shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: 4ct pendant or pendant-earring combo?

which would you rather be given?

• 4ct pendant

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • 2.5ct pendant and 3.4ct earring set

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably upgrade the earrings/pendant to a color better matched to her engagement ring. I take it though that neither of you seem bothered by the color of any of what she has now so maybe that wouldn't be as important to you. I think a four carat pendant would look somehow lopsided with a four carat engagement ring - I just don't think they should be the same size. I would caution about the earring size too - some people don't like earrings that are too large that they overtake the earlobe. Not sure if her earlobes are large or small.

I could definitely go with upgrading her engagement ring to this - I would love the upgrade in color personally!
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4055562.htm

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would probably upgrade the earrings/pendant to a color better matched to her engagement ring. I take it though that neither of you seem bothered by the color of any of what she has now so maybe that wouldn't be as important to you. I think a four carat pendant would look somehow lopsided with a four carat engagement ring - I just don't think they should be the same size. I would caution about the earring size too - some people don't like earrings that are too large that they overtake the earlobe. Not sure if her earlobes are large or small.

I could definitely go with upgrading her engagement ring to this - I would love the upgrade in color personally!
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4055562.htm

Whoa! That would be amazing! It would also be double my upgrade budget (assuming I could get rid of her current e-ring for close to what I paid). Yes though, in 10 years, I will definitely be shopping for something like that!

I don't know if the pendant will be lopsided: perhaps it will be, perhaps it won't be. A couple of people who work for the vendor we are using thought it to be OK. And yes, there is the consideration of having a "matching" color pendant-earring-e-ring setup, but personally speaking, the eye draws away from the different stones and I don't see the color difference unless I look for it. For some reason, the pendant always seems cooler in color than it actually is. The earrings, not so much, perhaps as they are against her skin tone, while the pendant is usually against a contrasting top or dress she is wearing.

1.5ct studs look perfect on her ears; I wouldn't want to go bigger.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Earrings a nice, if she is an uber chick who loves earrings then go for the set, but I'm with the go BIG crowd.. I have 2 sets of studs okay in my life/price range they are both .50 carats a piece, now my ear lobes have one hole that needs at least a one carater and I'm just can't afford that, so I am giving the MRB earrings to my son as a push present for his wife (as it was MY push present for him 31 years ago).. If I had a choice of a 4 ct mrb I'd die and go to heaven.. so you have to take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Do you have daughters who would inherit this stuff? then earrings could be split up easily.. basically I want your wife's jewelry.. ha! come back and let us know what you did Please!

I will!

Reactions: AV_

bespokecarmel

Shiny_Rock
A ‘one and done’ vote for the fabulous 4 ct...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I'd be delighted to be asked to choose, of course...

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
I am in the 4 ct pendant camp or alternatively a 3 stone right hand ring.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Not to change the subject or veer too far off course, but I could alternately, for the cost of the "big" stone, get her a sizeable upgrade and still have a lot left over for a strand of Mikimotos (pre-loved). She doesn't have any "real" pearls, although she has a pretty nice $1000 set from Pearl Paradise (freshwater I think) that she wears alternately with her pendant. The "sizeable" upgrade would be something like 2.3ct instead of the 4ct honker.

maybe I am just getting analysis paralysis, but it is worth considering. There is a gorgeous strand of South Sea pearls over on 1stdibs for $20k OBO.

And, if I asked her, I would get the "stop spending so much money on me! I am not worth it!"

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Not to change the subject or veer too far off course, but I could alternately, for the cost of the "big" stone, get her a sizeable upgrade and still have a lot left over for a strand of Mikimotos (pre-loved). She doesn't have any "real" pearls, although she has a pretty nice $1000 set from Pearl Paradise (freshwater I think) that she wears alternately with her pendant. The "sizeable" upgrade would be something like 2.3ct instead of the 4ct honker.

maybe I am just getting analysis paralysis, but it is worth considering. There is a gorgeous strand of South Sea pearls over on 1stdibs for $20k OBO.

And, if I asked her, I would get the "stop spending so much money on me! I am not worth it!"
And of course you would reply "Don't be so silly, of course you are worth it! If you won't choose, I'll choose for you!". :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
"l am not worth it!":

This is inconceivable.

I might imagine that your woman does not quite understand what these things mean to you, because I took an awful lot of time to get the other side.

TMI

Obviously, by now I am curious what she does want! (just instinct, dully put down)

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really would want to know what she likes and wants. Throwing money darts at the board and hoping you land on something she really wants seems like a big gamble. Explain that you want to buy her a gift and would like her input regarding which of the items she would enjoy. I wouldn't take her 'I'm not worth it comment' for an answer. That's really not an answer - maybe she thinks the money would be better spent in other areas of your lives.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really would want to know what she likes and wants. Throwing money darts at the board and hoping you land on something she really wants seems like a big gamble. Explain that you want to buy her a gift and would like her input regarding which of the items she would enjoy. I wouldn't take her 'I'm not worth it comment' for an answer. That's really not an answer - maybe she thinks the money would be better spent in other areas of your lives.

Agree with @MissGotRocks completely.
All we are voting on and sharing is what we would like. That doesn't matter here. It's what your sweetheart wants and would enjoy wearing. That is the only thing that matters.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was talking to my dermatologist about jewelry the other day and I complimented her beautiful ering. Of course I asked the specs. She didn't know and said that her husband buys all of her jewelry and that she would have preferred a fabulous trip to Europe. Maybe you should press further before you spend such a big amount.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was talking to my dermatologist about jewelry the other day and I complimented her beautiful ering. Of course I asked the specs. She didn't know and said that her husband buys all of her jewelry and that she would have preferred a fabulous trip to Europe. Maybe you should press further before you spend such a big amount.

Good point! I know she isn't in that camp though, as she tells me at least once a week about a compliment she got, and how she is so happy to wear these nice diamonds, as they came from me. I know she greatly appreciates them.

24karats

Rough_Rock
Definitely the 4 carat upgrade. Doing both the earring + pendant upgrade won’t be as much of a noticeable change imo although very nice. But upgrading to a 4 carat stone is a lot more significant imo.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just an update: we haven't come to a conclusion on this yet. She now wants to stop by the Mikimoto dealer and look at a strand of South Sea pearls. Her thinking is somewhat along the lines of "I have really nice diamonds already: why not something a bit different?". If we go with the pearls for her, I may still surprise her with an earring upgrade.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@dumbo I am idly curious if there are any natural pearls offered. Paspaley does.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Since everything mentioned is delicious rather than the kind of stuff most of us would probably ever want to upgrade on, I'd rather have more pieces of jewelry, personally.

Also, my preference would be no other diamonds larger than the e-ring diamond. It just seems like cheating or something lol.

And, especially since she's mentioned pearls as "something different," maybe toss a colored stone in there somewhere! Colored stone right hand ring (maybe her birthstone)?

Finally, at Mikimoto, of course you'd be paying a premium for the brand name. You could go with Pearl Paradise, for example, get the matching pearl earrings to go with the strand and still save a bunch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results