shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond a good deal?

Nic29

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

Very new to this thread I have a chance to purchase a 3.5 carat radiant cut stone color K SI1, eye clean with a medium florescent which I think actually makes the color seem whiter for $18,000 but it is a EGL graded stone, is this a good deal? I'm not that knowledgable in diamonds it seems like a good deal but the EGL grade made me hesitant.

any and all information would be great!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EGL is not a reputable grader. Period.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can search for diamonds that are near your specifications using the search bar at the top of the forum.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need more info about the stone, but no it's likely not a good deal. Egl is not a reputable grader.

Nic29

Rough_Rock
thanks for input! good thing we didn't just purchase it on whim. What makes them so much more less reputable than GIA. My current stone is a cushion cut 2.5 color J SI1 eye clean GIA graded, but the stone in question looked double the size of my current stone

ETA: how much would you pay for a EGL graded stone with these specs?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks for input! good thing we didn't just purchase it on whim. What makes them so much more less reputable than GIA. My current stone is a cushion cut 2.5 color J SI1 eye clean GIA graded, but the stone in question looked double the size of my current stone

ETA: how much would you pay for a EGL graded stone with these specs?
They don't grade accurately, so you aren't getting what you pay for.

We can't say anything about price if you don't show pics/video/certificate.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would guess that an EGL K/si1 is a gia L-N I1. Maybe si2.

If you use the search tool here, you can find gia certified stones in your price range with those specs.

Nic29

Rough_Rock
most that come up have a GIA cert so idk if its comparable. For around $24,000 I can get a 3 carat diamond with the same specs with a GIA cert.

I do not have pictures as I seen the diamond in person, in person it looked like a good stone. I could not see an inclusions it was clear and I thought it was around a j-k color from the eye.

Thank you for your help

I would guess that an EGL K/si1 is a gia L-N I1. Maybe si2.

If you use the search tool here, you can find gia certified stones in your price range with those specs.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
most that come up have a GIA cert so idk if its comparable. For around $24,000 I can get a 3 carat diamond with the same specs with a GIA cert.

I do not have pictures as I seen the diamond in person, in person it looked like a good stone. I could not see an inclusions it was clear and I thought it was around a j-k color from the eye.

Thank you for your help
My point is that you should look at gia L-N Color and Si2/I1 clarity to be comparable to k/si1 from egl. There's a reason the vendor didn't get it graded by a reputable lab. Because then they'd have to sell it for less.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The biggest problem is that we have no way of knowing whether the diamond is accurately graded, slightly poorly graded or what was the grader smoking at the time he graded this stone graded.

We can not estimate how much to discount the diamond, because we have no idea what the real grade is. Surprising as it may seem, some of the EGL reports were accurately graded. For the most part though, they tend to be very poorly graded, to the point that Rapaport no longer accepts diamonds with EGL reports for trading on their network.

Without a starting point to go from, there is no way we can give you valid pricing, on what the diamond you are looking at might be worth. We could make irresponsible guesses, but it would be irresponsible.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results