shape
carat
color
clarity

Thanks for all the info, PS! Presenting the results of all your expert advice:

stylistbydesign

Rough_Rock
Allow me to apologize for my 2+ years of lurking here at PriceScope! I have been interested in purchasing a custom diamond ring for some time, and have spent quite a lot of time here researching and reading through the threads. You all really re-shaped my thinking/priorities while ring shopping! So thank you for all my acquired knowledge, and I hope you enjoy. First, a little background...

My original engagement ring is an antique filigree ring from the 1920s, 18K white gold with a 1 ct. ruby. Although I love that ring, and of course still have it, the filigree just couldn't take the everyday wear and tear. After having the band built up twice, and feeling nervous wearing it, I retired that ring for everyday, and wear it occasionally.

Enter the next ring, which was a Costco halo ring, with a .75 emerald cut center, with a double halo set in platinum. This was my ring for several years.....yes, it was nice, but there was nothing sentimental or special about it. Both DH and I felt that we would eventually replace this ring with something custom and more my style. I'm keeping this ring to wear to events where I might not want to wear my new ring (due to area, type of event, etc.).

So onto today's reveal, which is my new baby, and I LOVE her!!! My DH wanted to complete a new ring for our 23rd anniversary, so I started looking extensively. I wanted to do a custom ring, and knew I wanted an emerald cut. I have done quite a bit of research over the past few years, and finally felt ready to take the plunge. It was huge bonus that Brian Gavin (hello, legendary cutter!) had recently introduced his line of BGD Signature Emerald cuts. I knew that if the diamond met Brian Gavin's standards, I'd get the sparkle and ideal cut I was looking for. I chose one of his 810 platinum settings, customized to my specs and the emerald cut diamond I wanted. After about 5 weeks, the ring finally arrived this morning, and I'm so pleased. BGD was flawless from start to finish, and I appreciate the level of detail. Brian wasn't happy with the first version of my custom ring, so he remade the ring completely a second time before it was sent to me.

Thanks for letting me share! I've enjoyed looking at all your amazing sparklers, and reading your process/stories.

Custom 810 platinum setting with BGD Signature Hearts & Arrows melee, with BGD Signature Emerald Cut center stone of 1.9 cts., color H, clarity VVS2, eyeclean, AGS Ideal light performance and cut rating.
For reference, I wear a size 5.75, but this ring is a 6.0, since it gets VERY hot where I live, and there will inevitably be days that your fingers swell a little.

First, the final images sent by BGD when the ring was completed and shipped:
BrianGavin_810_JJones6b_091818.jpg BrianGavin_810_JJones5b_091818.jpg BrianGavin_810_JJones3b_091818.jpg

Now, a few hand shots both indoor and outdoor (excuse the fact that it's a bit cloudy and grey today...unusual where I live!) I had such a hard time capturing the detail of the ring, because of that SPARKLE! If that's a "problem", I'll happily take it! :love:

image1.jpg image2.jpg image3.jpg image4.jpg image5.jpg

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What was your inspiration? I've never seen an Emerald Cut set that way.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
Wow looks amazing! Great to see another BGD 810 collection setting! I didn't know he could other stone shapes in his 810 halos... I thought that collection was round/brilliant only!

The emerald cut with the custom melee/beads looks awesome, and the custom shaped quatrefoil accent looks amazing. I really like his finishing touch of the hidden gem too :)

stylistbydesign

Rough_Rock
What was your inspiration? I've never seen an Emerald Cut set that way.
I am particularly drawn to Art Deco era and vintage rings, and wanted something *like* that, but with modern flair and strong lines. I was drawn to the 810 collection of settings at BGD (and BGD told me that "modern take on Art Deco" is how the 810 line is described), but wanted a very specific north-south orientation, and knew I wanted an EC diamond. My hands are small, but my fingers are also short, so north-south orientation is just my preference because it's more flattering on my finger. I also didn't know if BGD had ever made that specific 810 setting for an emerald cut before. Turns out, they hadn't, and it was custom order, because the setting had to be basically re-made for the EC shape. I also wanted a thinner band, because I don't like wearing chunky bands. I particularly like the juxtaposition of strong shapes together, and mixing hard and softer edges. This was the result. I actually didn't tell BG that I wanted an oval specifically (I just described what I liked, and how the ring should feel), but that was EXACTLY what I'd pictured in my head....and that's exactly what was made for me. I think this ring makes a strong, yet feminine statement, which is just what I like! :)

stylistbydesign

Rough_Rock
Oh I LOVE this!! So unique and such great presence!!
Thanks so much, @ILikeShiny! I love how different this ring is from anything else I looked at! DH says it's *very* unusual, just like me.....which I'm choosing to take as a compliment. Hahaha! Pretty sure he likes me after 23 years of marriage. ;-)

Wow looks amazing! Great to see another BGD 810 collection setting! I didn't know he could other stone shapes in his 810 halos... I thought that collection was round/brilliant only!

