shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me analyze this IdealScope image

areorui

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, thanks so much for your help with my diamond research. You guys are great. I am going to decide on a stone in the next day or so, and I need your help looking at this IS image.
4812413.jpg
Here are its stats:
Weight: 2.13 ct
Color: J
Clarity: VVS2
Cut: Triple-Ex, HCA score 1.4
Depth: 62.60
Table: 56.00
Crown angle: 35.5
Pavilion angle: 40.60
Fluorescence: medium blue, it did not look milky/hazy in person indoors
Lab: GIA

The stone looks great in person, arrows are visible to naked eye, good brilliance and fire. However, I haven't seen that many great diamonds in person and every time it's in different lighting, so it's hard to really tell. Here are some pictures in case it helps:
w213 4812413 topview.png
w213 4812413 sideview.png
upload_2018-5-24_21-15-7.png
upload_2018-5-24_21-15-40.png

What do you think of this diamond?
Do you think I should be concerned about the medium blue fluorescence?
Is there anything else I need to look at to evaluate this diamond better?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tiny bit of partial leakage in the Ideal-scope image indicating some facet angle variance, but not enough to worry me.
The medium blue will help apparent color in many stronger lighting situations.

areorui

Rough_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) @rockysalamander @blueMA Thanks again for all your help!
I pulled the trigger on this stone and just received it. Do you see anything that I should worry about?

Outdoor shots in the sun
4812413 - outside on holder.jpg
4812413 - outside between fingers.jpg

Indoor shots with diffused light from windows
4812413 - indoors near window in holder.jpg 4812413 - indoors with indoor lighting.jpg 4812413 - indoors near window.jpg 4812413 - indoors with indoor lighting between fingers.jpg

Thanks in advance!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, what camera did you use for these photos? These are some of the best diamond photographs I've seen from a first time poster! The diamond looks crystal clear and you can see the facets distinctly.

Usually new posters put up a few blurry cell phone pics and ask "How does this look?" haha

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I really like how it looks under the sun in the first shot. I don't think there's any worry of it looking hazy due to its fluorescence. You did great!

areorui

Rough_Rock
Also, what camera did you use for these photos? These are some of the best diamond photographs I've seen from a first time poster! The diamond looks crystal clear and you can see the facets distinctly.

Usually new posters put up a few blurry cell phone pics and ask "How does this look?" haha

Thanks, @TreeScientist ! I used an iPhone X. It took a few tries to get the camera to focus on the diamond.

areorui

Rough_Rock
I really like how it looks under the sun in the first shot. I don't think there's any worry of it looking hazy due to its fluorescence. You did great!

Awesome. It's great to hear that :)

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @TreeScientist ! I used an iPhone X. It took a few tries to get the camera to focus on the diamond.

I was thinking that, if these were indeed taken with a cellphone, it must be an IPhone X.

My girlfriend has an IPhone X and, quite frankly, I'm simply astonished by the quality of photos that it consistently produces. I have a Sony RX100 II that I purchased about 5 years ago, and at the time it blew cell phone cameras out of the water. But comparing photos that I take with the RX100 to photos with her IPhone X... I really cannot tell the difference. It's getting to the point with top-end smartphone cameras that I cannot see any reason to invest in a separate camera unless you're some sort of professional photographer, in which case you would be looking at a few grand for the DSLR body and then $10k+ on quality lenses.

Yes, the IPhone X is expensive, but if it replaces a $1000+ camera AND it can send text messages, check e-mail, and make calls... Well then it starts to seem like a hell of a deal. :)

Looks like we'll be taking photos of her ring using her IPhone X after the proposal. :D

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking that, if these were indeed taken with a cellphone, it must be an IPhone X.

My girlfriend has an IPhone X and, quite frankly, I'm simply astonished by the quality of photos that it consistently produces. I have a Sony RX100 II that I purchased about 5 years ago, and at the time it blew cell phone cameras out of the water. But comparing photos that I take with the RX100 to photos with her IPhone X... I really cannot tell the difference. It's getting to the point with top-end smartphone cameras that I cannot see any reason to invest in a separate camera unless you're some sort of professional photographer, in which case you would be looking at a few grand for the DSLR body and then $10k+ on quality lenses.

