shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with 2.15 ct from BN

c3doyle

Rough_Rock
True, but not by much and it's really a fabulous diamond, H&A, AGS0. I'm very partial to AGS.

True, it’s gorgeous but $1,200 extra can be hard to swallow.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, it’s gorgeous but $1,200 extra can be hard to swallow.

Absolutely. It's roughly 7% more expensive. I always look up <10% more than budget, just in case. Some people will pay more for guaranteed excellence. Some won't .

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm just curious, is there something wrong with the stone I linked? It fits all criteria and budget, and it's an ACA to boot. What's not to like?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Ellen Not at all, I must've missed your post! I'll definitely take a look.

Any thoughts on this stone? I'm trying to create a short list right now and the only thing that's holding me back from adding this one is the blemish on the table. Any feedback is appreciated!

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.18-ct-I-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42174602?rfr=simila
The crown angle is just a little higher than I typically shot for, but all in all it's not bad at all. I think this would be a very pretty diamond. :wink2:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just curious, is there something wrong with the stone I linked? It fits all criteria and budget, and it's an ACA to boot. What's not to like?

You don't have to talk long to talk me into a WF ACA. Images and proportions are great. Top notch performer hands down. Plus a unicorn as there aren't many 1.9x carat super ideal out there. Most stones are cut for weight, not beauty so it's hard for WF and other super ideal vendors to get the rough to fabricate such a stone.

My biggest concern is the magnified view makes the clarity look scary. I see the webpage details indicate the stone is eye clean. And a really nice advantage to WF is they have this stone in stock in their vault. You can call them and have one of their gemologist pull the stone and evaluate it with human eyes. They can pull other comparable stones as well, shoot pics and videos, etc. Customer service is top notch.

My other concern is if the OP can live with a stone technically < 2 carats by weight but sizes that if you look at MM dimensions instead. If so, this is a great find as you avoid paying premium dollars for barely creeping over a certain weight.

I'd personally rather have a 1.9x carat super ideal than a barely 2 carat GIA XXX unless I had a XXX unicorn with perfect proportions and images to prove it.

@Ellen Not at all, I must've missed your post! I'll definitely take a look.

Any thoughts on this stone? I'm trying to create a short list right now and the only thing that's holding me back from adding this one is the blemish on the table. Any feedback is appreciated!

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.18-ct-I-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42174602?rfr=simila

Table is okay at 58 but we prefer to be 54-57. If all other things were equal, a stone with a smaller table will produce more fire but we are probably talking marginal amounts that can be seen with the naked eye.

The steep 35.5 crown has worked with a shallow 40.6 pavilion but you are pushing the bounds. As you may or may not be aware, GIA rounds and averages values in a funky way so 35.5 may be more (bad) or less (good) than the reported 35.5 crown.

Remember, at the end of the day the stones that sparkle the most is because math and angles aligned properly.

Also it should be noted that looking at angles and proportions and then running an HCA is just a preliminary screening step. The next step is to request an idealscope or ASET image as that will either confirm or deny assumptions about light return. H&A images only confirm symmetry and it would be a mistake to use them as light performance determinants. Ideally, you'd like to have a good ASET and idealscope and excellent symmetry for the most sparkle. The reality is that most virtual inventory dealers like Adiamor and similar won't have the additional images for you to confirm and you will be forced to make a decision on limited information.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
sledge, pretty much agree with everything you've said. As far as the ACA and clarity, I would reiterate to the OP to have them look at it according to his version of eye clean. So to elaborate, that means if one doesn't want to see anything from any angle at any distance, Nicfit needs to tell the set of eyes at WF that. Then go from there. I have learned that what something looks like on paper, magnified, can indeed look scary, on paper. But in real life, most times not a problem.

