shape
carat
color
clarity

Meghan Markle updates her wedding set

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
I am perplexed by the choice of adding micropave to the e-ring. I thought that micropave on shanks made the ring harder to size. For someone going through pregnancy weight gain and loss and perhaps another pregnancy in the future, the easily sizeable plain gold shank she had before would have been way more practical. But I suppose royals don't have to worry about practicality :think:. I do like the anniversary band she added though!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You cannot throw away the two stones given to you by your husband that belonged to his late mother...especially since she died tragically while young and beautiful. So she will always have the three stones.;))
I never suggested she get rid of the side stones. In my opinion a three stone + eternity does the same thing without looking gauche.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do prefer the prong placement of the new setting though. Would have been fab if it was just a more elegant setting with a new eternity band sandwiched between her existing wedding band and her new setting.

Not that it matters of course I just.... idk I just hate three stones with pave lol

@JewelersGranddaughter I gotcha. I’m sorry if my comment came across negatively; it’s often difficult to infer meaning behind words on the internet. ;)2

If you’re a royal jewels lover, I might suggest giving this thread a good perusal, as it captures a lot of royal bling over the years with commentary/additions by other PSers. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-jewels.73838/

Also, if you haven’t seen it already, here’s a great blog that monitors the Queen & her family’s bling wearing that is nice to peruse: http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much for your kind reply to my message. It is greatly appreciated. I adore royal jewels of all nationalities, in that they are almost always beautifully, and (mostly) tastefully done, and the stones are always top quality so they shine, sparkle, and glitter expansively! There are a very few pieces that make me wince once in a great while, and leave me with a "WHAT WERE they thinking??" sort of feeling, but fortunately those are few and far between!

Thank you also for the links you so kindly shared! It is also much appreciated. I will add them to my links lists, and check them out "forthwith!" as they say!

As for the inability to infer meaning to comments made on the Internet, that's been one of my biggest pet peeves with this sort of communication since it first began. There are SO many things missing here - volume and tone of voice, facial expressions (those little icon thingies notwithstanding), body language, even accents and idioms - that it's always made it quite frustrating to me to try and identify what's inferred sometimes by the writer.

And THEN there's grammatical style and punctuation - OR lack of same (!) that can make ooodles of difference in interpreting what's been said as well! That drives me bonkers when none of either is used, and you are left trying to figure out if, for instance - "John's going to be at our house for dinner" - means John has been invited over to someone else's home to JOIN them for dinner - or to BE dinner!! Especially confusing when you've been hearing about how Hanibal Lechter has been a prolonged houseguest! Oh, it's all just a bunch of silliness!!

Anyway, it's certainly made this form of communication a real challenge for everyone, especially those of us who grew up without it! It's actually rather amusing sometimes, to remember, for instance, that "hardware" used to involve special stores that sold nuts, bolts, nails,⛏ key making, garden hoses, hammers and screwdrivers!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not agree with this but do not want to derail this thread. Suffice it to say there is enough hate to go around everywhere. :cry2::cry2::cry2:

I live in rural east England. I was complaining to my diabetes nurse that I don’t like the only doctor at the practice. She asked me did I not know we had a new female doctor “but I just have to warn you, she’s black”. My face must have told her what I was thinking because she went on to explain that she was just “warning” everyone because she didn’t want anyone to get a “shock”. What the actual eff?! In this day and age I’m appalled that anyone would even say that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in rural east England. I was complaining to my diabetes nurse that I don’t like the only doctor at the practice. She asked me did I not know we had a new female doctor “but I just have to warn you, she’s black”. My face must have told her what I was thinking because she went on to explain that she was just “warning” everyone because she didn’t want anyone to get a “shock”. What the actual eff?! In this day and age I’m appalled that anyone would even say that.

I know right? Unbelievable. See my please restore my faith in humanity thread I started a few hours ago. Every single day I observe things ie on the news (and sometimes IRL) where I am absolutely appalled. :cry2:

Yeah another reason why I prefer animals to (many) people.

