shape
carat
color
clarity

0.7ctw 18k YG and Platinum Five-Stone Band, size 4.75-5

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
This is my first time on this end of Preloved! Hopefully I'm doing everything correctly.

Loupetroop link: https://loupetroop.com/listings/ban...-cut-18k-yg-and-platinum-band-size-4-dot-75-5

I'm visiting my mother who has decided to sell her old wedding band. This was custom-made in 1989 by Robert Limon in Bethesda, Maryland who was hired by the Smithsonian to work on the Hope Diamond and was an early proponent of ideal cuts who helped develop cut guidelines for AGS. The stones are ungraded but Cliff, Robert's grandson, found the original sales receipt in his records (shocking since it's been 35 years!). It states that the ring has five 0.14ct stones for a total of 0.7 ctw in 18 karat yellow gold with platinum just surrounding the stones. I have a photo of the receipt that I can send to people who are interested! Cliff said the ring was in "great shape" today when my mom brought it in to ask about a reset but we decided to first see if anyone wanted to buy it as a complete piece.

It's a solid ring and weighs 7 grams on a postal scale that unfortunately doesn't get more precise. The stones are very sparkly and appear whiter than my GIA-graded G and H transitional diamonds when I compared them on my last visit, but unfortunately I didn't bring them to compare on this trip. The original sales receipt says it's a size 5 but it fit more like a 4.75 on Cliff's mandrel due to the width, which is 7.1mm at the top and 2.6mm at the shank as measured by electronic calipers. The photo below is on my size 4.5-ish pinky.

We're asking $1300 shipped in the US. Please let me know if you have any questions and thanks for looking!

Robert Limon's history really interesting, so here's the link!

And here are a few quotes:

"In 1975, at the request of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC, Robert Limon removed the famous Hope Diamond from its diamond necklace setting, made and installed concealed locking hinges in two of its four prongs, and reset it to facilitate the future risk-free removal of the gem for weighing and scientific study.

Robert Limon was the principal author of the AGS Diamond Grading Standards published in 1966 and adopted by the American Gem Society in 1975.

Robert Limon was the author of the AGS Standards for Appraisal and Gemological Services adopted by the Society in September 1979."

"During this period, he also devised a unique method of grading the "make" (quality of cutting) of diamonds, and invented three instruments required to ascertain those grades. He was elected to the board of directors of the American Gem Society from 1959 to 1966, and 1975 to 1981, serving on the Diamond Grading Committee, The Appraisals Committee, and the Organization and Procedures Committee."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results