shape
carat
color
clarity

Following Up on Mrs-B's I1 Thread - What do you think?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am in the preliminary stages of a three stone ring, maybe. I have a 1.49 J VS-something MRB. So I decided, following on Mrs-B's I1 thread, to see what I could find for two side stones in the .4-.5 range in H-J color, I1. Just to see. I would like to buy my side stones myself. I have used the PS ranges for table, depth, crown angle and pavillion angle while setting all search terms to excellent or above depending on who was doing the grading. I have never done this before...so tell me - how did I do? This was really kind of fun.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-i-color-i1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5891888 (feather at 1:00 seems like it could be pronged. But not sure about the one at about 4:00 There are some pin points of something throughout at 20x but not seen at 10x).

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-j-color-i1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5807573
feather at 7 o'clock

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-j-color-i1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5563686
This is my favorite

C

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, it’s hard to believe that the last one is an I1! That is my favorite as well!:mrgreen2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Reactions: caf

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl:Thanks Luce and RockyS for participating! That Whiteflash K pair are awesome!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And RS - I wondered about the feather in the JA J SI2 - your #3. I didn’t know if it could be seen or not.

I might have them pulled.

I think it’s so fun to go through them though and see if I can tell good from bad. Or less good. I’m learning.

Fellow quilter
CAF

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @caf :wavey:

Firstly, let me just encourage you to stay in the J range if you're matching a center J stone. Smaller stones tend to look whiter, and if you have a larger J center, and smaller H, for example, sides, the color disparity will be very noticeable in an annoying way. So I'd stay with J's.

And secondly.....

That third diamond....WOW!! I'd definitely be getting that one!

Neither of the other two looks like a good match to me, so I'd wait a while and get something that went with your new side a little better. The difference in arrow 'fatness' is too much, for my eye, so unless you're in a hurry, I'd be waiting for a bit and seeing what you can find. I find that, since sides are so much smaller, larger arrows on sides give a better cohesion to the whole ring. So all that to say - I'd be all over the 3rd diamond, then would wait a bit for the second side. It's not like these are matched pairs you're splitting, so it costs you nothing to wait a little and see what comes down the pipeline. I'd also look on BN in the SI2 range; there may well be something there.

You're doing great! Good luck!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And RS - I wondered about the feather in the JA J SI2 - your #3. I didn’t know if it could be seen or not.

I might have them pulled.

I think it’s so fun to go through them though and see if I can tell good from bad. Or less good. I’m learning.

Fellow quilter
CAF
I think you won't know your tolerance for seeing until they are pulled. Everyone varies and that can be balanced by your budget and needs. Accepting a less than perfect stone with good numbers might be balanced by your budget and design desires. I love clean stones, but I love staying in my budget just as much!

We have to post a "show us your quilts" thread over on Hangout! I love to see others work.:wavey:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mrs. B and RockyS.

Ok so I bought the .43 J I1 tonight. The JA rep said she did a double take at the description after she looked at the stone. Agreed it was incredibly clean.

I’ll post pics after I get it.

As to quilts- agreed. I give most of mine away. I’ll see if I have any photos. I did a contemporary one for my DD in 2017. I’ll see if I can find photos. It was a little wonky but probably only a quilter would know.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
06BD736E-C6B1-4B84-B187-A999C0A6AC6F.jpeg 06BD736E-C6B1-4B84-B187-A999C0A6AC6F.jpeg
Here’s photo of contemporary one. For dd’s dorm room.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results