The emerald cut with the custom melee/beads looks awesome, and the custom shaped quatrefoil accent looks amazing. I really like his finishing touch of the hidden gem too :)
Thank you, @holeydonut! I followed your process very closely, and with great interest, since you decided to work with BGD as well. I love how your 810 setting turned out as well, and your hidden ruby, too.....wish I'd thought to ask for a specific hidden stone! I didn't know if the 810 setting could be customized for other cuts, but figured I'd ask. I'm a bit of a rule-breaker. :D

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bravo!! Way to think outside the box!!! It looks amazing & so well executed!! Congrats on a BGD Signature EC!! So gorgeous!!! :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, @MissGotRocks! I think I just sat and admired the ring for a good hour after it came home with me. Hehehe. I'm easily distracted by sparkle!

That's just wonderful and the way it should be!! If you're not totally wowed it wouldn't have been worth the effort! Enjoy every sparkle!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well isn’t this a lovely way to make an entrance! Thank you for sharing your story and beautiful new ring with us. BGD did a marvellous job creating your ring and it looks beautiful on you. Congrats on your 23rd year anniversary!

stylistbydesign

Rough_Rock
Well isn’t this a lovely way to make an entrance! Thank you for sharing your story and beautiful new ring with us. BGD did a marvellous job creating your ring and it looks beautiful on you. Congrats on your 23rd year anniversary!
Thank you, @SimoneDi!:love::love::love: I am very blessed in my marriage....and it doesn't feel like it's been 23 years AT ALL. I loved the process of creating the ring, and I LOVE the results. Most of all, I really appreciate how much this ring represents!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and I love what it represents. :kiss2: Wishing you many many more years of wedded bliss and blingy gifts.:appl:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This turned out beautifully!! :love: Stunning center and a beautiful ring overall! Congratulations and happy anniversary! :appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely one of a kind & It's so unusual & eyecatching! The detail is amazing - congratulations on your Anniversary!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bea-U-tiful!!! Your stone is gorgeous! I love the design and uniqueness that is one of a kind. BGD did a great job! I love your story, happy anniversary and stick around here! :wavey:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So unique and the quality looks unsurpassed! How does the BGD EC compare with the Costco EC? I know we PS'ers would love to see a comparison shot of the two rings. Happy Anniversary!

stylistbydesign

Rough_Rock
Beautiful stone and such a distinctive and personal ring. Congratulations on a stunningly well executed piece.
Thank you, @LLJsmom! I was in great hands with BGD!

Beautiful ring and I love what it represents. :kiss2: Wishing you many many more years of wedded bliss and blingy gifts.:appl:
Thanks so much for your sweet words, @missy! :love: I'm looking forward to PS expanding my horizons on "blingy gifts"!

This ring is gorgeous and so unique!! I love it!
Thank you, @Mcgregor! I know I won't see this ring on anyone else, and the fact that it's mine in every way is probably my favorite part of all this.

This turned out beautifully!! :love: Stunning center and a beautiful ring overall! Congratulations and happy anniversary! :appl:
Thanks, @ac117! I think we're keeping each other after 23 years.:P2

This is unique and stunning. Absolutely love it - congratulations, @stylistbydesign!
Thank you so much, @mrs-b! I'm in love with how this ring turned out.....such a great experience.

Definitely one of a kind & It's so unusual & eyecatching! The detail is amazing - congratulations on your Anniversary!
Thank you for the kind words, @Alex T! :) Thank you for the anniversary wishes....it doesn't FEEL like 23 years at all!

Bea-U-tiful!!! Your stone is gorgeous! I love the design and uniqueness that is one of a kind. BGD did a great job! I love your story, happy anniversary and stick around here! :wavey:
Thank you, @Bonfire! I agree, BGD did an amazing job that's like nothing else I've seen. I'm keeping the ring and DH! I fully plan to stick around....I'll be waving "hi" from Ban Island for a little while after this purchase!:lol-2::wavey:

stylistbydesign

Rough_Rock
So unique and the quality looks unsurpassed! How does the BGD EC compare with the Costco EC? I know we PS'ers would love to see a comparison shot of the two rings. Happy Anniversary!
Thank you, @lambskin! I took a side-by-side shot for you. :) In real life, there is simply no comparison! The BGD EC just flashes and sparkles like nobody's business. The Costco ring was fine for the price, but it's just not on the same level as the BGD. Costco has vastly expanded their jewelry dealings in the last few years. I bought the Costco ring about 11 years ago--center EC is .75 ct., color I, clarity SI1--for about $1700. They're selling basically the same ring, with a slight downgrade in color and clarity (color J, clarity SI2), at Costcos nationwide now for $3500. I enjoyed wearing it, and didn't worry too much losing, damaging, banging, etc. That said, the Costco EC is just not even in the league of the BGD EC. I did look at some current larger (2.0 ct) Costco ECs just for comparison, but they did not compare in cut at all, and had very run-of-the-mill styling, which wasn't what I wanted. It's insane that you can have a custom ring from BGD, with a BGD signature cut stone, for about the same price as a standard setting, okay-ish cut stone from Costco!
image1-1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results