Yes, the IPhone X is expensive, but if it replaces a $1000+ camera AND it can send text messages, check e-mail, and make calls... Well then it starts to seem like a hell of a deal. :)

Looks like we'll be taking photos of her ring using her IPhone X after the proposal. :D

I have an iPhone 6s Plus and I haven't bothered to use my full frame Canon 5D for diamond shots, and all of my photos have been with the iPhone so far on this site. However, there's no way a phone cam will beat a great DSLR with professional lens for nature shots or human portraits... perhaps in the future but not anytime soon...

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an iPhone 6s Plus and I haven't bothered to use my full frame Canon 5D for diamond shots, and all of my photos have been with the iPhone so far on this site. However, there's no way a phone cam will beat a great DSLR with professional lens for nature shots or human portraits... perhaps in the future but not anytime soon...

Agreed. There's quite a difference in the DOF that a small-sensored cellphone camera simply cannot replicate, although the tricks that the top-end cell-phone producers are creating with a combination of dual-lenses and crafty algorithms is rather astounding.

...But as the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you. I know myself, and there is no way in hell I would lug around a DSLR. There's no way in hell I would lug around anything larger than the RX100, and even then I sometimes find myself thinking "Do I REALLY need to bring this today?"

The fact that you can get shots that look comparable to what a DSLR produces (again, not the same, but you've gotta admit that it's pretty darn close now) from a devise that fits in your pocket... and that serves other functions too... and that you would likely carry on you anyway... and that costs under $1k...

...Yeah, I'm a cell-phone camera convert now. Maybe I can ask my girlfriend for a fancy cell-phone as a wedding present :D (I have a very old smartphone now). Or I can just keep stealing hers for photos. :mrgreen:

And there's really no comparing the 6s to the X. My girlfriend had a 6 before the X, and the difference in picture quality is night and day. Not that the 6 was any slouch, but when we compared pictures taken with both side by side, I was pretty shocked.

Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
and there is no way in hell I would lug around a DSLR.
Yep, once I had my DSLR cam gear along with my 5 R lens all packed on my flight over to a wedding and I was going to do a favor to take some shots for the bride who is a friend of my husband. I went through the airport security check and got on the plane with our multi-suitcases, and as soon as the plane started moving, I realized I didn't have my cam gear on the plane with me! Imagine the horror. I somehow left the thing at the security x-ray check. I called the airport security and they found and held my gear for me until we returned back from the wedding. I just don't bother to carry around the very heavy gear anymore unless I'm out purposely for great shots. Love my iPhone for the convenience otherwise, and I even got some macro lens for it.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yep, once I had my DSLR cam gear along with my 5 R lens all packed on my flight over to a wedding and I was going to do a favor to take some shots for the bride who is a friend of my husband. I went through the airport security check and got on the plane with our multi-suitcases, and as soon as the plane started moving, I realized I didn't have my cam gear on the plane with me! Imagine the horror. I somehow left the thing at the security x-ray check. I called the airport security and they found and held my gear for me until we returned back from the wedding. I just don't bother to carry around the very heavy gear anymore unless I'm out purposely for great shots. Love my iPhone for the convenience otherwise, and I even got some macro lens for it.

Oh god, I bet you were relieved that they found it and held it for you. If I had a dollar for every time I left that RX100 somewhere and had to run back and grab it...

Definitely another reason I prefer cell-phone cameras. If something is not on my person or in my backpack, then there's a high chance I'm going to have a lapse of memory and leave it somewhere. The fact that my cell-phone is always in my pocket is a huge bonus over a separate camera.

...I blame "absentminded scientist syndrome" and carry everything important on my person or in my backpack at all times now. The backpack is the one thing I won't forget. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results