shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Needed: first time buying a watch and it will be a gift

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm planning to buy my fiance a watch as his wedding day present and wanted to get suggestions from the PS community.

He likes big faced watches. He currently has a Tag, two Omega watches, an IWC and another one I forget. My budget for the watch is $10k, could go up to $12k, but happier to get something under that.

I was thinking of a Rolex since he does not have one yet and it would be a significant gift to think that his first Rolex would come from me. If i were to buy without research, I will go by the look. All I know about what he wants, if it were a Rolex, is that it should look like a classic Rolex (the one with the links looking Rolex-y). To be honest, I don't know how that looks because it's just not my things and I never minded watches. Also, i guess he wants to see the date on the watch too? I guess it would be good to get a piece that isn't too trendy so he can wear it for many many eons of years to come.

Thank you.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would heartily suggest a Rolex DateJust 41. They are available in may dial styles and have the new 3255 movement. With proper maintenance they will last a very long time. You really can't go wrong. Check out Rolex's site where they show many of the styles. Rolex sport models will be quite scarce (on allocation) henceforth, but the supply of DJ's is good.

Here is mine. The MOP diamond dial adds a few K to the cost, but there are many choices. You can also go with smooth or fluted bezel, Oyster or jubilee bracelet.

standard.jpg

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Let me add: Rolex has posted its new releases at Basel today. Do not get hung up in waiting for the 3235 movement over the 3135 if you go with a DJ 36mm. New releases take months to hit the AD's and there are millions of 3135's out there which run superbly and will be serviceable for decades to come.

There is a lot of hype in the watch community of course. People will trade kidneys to get the latest artificially scarce Rolex. Get what you like and you will be happy! Works for me...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me add: Rolex has posted its new releases at Basel today. Do not get hung up in waiting for the 3235 movement over the 3135 if you go with a DJ 36mm. New releases take months to hit the AD's and there are millions of 3135's out there which run superbly and will be serviceable for decades to come.

There is a lot of hype in the watch community of course. People will trade kidneys to get the latest artificially scarce Rolex. Get what you like and you will be happy! Works for me...
Wise words!!

Taste in watches is very persona! - it may be as risky as buying a ring for a lady without asking / researching first!

Can you post a pic of his collection / links to online pics of each by other people/sites?
Can you go 'jewellery shopping' and say "why don't you look at the watches, dear, I'm going to be a while" ;-) then quiz him / the sales assistant helping him to see which he liked most?

For me, the larger (39 or 40mm?) new Explorer 1 is a classic in a modern size - they are understated yet spotted by those who look, not blingy, and somehow look 'right' whether dressed up in a suit or kicking around in jeans and a tatty t-shirt. They are also considerably cheaper than Daytonas, Submariners, etc.!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm planning to buy my fiance a watch as his wedding day present and wanted to get suggestions from the PS community.

Taste in watches is very persona! - it may be as risky as buying a ring for a lady without asking / researching first!

Yes this is so true. My dh is a watch aficionado and when we were dating I made the mistake of purchasing him a gorgeous watch that I thought he would love. Nope. Buying watches is as personal as buying diamonds. Taste varies and it's an expensive purchase so don't get one without asking your SO to weigh in IMO. Unless you can easily exchange it.

Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.:appl:

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I bought my husband a Rolex from the year he was born and even though he’s a bit of a watch guy, he appreciates that the style was different than his usual for a special reason. It was also very, very modestly priced so not a huge risk (although, happily, he really likes it).

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your gift idea is wonderful, nothing like a significant piece that he will remember as the years go by. My hubby DID in fact surprise me out of the blue with my first Ladies Date-just years ago, I absolutely loved it. The watch hubby picked out, was at that time--almost 10-15 years ago, the standard ladies Rolex: 2 tone, fluted bezel, white face with diamond markers. I'll never sell it.

Today, no way-no how, would I let him pick out my watch But I do wonder, maybe he could perhaps be involved as its such a personal item. There are so many different Rolex styles & configurations for men. Maybe he probably already has an idea of what he'd prefer?? I'd probably try to sleuth a bit & see if you could figure out his 'wants' in that regard! Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A agree on the DateJust as a great choice. I gave my DH a DJ41 with the dark rhodium diamond dial and it’s spectacular.

