shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help on clarity of a particular stone

schratti

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

i am looking for a diamond for an engagement ring. i already figured out that my girlfriend likes smaller stones which is good for me and my budget ^^.
I think i did my homework and collected some informations about good proportions here on pricescope and on www.heartsandarrows.com. Now i am searching for the diamond at bluenile since i am from europe and buying a diamond via bluenile makes it much more convenient for me than via e.g. JamesAllen. I think i found a pretty good diamond according proportions but since its just a SI2 i am not really sure about its clarity and naked eye performance. I hope that someone of you guys with better trained eyes can help me and give me his or her opinion on the diamond and how it would perform set into a ring.
here is the diamond: https://www.bluenile.com/at/diamond-details/LD11584370?track=Detlink0

a little bit offtopic:
for those who are interested the stone will be set into this platinum setting (1.7mm bandwith) with 6 prongs instead of 4. upload_2019-3-17_14-40-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-17_14-37-9.png
    upload_2019-3-17_14-37-9.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 39

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys,

i am looking for a diamond for an engagement ring. i already figured out that my girlfriend likes smaller stones which is good for me and my budget ^^.
I think i did my homework and collected some informations about good proportions here on pricescope and on www.heartsandarrows.com. Now i am searching for the diamond at bluenile since i am from europe and buying a diamond via bluenile makes it much more convenient for me than via e.g. JamesAllen. I think i found a pretty good diamond according proportions but since its just a SI2 i am not really sure about its clarity and naked eye performance. I hope that someone of you guys with better trained eyes can help me and give me his or her opinion on the diamond and how it would perform set into a ring.
here is the diamond: https://www.bluenile.com/at/diamond-details/LD11584370?track=Detlink0

a little bit offtopic:
for those who are interested the stone will be set into this platinum setting (1.7mm bandwith) with 6 prongs instead of 4. upload_2019-3-17_14-40-21.png

I think the stone is nice! On the smaller side (obviously), but nice. I wouldn't do 6 prongs, because it will overwhelm the stone itself. I'm not that concerned with the inclusions in that size of stone, and it looks eye clean.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
From the video it looks eye clean diamond.
But the best practice is to ask the vendor
.It should be 100% clean to the eye from 20 cm.

schratti

Rough_Rock
many thanks for your reply!

can you guys also take a look at this one and tell me your opinion:
https://www.bluenile.com/at/diamond-details/LD11913150

its a little bit bigger (its the biggest i would take for my girlfriend since she likes the petite style) i know but just from the visual side. please tell me your opinions and which one you like the most

thanks!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
many thanks for your reply!

can you guys also take a look at this one and tell me your opinion:
https://www.bluenile.com/at/diamond-details/LD11913150

its a little bit bigger (its the biggest i would take for my girlfriend since she likes the petite style) i know but just from the visual side. please tell me your opinions and which one you like the most

thanks!
Twinning Wisps are the best sort of inclusion in many ways - they are often see-through (so don't stand out like a black or white inclusion from a distance) and often have no real effect on a stone's light performance, as I understand it.

If a Twiinng Wisp is the only inclusion in this stone, definitely place it on hold and ask the vendor to check if it is 'eye clean' and there is no impact on light performance (if they offer that service - I know BN is lower cost so may not be able to carry out such a check).

If all is good, I think you will have found an excellent SI2!

It is a 60/60 (60% table, 60% depth) style of stone, so will tend to give more white light return than coloured 'fire', and I think they tend to have more 'spread' (size) as well. Run the angles through the HCA tool to make sure it scores under 2, and if it does, and if you are happy with the 60/60 style (which many are), then I think you've found a winner.

The benefit of the PS-recommended vendors is that they have excellent Returns policies if you change your mind for any reason upon looking at it yourself :)

schratti

Rough_Rock
Hej OoohShiny,

thanks for your reply i really appreciate that you told me in more detail your opinion of the stone. I ran the specs through the HCA tool and it scored 1.0 with each category 'Excellent'. I also asked BN to check if the diamond is eye-clean (will get the answer within 48 hours).
Can i believe them when they say that its eye-clean? i mean they want to sell the diamond so it would be in their interest that they say the diamond looks great.

Thanks alot again!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also asked BN to check if the diamond is eye-clean (will get the answer within 48 hours).
Can i believe them when they say that its eye-clean? i mean they want to sell the diamond so it would be in their interest that they say the diamond looks great.
It isn't in their interest to say the stone looks great if it doesn't because misrepresenting their product damages their brand. Online stores live and die by reputation as much if not more than B&M stores. If they're not being honest with their customers that kills the business model.
Clarify with them that if they say it's eye-clean, what distance do they use in determining that and is it from the top, side, whatever. And then you'll have some clarity on what to expect.
If you are happy with how it looks in the hugely magnified image AND they confirm it to be eyeclean to a specific definition (8 inches away, top down etc) then you could feel reasonably confident that it'll look good. But don't forget you can always send it back within 30 days though that might be a hassle to do if you're overseas from their shipping location.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to foxinsox' advice! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results