How do you know it is perfect already then? Photos would be extremely helpful. The depth would be pretty unusual in a nicely cut stone; most cushions are cut with greater depth.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 6:03:11 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 3/3/2009 5:12:41 PM
hi - thanks for reply

You''re going to see it in person next week? How do you know it is perfect already then? Photos would be extremely helpful. The depth would be pretty unusual in a nicely cut stone; most cushions are cut with greater depth.
Ditto IK. All you can do is see what you think when you see it and compare it with others if possible.

cushion13

Rough_Rock
thanks for advice - i guess what i meant by perfect that it''s the right size, looks bigger than 1.87 within the budget, and is a G si1, which is what i wanted. i have photos - i''ll attach
26.gif
28.gif

cushion13

Rough_Rock
unfortunately cannot attach pictures - my friend (an expert) viewed the diamond and said it''s great, not to worry about the depth, that it makes it look bigger....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 1:43:11 PM
unfortunately cannot attach pictures - my friend (an expert) viewed the diamond and said it''s great, not to worry about the depth, that it makes it look bigger....

Thats fine if the result of the diamond looking large for the weight isn''t a trade off with cut quality and beauty, hopefully this isn''t the case if your expert friend gives it the thumbs up.

To attach pics name the file something unique and don''t use any unusual characters in the file name. If this doesn''t work then email the images to admin and they will post them for you.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please please look at other stones before making a decision. My worry for this one is that it will have a really glassy and unattractive table to it, taking away from the brilliance of the stone...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 2:15:49 PM
Author: neatfreak
Please please look at other stones before making a decision. My worry for this one is that it will have a really glassy and unattractive table to it, taking away from the brilliance of the stone...
This is really sound advice.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto Neatfreak--Please don''t "fall in love" with the stone before you see it, you want to look at it objectively. This cushion is really shallow and it''s really spready, so I''m curious to see what it looks like.

Make sure you look at this stone next to other cushions, too.

Good luck!

cushion13

Rough_Rock
thanks guys - have emailed the photos to admin so they should be posted up soon.

know i shouldn''t ''fall in love'' with stone, just hopeful!

have looked at a lot of cushions - very interested to see what you think of pics!!!!

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Here is the first image

cushion13_cush1_m.jpg

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Here is the second.

cushion13_cush2_m.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The photos tell very little.
I have a different viewpoint on a few things you''ve asked about
1) there''s nothing intrinsically wrong with a cushion of 55.2% depth.
In fact we''ve had some cushions that were more shallow that were knockouts!

2) in terms of gem labs, myself, and all the other dealers we work with do not consider HRD to be on the same level as GIA- think EGL and you''ll more accurately describing how the trade views HRD.
I''ve personally seen a 2 carat stone graded H by HRD that was as dark as a J graded by GIA.

This might not matter if the price is right ( it should be considerably less than a stone graded G/SI1 by GIA), and you love the stone- and if you''re comfortable with the dealer.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
also the pictures show a crushed ice look.

is that the look you were hoping for?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 6:44:41 PM
Author: Eva17
also the pictures show a crushed ice look.

is that the look you were hoping for?
ditto that- it''s not personally my favorite look for a cushion. Is this the style that you like?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: the crushed ice vs. chunky facets look . . .

I started my search for a cushion *thinking* that I was dead-set on a cushion with chunky facets and a flat culet because of all the photos I had seen on PS and everything everyone always said about the issue. HOWEVER, when I actually saw cushions in person, I realized very quickly that I was a "crushed ice" girl. Just something to keep in mind. You MUST see cushions in person to really appreciate them. They obviously look extremely different in real life than they do in photos here on PS.

(And I know how difficult it is to not fall in love with a stone! Be strong, you''ll find the right stone, even if this one doesn''t happen to be the one.)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a super close shot of my ring on this computer, but here''s the closest thing I have. (My diamond is a G, I just took this picture in an orange room and warm light.)

Here''s my "crushed ice" cushion:

HavensCrushedIceCushionPSSSSS.jpg

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 8:35:17 PM
Author: Haven
Re: the crushed ice vs. chunky facets look . . .

I started my search for a cushion *thinking* that I was dead-set on a cushion with chunky facets and a flat culet because of all the photos I had seen on PS and everything everyone always said about the issue. HOWEVER, when I actually saw cushions in person, I realized very quickly that I was a ''crushed ice'' girl. Just something to keep in mind. You MUST see cushions in person to really appreciate them. They obviously look extremely different in real life than they do in photos here on PS.

(And I know how difficult it is to not fall in love with a stone! Be strong, you''ll find the right stone, even if this one doesn''t happen to be the one.)
So funny Haven. I did the exact opposite. I remember showing then BF videos on GOG and asking him which he liked best and he would always pick the chunky. I was so dissapointed bc I thought I liked the crushed ice better, prob bc I originally loved Radiants. Then I saw chunky cushions in person and that was it.

It''s all about what appeals to you. And Haven makes a great point. You must see them! I think people come to PS and see all the Chunky cushions that BostonJeff got us hooked on and just assume it the best, but it''s so personal!

cushion13

Rough_Rock
thanks for all the replies - i have to say that i like the crushed ice look - excuse my ignorance but is that a bit more like a round brilliant????

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 2:09:13 AM
thanks for all the replies - i have to say that i like the crushed ice look - excuse my ignorance but is that a bit more like a round brilliant????
The crushed ice look refers to a less organized look to the faceting effect of the diamond face up, it looks literally like crushed ice. Chunkier faceted cushions, the facets appear more distinct and there can be a difference in the performance of the two types from what I understand.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 4:52:13 AM
Author: Lorelei

The crushed ice look refers to a less organized look to the faceting effect of the diamond face up, it looks literally like crushed ice. Chunkier faceted cushions, the facets appear more distinct and there can be a difference in the performance of the two types from what I understand.

And to answer your question I think they are less like a well cut RB because a well cut RB has a nice pattern to it whereas a crushed ice cushion has no pattern.

My advice is to still see many stones in person before jumping the gun on this one.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't say a crushed ice cushion (modified Cushion Brilliant) looks like a RB at all. You really need to go look at some! Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 8:48:16 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 3/5/2009 4:52:13 AM
Author: Lorelei

And to answer your question I think they are less like a well cut RB because a well cut RB has a nice pattern to it whereas a crushed ice cushion has no pattern.

My advice is to still see many stones in person before jumping the gun on this one.
I must have missed that bit, no the crushed ice look does not resemble the patterning you see in a round brilliant ( well cut rounds).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results