carat
color
clarity

President Trump's base - a plausible explanation

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I did read it yesterday. I was amazed at the conclusions that they found. I'm not a fan of evangelicals, but I never would have suspected that those who do not go to church are Trump voters.

But it does make sense that trust is greater in communities that have strong churches. The social fabric is much tighter and I do believe in a strong church people will help you if needed.

It was a good read, Perry.

Annette

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People like(d) Trump because he said words they wanted to hear.
Words however aren’t actions.
The words that people wanted to hear ie “we’ll build a wall to keep the criminals out and make America safe again” or “We’ll rebuild the steel industry” or “Everyone can have cheap Medical insurance” were said but the reality of bringing those words to fruition is just not possible.
Building a wall to keep immigrants and criminals out can’t work, apart from the fact that people are already tunneling underneath walls or barriers where they already exist - criminals are already American citizens, drug dealers are already American citizens and drugs, terrorists etc are coming in by sea, air or land through checkpoints - not expanses of land where there is no wall. A wall, if built, will be nothing more than symbolic barrier, a very expensive symbol that will change nothing.
Rebuild the steel industry? The fact is the price of steel manufactured in the US isn’t price competitive. Do Americans want to pay $30,000 for a car built with US steel or the same car for $20,000 built with foreign made steel?
And people in America will never have cheap and satisfactory access to medical treatment for all when the medical system is run by Big business ie profit making enterprises.
So Trump is no more than a “snake oil” salesman, he is simply saying the words he knows people want to hear. He has no ability to deliver on these promises because if the answer was that simple and easy, a better man than him would have already done it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One (probably small) group of Trump voters that is religious but doesn't go to church you can find on social media like Instagram. Tons of them post "devotionals" on Sundays and count that as worship. When I lived in Chicago I had a friend who was deeply religious but rarely attended church. She also HATED people who used food stamps and used to bitch about it all the time on social media to her likeminded friends. Sometimes we would get together on Sundays (our husbands watched football together, or we'd have a baby shower to go to or something) and I'd say "how was church today" or some small talk, and she'd say "Oh, we didn't go, I just did a devotional/watched a tv program."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results