carat
color
clarity

Help - old emerald, worth it?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!
I am looking at buying a three stone ring. Emerald center stone (approx 2 ct) with two old cut diamond side stones (approx 1.2 ctw, J-K). What is not to like - an emerald asscher cut and diamond old cuts in a three stone ring?!
I havent seen it in person and would love your honest thoughts based on this (one and only) cropped picture. I am very thankful for any reply! You have always given such great honest advice. Price asked is approx 1000 USD, but may increase as it is an auction.
I am sorry, but I dont want to post the whole picture or a link since it is an auction and I dont want to give it away if I actually will make a bid... I am just curious to know what you think about the emerald.

emerald.png

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the colour (the only emeralds I generally like are the neon type from Columbia) & I like the jardin appearance, giving it a nice cloudy, interesting tone. But I don’t own an emerald & generally know nothing :D

Those claws need a bit of work to the straight sides, but if you love it & it’s in budget, it’s a no brainer!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the colour (the only emeralds I generally like are the neon type from Columbia) & I like the jardin appearance, giving it a nice cloudy, interesting tone. But I don’t own an emerald & generally know nothing :D

Those claws need a bit of work to the straight sides, but if you love it & it’s in budget, it’s a no brainer!

Thank you for your thoughts @Alex T ! I totally agree re buying what you love within budget but there always seem to turn up new beautiful pieces all the time..! I hate auctions, I prefer slower ways to purchase things. I think that is what makes me hesitate...

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is pretty light and there's a lot of jardin. The prong work looks pretty wonky as well.

If it's an eBay auction and the return window is generous enough for you to get a lab report to confirm that it's as described, then it could be worth a shot if you really love the style and color. If the auction is held by an auction house, then the risk increases greatly due to all items being sold as is, and you'd have no recourse if it turned out to be some fracture-filled mess.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seeing the whole ring would certainly help, but, you’re right..... better to not share it at the moment.

I like all emeralds. To me, even the lower quality ones are beautiful. This isn’t true for me for any other gem; just emeralds. This emerald could turn out to be lovely..... or not so much.

So, if it were me and the price right, I think I’d go for it as long as I liked the setting and it was of a good metal. What fun! I look forward to hearing what you decide. =)2

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cutting is pretty wonky, and it looks to have a huge window, and while color is extremely difficult to ascertain in the photographs of emeralds, It’s pale color indicates it’s not a high quality stone. We also don’t know if it’s a doublet, triplet, stimulant, synthetic, If there is a large amount of cracks and surface reaching fissures, etc..,

Basically, you have to ask yourself, “is $1000 a worthwhile risk? “ Hopefully you can get your money back if it isn’t as advertised, But there’s always a chance that you could lose 1K, or most of it on the true value of the ring.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The color is pretty light and there's a lot of jardin. The prong work looks pretty wonky as well.

If it's an eBay auction and the return window is generous enough for you to get a lab report to confirm that it's as described, then it could be worth a shot if you really love the style and color. If the auction is held by an auction house, then the risk increases greatly due to all items being sold as is, and you'd have no recourse if it turned out to be some fracture-filled mess.

Thank you @JPie !
You are right, it is an auction house and no returns. I really appreciate your honest opinion. I have always said to never buy colored gemstones without a possibility to return, yet I almost did so now!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seeing the whole ring would certainly help, but, you’re right..... better to not share it at the moment.

I like all emeralds. To me, even the lower quality ones are beautiful. This isn’t true for me for any other gem; just emeralds. This emerald could turn out to be lovely..... or not so much.

So, if it were me and the price right, I think I’d go for it as long as I liked the setting and it was of a good metal. What fun! I look forward to hearing what you decide. =)2

Thank you @LittleRed ! I was thinking I might change the stone if I didnt like it and keep the setting with diamonds. But the setting is in white gold and I generally only wear yg... just writing with you about this is making me realize I should pass...

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The cutting is pretty wonky, and it looks to have a huge window, and while color is extremely difficult to ascertain in the photographs of emeralds, It’s pale color indicates it’s not a high quality stone. We also don’t know if it’s a doublet, triplet, stimulant, synthetic, If there is a large amount of cracks and surface reaching fissures, etc..,

Basically, you have to ask yourself, “is $1000 a worthwhile risk? “ Hopefully you can get your money back if it isn’t as advertised, But there’s always a chance that you could lose 1K, or most of it on the true value of the ring.

True. Thank you for your honest input! @T L 1k doesnt feel that much to me, but I hate to buy something I wont wear. If I wont wear it, 1k is 1k too much.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @LittleRed ! I was thinking I might change the stone if I didnt like it and keep the setting with diamonds. But the setting is in white gold and I generally only wear yg... just writing with you about this is making me realize I should pass...

Writing it out can help sometimes. ;)2 Since you prefer yg, it sounds like you found your answer.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just don’t forget to add the buyers premium (if applicable) to the purchase price. If eBay, check the vendors feedback score (a decent number and 99% positive or so) and factor in any taxes that you might have to pay (depending on where you live).

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your helpful replies! Greatly appreciate it. Love this community!! I will post the full picture and link below for your viewing pleasure. I will pass on this one, mostly because I cant return it if I dont like the emerald. Lovely ring though, but there are always others..! :Up_to_something:
https://www.kaplans.se/en/auktioner/3544/vara/1528009
0.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: T L
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results