shape
carat
color
clarity

My Chihuahua Mix is Terrified....

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Honey is terrified...of something. She is positively trembling while walking around the house and bolts out into the backyard any chance she gets. There, she will hide behind the shed or in tall bushes even if it is very cold outside. This tells me she isn’t cold.

We thought she was afraid of my son’s new shoes because they squeak across the hardwood every once in a while, but as I am sitting with her right now, with my son at school, she’s shaking like a leaf!

I just feel so bad for her. Sometimes I can get her to fall asleep on an electric blanket, but most of the time, she needs to sit outside and work it out. :(sad I feel bad for her out there too because it can be cold!

Has anyone dealt with this? Advice is welcome. Thank you.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if a Thundershirt would help?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww I am sorry House Cat. How long has this been going on? Could she be suffering from anxiety?

I would bring her to the veterinarian to rule out medical issues. It's so hard because our furry babies cannot verbalize what is happening but definitely it needs to be figured out and resolved so she can start feeling better. Sending her and you (((Hugs))).

https://tobysbone.com/dog-suddenly-scared-of-something-in-house/

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww I am sorry House Cat. How long has this been going on? Could she be suffering from anxiety?

I would bring her to the veterinarian to rule out medical issues. It's so hard because our furry babies cannot verbalize what is happening but definitely it needs to be figured out and resolved so she can start feeling better. Sending her and you (((Hugs))).

https://tobysbone.com/dog-suddenly-scared-of-something-in-house/
I guess that is the next stop..

She’s been doing this since we moved to this house, two years. She doesn’t like the beeping of the toaster or the carbon monoxide detector. We knew this, but now, it seems there is something new.

I wish I could make her feel confident. If possible, then these fears wouldn’t be an issue.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don’t have a thunder shirt for her do you have a sweater? If it’s snug it would probably work the same way. Will she let you hold her? I’m sorry House Cat. It must be so hard to see her like this. I’d call her vet and see if you could give her something to help calm her down. It sounds like she is having a panic attack.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess that is the next stop..

She’s been doing this since we moved to this house, two years. She doesn’t like the beeping of the toaster or the carbon monoxide detector. We knew this, but now, it seems there is something new.

I wish I could make her feel confident. If possible, then these fears wouldn’t be an issue.

It does sound like anxiety or something like that. She's had vet visits in the past 2 years I am guessing and so I guess checking her out medically and if that is A OK maybe consider a behavioral veterinarian? I mean I don't have any knowledge about that field but I am thinking it might be able to help if anxiety or a similar psychiatric condition is her issue. Again I am so sorry and I hope she can find relief from this debilitating condition.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Housecat, any new smells in the house, oil deffuser, incense, perfume anything. I have one who acts fearless most of the time she's tiny but she goes around thinking and acting like she's a lion lol, but if she smells the faintest smell of smoke could be toast that's just a little over done , not burnt she goes into total freak out mode. My 6 also hate beeping sounds. Good luck hope this get all sorted out soon.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Housecat, any new smells in the house, oil deffuser, incense, perfume anything. I have one who acts fearless most of the time she's tiny but she goes around thinking and acting like she's a lion lol, but if she smells the faintest smell of smoke could be toast that's just a little over done , not burnt she goes into total freak out mode. My 6 also hate beeping sounds. Good luck hope this get all sorted out soon.
Oh yes! New hand soaps, new candles...new diffusers....the whole enchilada! I am going to bag it all up and put it in the garage and see what happens.

That is funny, my girl owns the place too...until the toaster beeps!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My toy poodle does this sometimes. I have not been able to figure it out, either. Thankfully, it's not a regular occurrence for her. I hope you can figure it out. I agree, a visit to the vet wouldn't hurt (except you wallet, maybe!) I hope she's feeling better, soon.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you tried one of the plug-in dog pheromone kits? Our Cavalier doesn’t like being own his own for very long at all or big changes in routine, so we use one on weeks when I know I’ll be in and out a lot more than normal. They’re supposed to have a calming effect and maybe it would take the edge off whatever is upsetting her?

I hope you find out the cause and something to mitigate it - poor thing!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you had her checked out at the vet? It sounds like anxiety, but chi's are also prone to hypoglycemia. What about giving her a sibling? I have 3 chihuahuas. You can't stop at just one. :P2

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you had her checked out at the vet? It sounds like anxiety, but chi's are also prone to hypoglycemia. What about giving her a sibling? I have 3 chihuahuas. You can't stop at just one. :P2
I am definitely taking her in this week. I feed her at night but she always leaves some in the bowl and she munches on that throughout the day. She has a big sister who is a shepherd/border collie. I know what you are saying though, I love this breed so much. Honey is the sweetest dog I’ve ever owned.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes! New hand soaps, new candles...new diffusers....the whole enchilada! I am going to bag it all up and put it in the garage and see what happens.

