shape
carat
color
clarity

1.63 Round Brilliant, G, VS2 for 18.5k - good price?

mnachmia31

Rough_Rock
Here are all the specs (also attached to this post is the GIA report):

Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.56 - 7.63 x 4.64 mm

Carat Weight: 1.63 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent

Polish: Excellent
Finish: Excellent
Flour: None

Table: 58
Dept: 61.1
Crown Angle: 33.5
Pavilion Angle: 41

The price I am getting for this diamond is $18,500 which includes tax. The HCA scores extremely well with a 1.2 and looked amazing in person. I am having second doubts because my brother thinks I can get this diamond for cheaper and said this diamond is a better deal:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1371919.asp

I disagree and think my diamond is better and is a good deal. Please help me decide I only have a limited amount of time to jump on this offer.

Thanks,
Mike

cert1.png

slg47

Ideal_Rock
price seems in line with online (from search under resources-->diamond search). if you have seen it in person and like it then I see no reason not to get it.

the JA stone looks weird in the picture...you could save money by going from G to I but you have to decide what your personal preference is as far as color/clarity

mnachmia31

Rough_Rock
Another question worth asking:

There is another diamond that is 1.66 ct, G, VS1 with triple ex on its GIA that I could get for $21,000. Does that VS2 to VS1 really demand that price jump?

Thanks again!

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
mnachmia31|1318445145|3038713 said:
Another question worth asking:

There is another diamond that is 1.66 ct, G, VS1 with triple ex on its GIA that I could get for $21,000. Does that VS2 to VS1 really demand that price jump?

Thanks again!

I personally would not pay extra for something that can't be seen with the naked eye. VS2 is generally eye clean to the naked eye and going higher in clarity is more of a mind clean issue. I personally find the most value in eye clean SI2 and SI1 stones. The stone you have selected looks good from the numbers. The next step would be to request an IS image or view the stone in person, which you have done already. Deciding which stone to select is up to your personal preferences and what your eyes tell you. Never sacrifice on cut, but you can change clarity, color, and size to find an amazing stone to meet your budget/needs.

As an example, if you wanted to maximize size this might work:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1418508.asp

G VS2 is a sweet spot for many PSers. What are your minimum specs? If G VS2, I think you have found a stone with lots of potential.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People here will tell you that you need idealscope images to be sure there is no leakage in the diamond. But if you can't get that, I would say the price is good for an excellent cut stone that may not be in the super ideal cut category. I think G VS2 is a great combo and would personally not go down to I color. VS1 is more of a mind-clean issue, and some of us prefer it for that reason. And yes, it accounts for the price increase.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I do need to add one thing. Does the diamond vendor have a return policy? Why do you have to jump on it?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you have seen it in-person and your eyes think it's amazing, how in the world can someone else tell you with any surety that a stone they've never set their eyes on will be prettier to your eyes?

As long as you've evaluated it in several types of lights, compared it to other stones of similar size with different proportions in various types of lights, and you liked yours best throughout... that's about as educated a decision as you can make.

ideal5555

Rough_Rock
The JA your brother picked up seems not to be a true H&A . JA has ideal cuts that are not H&A so that maybe why the photos
don't look all that sparkly...

I think the one you pick is a fair price for that quality. G and I are different; as G is in the top grouping of colorless and H/I are next grouping (if I may say so)

good luck though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results