shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding out true angle of diamond

Blurpandasg2014

Rough_Rock
GIA Cert round up/down crown angle and pavillion angle info which make data unreliable when placed into software like DiaCalc.

Is there anyway to get the exact angles of the diamond or isit worth to send the diamond to be appraised by a 3rd party

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I would think a Sarin scan would give this info. I believe that is how the angles are determined in the lab, as well.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have been wondering this same thing re: GIA grading reports. It's not only the angles that are unknown as to their true values, but some of the other measurements are also uncertain when I compare between what my report states versus if I use GIA Facetware... it is very frustrating to not be able to have definitive data. Is there a good/valid argument for rounding?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been wondering this same thing re: GIA grading reports. It's not only the angles that are unknown as to their true values, but some of the other measurements are also uncertain when I compare between what my report states versus if I use GIA Facetware... it is very frustrating to not be able to have definitive data. Is there a good/valid argument for rounding?
Because it's a sop by GIA to cutters/retailers, which allows them to get stones into GIA XXX that wouldn't otherwise reach that 'gold' :rolleyes: standard? lol

What irritates me is that they must scan them and know all the angles in order to do rounding (in the same way they must accurately assess a colour grade for MMDs in order to put them into the wider-ranging 'colourless' and 'near colourless' MMD report bandings) so why not just give us the damned info straight??

Annoying! lol

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry, not familiar with MMD???

AlanDiamond

Rough_Rock
how much does GIA round, are we talking about 0.1 or more - 0.2, 0.3, etc.? the diamond I'm looking at specifies exactly 34.0 and 41.0 which makes me wonder...

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
how much does GIA round, are we talking about 0.1 or more - 0.2, 0.3, etc.? the diamond I'm looking at specifies exactly 34.0 and 41.0 which makes me wonder...

I believe the rounding for crown is 0.5 and the Pavillion is 0.2

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Use the numbers as a guideline and IS/ASET images to narrow it down further.(heart images if h&a is claimed or desired)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would think a Sarin scan would give this info. I believe that is how the angles are determined in the lab, as well.
Correct.
There are other brands of scanners but sarin scan is often the generic term that is often used for them all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results