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 12.16.26 PM.png

I know precisely how you feel. Being a Yank, who was born in the (allegedly) more accepting North, but raised in the (allegedly) more closed-minded, prejudicial South, I have found that even THOSE stereotypes don't ring true, as I have found folks in the North can be as closed-minded and prejudicial as those down South are supposed to be; and vice versa. It goes back I think to the massive migrations of peoples during WWII, when the North became a jobs "Mecca" of sorts to poor Southerners, in the great defense industries of the industrial North. This brought MANY folks complete with their generations of prejudices up North, where instead of shedding them, they simply continued to pass them on to their succeeding generations. And so it goes.

Northern States on borders with those considered Southern, continue to find northward migrations of people, complete with their prejudices intact, spreading that kind of bigotry wherever they wind up. And, even though it's not nearly as prevalent going the other direction in the Southern states, with transplanted Northerners, it can still happen in small ways.

Personally, I grew up in a particular area that is packed full of transient military families, who come (and go) from all parts of the country constantly, since every one of the five branches of our military is heavily represented there! It seems to be a natural gathering place, partly by location near the seat of our government, and partly by natural construction, since the Chesapeake Bay is the world's largest naturally protected body of water, so the U.S. Navy on the Atlantic is headquartered there, also attracting a considerable population of the U.S. Marines, directly nearby. The U.S. Army has a large and a small post within shouting distance of each other, more or less, and the U.S. Air Force, a headquarters base with the longest existence, and last but not certainly not to least, has been there since the First World War. SO - that means MANY transient families, coming in, and going out all the time. This also consistently changes the juvenile population as well, and you know what "sponges" children can be when it comes to soaking up influences from their school and playmates.

I seemed to be naturally on the tolerant side, as all the prejudices of the South just never made any sense to me at all, and I was at a primary age for naturally adopting the attitudes of my schoolmates when the government enforced program of public school "bussing" to enforce a more evenly spread supply of adequate school facilities came about, sending many students miles and miles away from their home neighborhoods everyday. I could write a book on the why's and wherefore, but I won't.

Suffice it to say I grew up on scads of "influences" not my own, and decided that what made no sense to me I would not adopt. And what I personally felt comfortable with - tolerance, lack of judgemental attitudes based on the superficialities of someone's skin color, and so forth, I would carry on with, and teach to my children as well. I've found an awful lot of what would normally be considered Southern attitudes up here, though, which troubles me. I try hardest to not continue to perpetuate them, as they simply create more heartache for all concerned.

It's not unusual I suppose, to find complex attitudes in areas of large or even small amounts of migration, as attitudes are difficult to alter, no matter where they happen to be. As long as the human element is involved, you're going to find a variety of human attitudes, unfortunately. We can only try to make things as pleasant as possible for everyone, including ourselves.

I'm glad to know that you found a way to express your own feelings to that nurse, so that she would know that such a thing was totally unacceptable to you, and that the doctor's skin color was of no special concern to you in any way, shape or form, and that she needn't concern herself with with such things in your presence again!

I have been watching a medical drama/comedy series from England on an Internet driven site on my TV the last several months - I love British "telly" so to speak - called "The Royal" and since I found recently that several more seasons were added to the available programming, I've been sort of "binge watching" from time to time, to play catch up. The one I just watched most recently involved the appearance of a "locum" - a temporary, fill-in doctor - who is not only female, but black as well, and it's caused the examination and expression of the feelings about such things by several of the regular characters, and also the expression of such feelings by a couple of patients as well. I'm enjoying watching the whole series, but this one particularly got my attention, knowing how such things were viewed in Britain in the 1960's, the time period in which this show is set.

Last edited:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the first setting but her opinion is the one that matters...I'm glad she made the switch to something she likes better. Everyone should love their ering.:kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am perplexed by the choice of adding micropave to the e-ring. I thought that micropave on shanks made the ring harder to size. For someone going through pregnancy weight gain and loss and perhaps another pregnancy in the future, the easily sizeable plain gold shank she had before would have been way more practical. But I suppose royals don't have to worry about practicality :think:. I do like the anniversary band she added though!
i don't think its the royals not.thinking of practically so much as its just Megs doing her own thing
but you raise a good point about resizing and surely any repeatable jewler would have pointed this out to her

the Queen and Prince Philip come across as very practicle typical of their generation

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never suggested she get rid of the side stones. In my opinion a three stone + eternity does the same thing without looking gauche.