Yes, GIA does round, so we don't know exactly what we're looking at in terms of performance. However, this diamond would probably out perform most, if not all in OP's circle. That said, since you gave your opinion, I will chime in and agree. Between these two stones, I would pick the ACA, hands down.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nicfit, just so you know, I own a pair of ACA studs. So I do know how beautiful they are, I'm not just going by a piece of paper. They are cut to a certain standard, so there's no guessing on their beauty and performance. ;-)

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
@sledge Yeah, buying from virtual inventory is such a crap shoot. it's impossible to get additional info and images on these stones. To your point, you just have to buy off of extremely limited info, cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm a bit stressed because time is running out, and I dont have time to be buying and returning diamonds if they dont work out. Who knew buying a stone would take so much time, and not to mention, agony! LOL

@Ellen ACAs and HPDs are aspirational. I feel like they're way out of my budget for the size and clarity I'm trying to get. One day...! :)

Am I needlessly worrying about the crystal that is on the table of this Adiamor diamond? I understand that the image is magnified but I feel like it'd be visible from 6-10 inches. Thoughts?

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.18-ct-I-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42174602?rfr=similar

Of these 4 (including the original one above), which would you get?

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.18-ct-I-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42326742?rfr=similar
HCA: 1.9

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.20-ct-I-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42061569
HCA: .9; though this one has a good HCA, I'm not too crazy about the overall look of the stone. The arrows aren't distinct at all, no contrast -- perhaps that's why it's priced so low?

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.10-ct-J-VVS2-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42065843
HCA: 1.6; really don't want to go down to a J unless it's a high J, and this definitely looks to be on the warmer side, but proportions look good.

Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate you guys helping a stranger on the internet out.

Last edited:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
@sledge

@Ellen ACAs and HPDs are aspirational. I feel like they're way out of my budget for the size and clarity I'm trying to get. One day...! :)
Nic, I'm confused and wondering if you could clarify something. At the beginning of this thread, you posted this:

My desired specs are:
1.8- 2.2 ct
SI1-VS1, I color
Price range: 15k-17k

I posted this diamond below. The bank wire price is 16,913. It falls withing the color, clarity and size you wanted. It's superbly cut so there's no worries there. How is this out of your reach?
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4018645.htm

You are listing stones that cost more than what mine does, yet you act like it's out of your reach. I'm confused. :confused: If you buy an ACA you don't have to worry about what you're getting. There's no guessing here. It's going to be stunning. I don't know anything about the company you are looking at. I would personally rather go with a well known company that produces well cut diamonds. But that's just me. :))

outofthebox

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I’m hoping to get your expert help in selecting “the one”. PS has been an invaluable resource, albeit a tad overwhelming! I’m a relative novice when it comes to diamonds, and have searched high and low for an engagement ring stone primarily on BN, JA, GOG, Brilliant Earth,
Hello!

I’m hoping to get your expert help in selecting “the one”. PS has been an invaluable resource, albeit a tad overwhelming! I’m a relative novice when it comes to diamonds, and have searched high and low for an engagement ring stone primarily on BN, JA, GOG, Brilliant Earth, Brian Gavin etc. I think I zeroed in on one that might fit the bill in terms of quality and price point. I ran the numbers on HCA, and it scored 1.9. I would love some additional insight into this stone as I want to be as well informed as possible before this big purchase. The link to the stone is below:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Thanks so much! :)

Brian Gavin etc. I think I zeroed in on one that might fit the bill in terms of quality and price point. I ran the numbers on HCA, and it scored 1.9. I would love some additional insight into this stone as I want to be as well informed as possible before this big purchase. The link to the stone is below:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Thanks so much! :)
I went through same process you are going through last year picking a diamond for my wife.
I spent a too much time learning and talking to experts. With my limited knowledge gained in a year of researched I would pick this diamond and go on nice holiday with my money saved. IMHO this diamond would offer the best bang for your buck and stand out among the ones your looking at. I'm mostly measuring size, quality, value and bling in my assessment good luck. I ended up buying a si2 and nobody can tell the imperfection with the naked eye and my wife is so impressed with it. (phew)
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/119172...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
Thanks @outofthebox for your empathy and recommendation!

Was wondering if your wife’s stone has a significant inclusion on the table like the SI2 you linked me. If so, how visible is it up close? I

outofthebox

Rough_Rock
Thanks @outofthebox for your empathy and recommendation!

