shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubies GRS Vivid Red (without strong flouresence)

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
And once a week, someone will post about pigeon blood rubies. Was it Richard Wise who said that? I cannot remember the exact quote.

I have to choose one pair only among three pairs of rubies. What are your thoughts? The emerald pair is certified vivid red by GRS. I am not sure. It is not as flourescent as the other two pairs from Burma. I would appreciate your views. Rubies.jpg

Top one. But does it have extinction? Not easy to buy online.

Thank you.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally I like the long cushions the best, and the bottom pair of rounds. But I'm no expert and can only comment on color.

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Second vote for the long cushions. They're all great though!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Third vote for the long ones. The shape makes them more unusual and the color!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To me the round ones look to be on the pink side.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I believe the long emerald ones suffer form extinction. I believe GRS has been too generous in offering it a vivid red grading. They do look too purple and dark for my liking. But I cannot judge because I do not have them before me. I have a ruby like this. It dies in certain light due to lack of fluourescence.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would not get any. The long ones are too dark, the middle ones are too cloudy, and the bottom one is too pink.

I would keep looking if it were me, but to answer your question if I had to pick one, I would take the bottom one, even though it is more pink.

The long ones... I am not sure how you would set them. They are too dark for earrings, no sparkle, and will disappear against skin and hair as earrings. The shape is going to be difficult for a ring.

Just my two cents and my vote. Good luck!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies, such tricky gemstones. I don’t what price point you are talking but I would assume that the lighting and camera is better than mine (inside at night just under ceiling light photo taken with an iPhone).
From your choices, the top pair, I like their shape but if they are earrings once set and against the earlobe I think that will look way too dark.
The middle ones look very silky, more opaque than transparent.
The bottom two, don’t seem such a great match for colour or cut.
Have you seen them in person? Are there more photos, a video?
Failing that, what’s the vendors return policy. I really think you need to see them in person to get a true impression of their colour and light performance. 2166F974-17B7-4767-8099-C054815F703D.jpeg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on what you would enjoy looking at every day, to such a degree that you would wear it for the whole year and not get tired of it. This is my new way of determining what to buy.

I personally do not like the red of the first pair, although it is probably more classic. At the same time, the cut will look stunning in long earrings and the vertical position could help with the extinction. And you don’t look at own earrings most of the time, but I bet you’ll get a lot of compliments on them, no doubt. They look as if from a Samurai drama.

But if I were to choose the one for me, i’d choose the lower R stone. It is closer to a pink sapphire, or maybe the photo makes it look such, it happens sometimes, but it has a nice crystal and certain vibrancy. It is a much livelier stone, although pinkier. (The matching one is not super matching, but OK).

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Rubies, such tricky gemstones. I don’t what price point you are talking but I would assume that the lighting and camera is better than mine (inside at night just under ceiling light photo taken with an iPhone).
From your choices, the top pair, I like their shape but if they are earrings once set and against the earlobe I think that will look way too dark.
The middle ones look very silky, more opaque than transparent.
The bottom two, don’t seem such a great match for colour or cut.
Have you seen them in person? Are there more photos, a video?
Failing that, what’s the vendors return policy. I really think you need to see them in person to get a true impression of their colour and light performance. 2166F974-17B7-4767-8099-C054815F703D.jpeg

Wow, I love your rubies. Are they for sale? That top one, at the top left corner as I am facing the screen, the huge top one at the left. It is oval. What are its details?

Thank you

Last edited:

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:appl:Chaik,

Guilty as charged!

RWW

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Richard, what are your thoughts, then about these rubies?

It would be interesting for all of us to understand rubies better. From the man himself.

Thank you.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ChaiK,

Unfortunately, though I have retired, PS considers me a member of the trade. Thus, I am precluded from making any comment about other vendor's gems. I did, however, extensively update my ruby chapter which includes images of fine examples and comments the newer sources of rubies from Tanzania and Mozambique.

Also, as I have said many times before, a picture may save a thousand words but in the era of photoshop it can tell ten thousand lies.

RWW

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ChaiK,

Just thought of something I can say! The more diminished the fluorescence the higher the iron content. Iron diminishes saturation and adds an orange secondary hue. Mozambique rubies may contain almost no iron or quite a lot. The ones that have little fluoresce quite vividly.

RWW

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Richard. I shall be buying your book.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so I went for the first pair after all. The vendor is setting it for me. When it comes I will show you. I had it set so that I could wear the with or without my pearls (Edisons at 15mm)

Meanwhile, I also bought this bangle from Ultimate Jadeite. Nandar was very kind to me and sent me so many pictures without dressing them up in any way. This one is certified grade A. Just a little diversion whilst I wait for the ruby earrings.

icm_fullxfull.165635502_e190xacknio84gs4sw8s.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another picture with the certificate.

icm_fullxfull.168247890_bt8zy1ra3tsk04ow8w0w.jpg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
And another one
icm_fullxfull.165629484_pci3ko5h76s0wggw8wko.jpg

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ChaiK,

A hue may be vivid without fluorescence, since that judgement is independent of the existence or non-existence of fluorescence. Many gems sport viviid hues without fluorescence. However, the fact is that fluorescence, when present adds an additional dimension that kicks up the impact.

Love the bangle, a beautiful sea weed green. That's !A? What's the name of the lab? At first glance I thought it might be moss agate, but that material normally exhibits better transparency (crystal) which give the inclusions a lovely 3-D affect which is missing here.

Best,
RWW

Reactions: AV_

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Though the stones in the middle are prob the most classic ruby red color, and are nice too I like the bottom round ones the best. I'd be afraid the top stones would look dark... I want rubies that look like rubies, not garnets (could be my screen).

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Richard. Your advice was and is invaluable. I really hope this pair of rubies are vivid in hue. No way of telling until they arrive. I took a gamble there.

The vendor of these rubies sent me a pair of tsavorites on which he was very accurate in his description and assurance. I had wanted to go for another pair and he advised against it. They were more expensive, the ones I wanted. But he asked me to take the cheaper pair - and he proved right. No window and brilliant green.

He has been honest thus far....I can only show you what these rubies look like when they arrive.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and most people use Nan Yang Labs in Singapore. Mr Zeng of Nan Yang labs is very respectable.

Reactions: AV_

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
@ChaiK , I know it’s been a while but I would be keen to see the picture of your mounted rubies :)

Any chance you could share them with us?

Thank you in advance!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@ChaiK , I know it’s been a while but I would be keen to see the picture of your mounted rubies :)

Any chance you could share them with us?

Thank you in advance!

I think there is a show your ruby thread somewhere here. I posted it on that thread. I am not keen to post any of my jewellery for the moment.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I like the bottom rounds. I prefer flouro though and would reccomend you check out flouro vs not rubies IRL to determine what you like.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the bottom rounds.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
@ChaiK found them, thank you :) they look very nice!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@ChaiK found them, thank you :) they look very nice!

So sorry about not posting my jewellery. I had a terrible fright the other day regarding my jewellery. All is well but I think best to keep quiet and private.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry about not posting my jewellery. I had a terrible fright the other day regarding my jewellery. All is well but I think best to keep quiet and private.
No problem at all and glad to hear all is well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results