That was clear, Niel. my point is that Meghan wanted a thin pavé band for her e-ring. Any of us could have a thin pavé band for our e-rings. We can change our stones whenever we want. Meghan couldn't have a pavé band WITHOUT having it come with a three stone ring. That's all I'm sayin. Whatever style Meghan loves, she's got to do that style with a three stone ring. So let's hope the style doesn't look too hideous with three stones, cuz those three stones are stayin'!!! What if she wanted a halo?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was clear, Niel. my point is that Meghan wanted a thin pavé band for her e-ring. Any of us could have a thin pavé band for our e-rings. We can change our stones whenever we want. Meghan couldn't have a pavé band WITHOUT having it come with a three stone ring. That's all I'm sayin. Whatever style Meghan loves, she's got to do that style with a three stone ring. So let's hope the style doesn't look too hideous with three stones, cuz those three stones are stayin'!!! What if she wanted a halo?
Halo would have looked nicer than a three stone in my opinion.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same. It's a case when more is just... more. Her orginal ring was much more elegant and chic. I can understand if she wanted a thinner shank, but the addition of the pave just seems like what "an American actress who married into English royalty would do"... but as I said before, it's what matters to the wearer. LOL
I totally agree that a thinner plain shank would have been super gorgeous and more elegant. And you're right that the addition of the pave does seem very American actress-y! To each her own! As long as she's happy.

cressyrose

Rough_Rock
Her favourite jewellery brand is Natalie Marie Jewellery, a maker I have been frustrated at for years for overcharging their poor customers with engagement rings with 1.2mm bands (even with pave...!). This might be where her inspiration came from.

I agree with previous posters in that this new change highlights that Meghan really isn't like traditional English royalty at all. Very American actress.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I really like it and love the trio together! I LOVE her new eternity. It looks like a super-thin channel set. I’d love to know who made it. I have the 2mm channel set eternity from Tiffany, and I’d love an even thinner one.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
of course its her choice to do as she wants and if she was my friend - just as with all of you - i would not hurt her feelings and id tell her i love it because she must love it and its her ring

but if it were my ring i don't like the teeny weeny way too thin sparkling band
if anything i would have put it on a thicker gold band
her band now (my opinion only) looks like a really pretty little sparkly stacking ring with a huge out of proportion centre stone and two highly sentimental side stones that now don't get the attention they deserve because im too worried about the whole thing wearing thin and snapping and Princess Di's diamonds rolling into a drain
how can you insure something that can never be replaced ???

but i like wider bands
they look nicer on an aging hand and im not that much older than her

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, but then I love micro pave rings. Truthfully I'm not crazy about the two stones to the side of the center stone. They seem oddly matched. But I understand they were Diana's so I get the significance.

Is a black doctor really that unusual? Around here they come in all colors so it seems like an odd thing to mention.. I have been warned about various doctors over the years, but that was invariably because of their personality and skill, or lack thereof.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it, but then I love micro pave rings. Truthfully I'm not crazy about the two stones to the side of the center stone. They seem oddly matched. But I understand they were Diana's so I get the significance.

Is a black doctor really that unusual? Around here they come in all colors so it seems like an odd thing to mention.. I have been warned about various doctors over the years, but that was invariably because of their personality and skill, or lack thereof.
im missed the black doc bit ?
quite frankly when im sick i dont care if he or she is green and is from Mars so long as they speek English (only because that's the only language i know) and that they make me better !
we live in the provinces and for some unknown reason (despite cheap housing and an excellent enviroment for family living) its really hard to attract NZ doctors out of the main centres so the district health boards recruit from overseas - i couldn't tell you the last time i saw a New Zealand doctor and maybe one American doctor was white

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, but I think it’s way too thin for that set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results