Was wondering if your wife’s stone has a significant inclusion on the table like the SI2 you linked me. If so, how visible is it up close? I
My wife's has small black specs through the sides and you cant see it until you pull out the magnifying glass. The ring shines so much that it hides it and if someone has eagle eyes he or she would be blinded. The Size and brightness is what people first notice so that's why Excellent cut is a must, then size for money is my second most important factor. I think diamond snobs will notice the I color first. The g color will have them guessing on the quality. If your not sure order your perfect diamond and this bigger diamond and let your wife decide and send the loser diamond back. I have bought diamonds from both USA certed and b2b and they should be able to accommodate you.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Si2 diamond linked is highly unlikely to be eye clean, given the large black inclusion just under the table.

outofthebox

Rough_Rock
Maybe, maybe not. I was overthinking my pick till I talked to Martin Sheffield. of USA Certed. You can flush allot of money down the toilet looking for your perfect diamond. We all make sacrifices to get the best diamond for our price range. Color was not my sacrifice. Small inclusions that cant be seen with the naked eye was mine and I gained lots of size doing it. Good luck in your hunting.

Btw you can ask the sellers if its eye clean. When you receive it you can send it back if you dont like it. (I think its still like that)

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Just keep in mind - AGS grades about 1 color grade higher than GIA, so their I would equate to a GIA J. I learnt this the hard way. 3 times.
Hi Mrs B can you tell me more about that? I recently purchase J ACA and worried too...

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three posts on pricescope (all on this thread) acclaiming the awesomeness of an SI2 which OP has not designated in his specs. And that isn’t as well cut as others recommended here. From a drop shipper whose own policies state they cannot guarantee their proffered goods are even available. And who has NO upgrade/trade in/buy back program.

That’s a little too out of the box for me:think: :wall:

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up going with a WF ACA 2.32 ct SI I, after jiggering with the budget a bit. Turns out that WF wasn't as out of reach as I had originally thought.

Oh, and I’d like to add that I am the fiancee to-be. I’ve been lurking PS for years as I set out on my journey to have several bezel set diamond pendant necklaces made, and have been a fan ever since. I’m super particular about my jewelry, so I wanted to source a diamond myself, and then have my BF take on the e-ring design…with VERY specific parameters, of course! Lol

It seems as though the 1.9xx ct has been linked a number of times in this thread by multiple members, and I thank everyone who was looking out for me; I just wasn’t feeling it for some reason.

When I found the WF 2.32 ct, I thought it was absolutely gorgeous, but the crystal on the table was extremely worrisome, though we were assured that it was completely eye clean and had many pics sent to us to confirm this. We ordered it thinking that we’d be returning it, but BOY was I ever wrong. We received it last night and it took. my. breath. away. :-o It’s even more impressive in-person and I’m over-the-moon in love with it. WF is a prime example of a company that under promises and over delivers. I couldn’t get over how expertly cut / perfectly symmetrical it is, and admired it pretty much all evening. I wanted to take it to bed with me like a teddy bear. Lol

BF reached out to DK a week ago to do our engagement ring, and although replies have been hard to come by, it’s looking like a possibility. We’re in So. CA, so hopefully my BF will be able to meet him next week to get the ball rolling. You guys sure do keep him very busy!

Again, I’m incredibly grateful for everyone’s help during the search. Consider me a WF convert :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: I had no doubt you'd love an ACA (though I didn't know YOU were the better half lol). So glad the budget worked out to get that size, bigger is better. ::)

Please come back and show us the finished product, I can't wait to see it!

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for everything, Ellen! I’ll definitely post pics...I’ve been dreaming of this ring for years! :))

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for everything, Ellen! I’ll definitely post pics...I’ve been dreaming of this ring for years! :))

Oh and absolutely, ACA is on another level. I’ve been to so many b and m shops to look at “high end” diamonds and they pale in comparison!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and absolutely, ACA is on another level. I’ve been to so many b and m shops to look at “high end” diamonds and they pale in comparison!!
In a word, yes.
Uhhuh.gif

And you are very welcome. :wink2:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow !!! Even better than your specs started. And an ACA!!! Yikes!!! Congrats!!!!

(Where are the pics?! ):halo:

Nicfit

Rough_Rock
@ringo865 Thank you! Yeah, the specs, or rather, the budget has evolved a bit since the beginning. I'm just so thrilled that the search is over, and I ended up with an ACA. I'll post pictures of it this weekend. I took some pics last night buy they're potato quality, so... :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results