If he’d want a classic, then the jubilee band with the fluted bezel is the way to go. The only question is what color of dial. Perhaps arrange the purchase and give him a note that it’s ready to go and all you need is a color?

Btw, if you decide on Rolex, dealers are notorious for not negotiating prices but I have a great contact. Tag me in a post and we can figure out how to get you the info.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My most recent watch purchase was this Rolex SS SkyDweller annual calendar. They make a blue dial which is very hard to find, and a black as well as the white. I found the white to be quite elegant. I wear it sparingly but it is a great piece!

standard.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask him to make a Pinterest page of watches he loves.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
Took a while to return here and revert -- wedding planning and life happenings have taken over. Thank you for the great suggestions. My DF (Dear Fiancee is that even used) is not very social media-ish and has no pinterest. I doubt I could get him to do a pinterest.

I was planning on walking into an actual Rolex store and choose a few, take pictures on my wrist, and pretend my brother is asking me to scope the Rolex choices here (my brother lives outside the US).

Other than that, pricing is my next question ...

Btw, if you decide on Rolex, dealers are notorious for not negotiating prices but I have a great contact. Tag me in a post and we can figure out how to get you the info.

@ILikeShiny thanks for this offer. Do you mean to say that the same watch can be purchased from a rolex store or an authorized dealer, at a different price? I somehow assumed buying a Rolex is like getting Tiffany jewelry -- the price will be the same wherever it might be. Do you have any advice where to get the best deal then? We are in NYC.

Thank you :kiss2:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny thanks for this offer. Do you mean to say that the same watch can be purchased from a rolex store or an authorized dealer, at a different price? I somehow assumed buying a Rolex is like getting Tiffany jewelry -- the price will be the same wherever it might be. Do you have any advice where to get the best deal then? We are in NYC.

Thank you :kiss2:
Correct. He sells many kinds of watches and has established connections with dealers, so he gets them for a better price (when possible) and passes it on to his customer. There are certain models that have no wiggle room, and others that are going for above MSRP, but for what you’re looking for I don’t think that should be an issue.

I’ve bought four through him and know dozens of others who have done the same. He’s an honest guy.

If you’d like his info let me know and I’ll put my contact info on loupe troop for you.

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
Firstly, there is a certain superstition re: gifting of watches. If you're Asian then it would be worthwhile looking that up. There are workarounds and for most people that is a non-issue.

A Rolex is a fantastic choice. It is one of those classic watches that will generally hold it's value, not that one should ever sell a wedding gift. There are a number of forums that specifically discuss watches. Firstly, decide do you want a dress watch (e.g. Day-Date or DateJust) or a sports watch (Submariner, GMT)

It depends also what other watches your intended has.

You really can't go wrong with either. I personally love the Submariner which can be worn with anything, from a James Bond suit to a pair of board shorts to the beach.

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Firstly, there is a certain superstition re: gifting of watches. If you're Asian then it would be worthwhile looking that up. There are workarounds and for most people that is a non-issue.

A Rolex is a fantastic choice. It is one of those classic watches that will generally hold it's value, not that one should ever sell a wedding gift. There are a number of forums that specifically discuss watches. Firstly, decide do you want a dress watch (e.g. Day-Date or DateJust) or a sports watch (Submariner, GMT)

It depends also what other watches your intended has.

You really can't go wrong with either. I personally love the Submariner which can be worn with anything, from a James Bond suit to a pair of board shorts to the beach.

My DF has a selection of leather and metal watches (okay i'm really not a watch person, so i don't know if you call them metal).

The more I fake-discuss (under pretentious situations) with my DF, I keep hearing him say oyster, perpetual, one where you see the date, classic rolex links on the band... did any of that make sense???

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DF has a selection of leather and metal watches (okay i'm really not a watch person, so i don't know if you call them metal).

The more I fake-discuss (under pretentious situations) with my DF, I keep hearing him say oyster, perpetual, one where you see the date, classic rolex links on the band... did any of that make sense???
Yep! Oyster Perpetual is a model/style. They make a few options with a date (ie:DateJust) so just browse the Rolex website. The “classic links” means he likes the jubilee band. Given that he’s chosen a classic model, my guess would be he’d want a fluted bezel too.

