shape
carat
color
clarity

What does watery scintillation looks like?

Keenlearner

Rough_Rock
so I have been reading about digging and painting out of curiosity and read that it can cause the diamond to have watery scintillation rather than on/off scintillation, do any of you have videos or picture examples to show the difference? I have no idea what does watery scintillation looks like and would like to know. Thanks

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I had not noticed the odd wording!

There are a few 'painted' RBC at JA at any given time, with large reflective/dark areas around the tips of the 'arrows'... (will search). The look is a little suprising, and the video setup does exagerate darkness (IHMO) so it is not friendly to these.

Odd & not common at all.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
It really depends on the amount of painting.
I had an Eightstar, and it was too much painting for me.
I had a WF ACA New Line (they don't do them anymore), and it was really nice.
Actually, my opinion is that painting makes some steep/deep combo look better, but it is really bad on a diamond with HCA < 1.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any images of this?

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
No, sorry! sad :((

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I may well be wrong about these:

Much that I know,

This is 'dug' - the dark/reflective engrossing of the arrows from top to bottom, comming from a reduced index angle between pavilion facets:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-d-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-296312

&

This is panted: same index problem, on the crown - the tip of the arroes get dark/reflective envelpes, but the shafts of the arrows do not:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...d-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6188944

IHMO, the videos are merciless & unfair to these two - and to many other diamonds with extra contrast. The black areas will flash happy in real life much of the time, and this nice side is not shown at all.

I might compare such diamonds with single cuts - there are more facets, sure, but flatter than usual, so reflections get simplified into these larger areas reflecting together. Large round single cuts are quite unusual, and the cut might be described as 'watery' (if in a very different way than rose cuts are 'watery', for sure!).

rambling

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I may well be wrong about these:

Much that I know,

This is 'dug' - the dark/reflective engrossing of the arrows from top to bottom, comming from a reduced index angle between pavilion facets:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-d-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-296312
AV_, this diamond is not 'dug', and the certificate doesn't seem to match the diamond, look at the girdle, it is more painted than 'dug', and the thickness is not thin to mediium. @jamesallenrings ?
EDIT : no way this can be a 3EX

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I agree about the girdle. I have only considered the reflections, which seem to imply that the pavilion facets are unusual too.

Quite an example, sure enough.

I would love to play with this thing!
_

Re. matching paper: the small cluster of of whatnot on the report seem to be in the expected position... Not sure what else to look for to match the report.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Second diamond has a steep crown, and the slight painting is clever, not enough to go down in cut grade but enough to help the performance a little.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
EDIT : no way this can be a 3EX

The HCA does not account for indexing.

This is an unusual bit of diamond =)2

(for posterity: HCA is 0.6 thrice 'Ex', TIC)

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
AV_, this is not the right certificate, and this is not a 3EX GIA.
It is way too shallow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results