That is funny, my girl owns the place too...until the toaster beeps!

Oils from diffusers can be very bad for animals. Cats especially but even dogs. Some will even kill them. Check into those carefully as something like that maybe bothering her.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww, that is so sad. It would be hard for me not being to figure out what it is. I would guess it is a smell or a weird noise that she can hear but you can't. I hope you can figure it out and there are no medical issues.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried alprazolam?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3BB6957A-4E0E-4158-9587-623C3D0A8531.jpeg
@House Cat, Is Honey feeling better today?
Thanks for asking Callie.:kiss2:
She is the same. The sun was out, so I let her lay outside to her heart’s content. There is definitely something in the house that is scaring her because she is mellow and happy in the backyard and the moment she crosses the threshold into the house, she begins shaking. I really want to find out what it is.

I called the vet but left a message. I’m going to call again in an hour.

(That’s her nervous face)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's so sweet!! We have a white long hair, Casper. He is quite the opposite of Honey. He's completely fearless, unlike the other two. I hope you can find out what is bugging her. Maybe something is making a high pitched sound you can't hear? Or something scared her one time and she can't move on. I know they get spooked sometimes, even with just seeing lights.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honey is beautiful @House Cat . Her sweet little face is adorable. Like Lyra, I also wondered if something scared her. Something fell near my furbaby and it startled her to the point she would not go anywhere near the spot for over a year.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Oh look at that sweet face! You mentioned that this is a new house, could it be she still needs time to adjust? Does she still have her old stuff there with her? Bed, blankets, toys? Or is everything new and she just feels like hey what happened so it doesn't feel like "Home" to her. Hopefully the vet will have answers for you.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my heart goes out to her!
I have two chis and one is a basket case half the time. He doesn't like walking on uncarpeted floors.
I would recommend a low dose anti anxiety medication. She is obviously suffering terribly.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@House Cat - This may sound odd but have you got down to Honey's level and looked around to see what she sees, especially when entering the house? Our first poodle started exhibiting anxiety after we got our new refrigerator at our first house. She would shake and avoid the kitchen. If she did come in she would make a wide berth avoiding the fridge and be looking at it nervously over her shoulder. Finally I got down on all fours to have a look around. The vent at the bottom of the refrigerator looked like a giant mouth with teeth. We moved from that house a few months later so I didn't have to worry about it but at least I knew the cause. On the street of our new house we had storm sewer drain covers that caused the same anxiety. Even I admit they look like a giant mouth with teeth. She eventually got used to them but it took years.

Alternatively, do you think Honey is losing her hearing? Noises can be amplified and sound like they are coming from a different place. The beeping of anything electronic may be confusing her.

Honey is a sweetie. I am glad you are taking her to the vet to be checked. It's hard when our furbabies are distressed and we don't know why.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is so much good advice on this thread. Thank you so much everyone. I’m going to methodically go through everyone’s suggestions today and try to eliminate every threat or trigger. You all have given me suggestions that I wouldn’t have considered, which is why this place is so great. Thank you!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat, I’m glad she posted today about Honey. I hope she begins feeling back to normal soon and the vet can shed some light on what could be causing her to be so anxious.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Poor, sweet baby! I hope you can get to the root of it so she can be comfortable in her home.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may be helpful to see if your vet will make a house call Once health issues are ruled out.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@House Cat , How is Honey feeling today?
Well, she is happy as a clam in the 75 degree heat!

I went through the house and bought my son a new pair of shoes...forbidding him from wearing the squeaky shoes. I ordered her a new warm sweater, in case she was cold. I don’t think this is the case, but i am trying everything. When she goes to the vet, if nothing is wrong with her, I guess I will ask for some sort of benzodiazepine because her anxiety is making my anxiety worse.

Then i wondered if my emotions were making her this way. I know it sounds crazy but I once read that poodles can become very connected to their owners to the point to where they almost seem psychic. If their owners are neurotic, the dog will suffer. Well I’m naturally anxious and have been having a hard time...this is a very emotional, in tune dog. We are going away for the weekend and she will be staying with her FAVORITE person, my son’s girlfriend. We will see if her behavior changes at all. If she is super mellow, maybe we know what her trigger is. Because truthfully, I’m making everyone anxious. . Maybe that’s more info than anybody wanted.

She came in from the sun and feel asleep next to me. I keep thinking about what you’ve said about your dog being spooked for a year. These poor babies!! I’ve only had labs, Goldens, big dogs, this is new territory...but i know anxiety..i think “what would i need if I felt this way” and I give it to her. We hide under the electric blanket or we garden together..LOL!:lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results