Next up is the color he’d want and type of metal?!

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yep! Oyster Perpetual is a model/style. They make a few options with a date (ie:DateJust) so just browse the Rolex website. The “classic links” means he likes the jubilee band. Given that he’s chosen a classic model, my guess would be he’d want a fluted bezel too.

Next up is the color he’d want and type of metal?!

You did the math for me. Honestly, i must look like a total ditz when DF is talking to me about this. The information just goes one ear and out the other. It's like cars. When he talks about cars and watches i just drift away, I don't know why. I really want to be interested but i can't. Thank God we have other shared interests.

So i went to the Rolex site, and had to keep switching pages to your post so I know what to find...an Oyster Perpetual, i clicked on the 39 one (i'm assuming that's the size and i know he likes the big sizes), but could not find one that has the date! or how to spot the jubilee band or what a fluted bezel is. anyway let me try to read through it and go to a store maybe someone can educate me about this.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did the math for me. Honestly, i must look like a total ditz when DF is talking to me about this. The information just goes one ear and out the other. It's like cars. When he talks about cars and watches i just drift away, I don't know why. I really want to be interested but i can't. Thank God we have other shared interests.

So i went to the Rolex site, and had to keep switching pages to your post so I know what to find...an Oyster Perpetual, i clicked on the 39 one (i'm assuming that's the size and i know he likes the big sizes), but could not find one that has the date! or how to spot the jubilee band or what a fluted bezel is. anyway let me try to read through it and go to a store maybe someone can educate me about this.
Go here - https://m.rolex.com/watches/datejust.html

Then filter by size (large), bracelet style (jubilee), and bezel style (fluted). Those are your DateJust choices :mrgreen2:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^Thank you @ILikeShiny =) FOUND THEM finally.. Sending you a PM for your dealer = )
No PM function on the forum. I'll set up a listing on LoupeTroop for you with my contact info :)

Done. Email is shown under the listing's "description"

Last edited:

Hephephippo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
^OOOH thanks!!

faz

Rough_Rock
OP,
I came here a while ago and got fantastic advice from forum members on diamond earings for my wife, and now that I am looking to get an upgraded ring for her, I came back to research that, and just happened to come across this thread. I am kind of a WIS (term used for 'watch person') and am extremely familiar with Rolexes.

If your DF is on the sporty side, not wearing suits and ties most of the time, then I highly suggest you get him a Rolex Submariner Date (model number 116610LN) with black face and black bezel (the round circular ring around the dial on the outside of the watch.) That is the iconic 40mm Rolex model that all watch enthusiasts love and will cherish forever. If he travels a lot and can use two time zones, the GMT Master II is very similar in size/shape/price to Sub and is a great first Rolex as well.

Datejust models, as lovely and versatile and 'jewelry like' as they are, are not as popular in the WIS world as the professional models (Submariner, GMT, Sea-Dweller, Yachtmaster, Explorer, etc.) and do take a hit if your DF decides to change to another model. But professional models do hold their value and are easier to trade. By the way the reference to oyster peepetual is the case for all Rolex watches, and you can see it written on the dial of them all. That is the term Rolex uses to describe its watch case. However, there is indeed an Oyster Perpetual model (39mm width)

The problem is, currently the supply of Rolex professional watches in Stainless Steel (your price point) is very limited, so you will be extremely lucky if you find one in your local authorized dealers. The dealers will usually have a selection of Datejusts (in your price range) and gold or two-tone professional models (above your price range). For a precious metal model, you should be able to negotiate 20% or perhaps a bit more discount from your local AD. For datejusts, 10% should be achievable easily. For a SS professional model, there is absolutely 0% chance of getting a discount so if you end up getting any, well, you are very lucky.

My recommendation: stick to Submariner if it is a surprise gift. There are a few trusted dealers online that you can deal with, and I know a few that I can recommend (however I am new in this forum and don't want to break any forum rules so won't list any here.) But, as his first rolex, and a wedding gift at that, I *highly* recommend buying from your local AD and forming a relationship with the store. This being a mechanical watch, is a bit different than a stone or a stud or a ring.

Hope this helps.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What omegas does he have? Reason why I ask is because If he has something like a Planet Ocean, it’s too similar to a Submariner to get that

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results