shape
carat
color
clarity

Any chance it is Natural Alexandrite

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure if this is the good opportunity to ask this question - I read somewhere on the internet,
that there is a proven method (forgot its name) to find out if the stone is natural or not - by taking it close to the eye and looking through the stone at some light source, for ex. regular room lamp, and if you see multiple clear small rainbows (probably according to number of facets), then the stone is natural and not synthetic. I am not sure if this is correct / proven method and if it can be applied to all types of gemstones or not. Sorry again for the dilettante type question.
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Not true. If it was this easy then there would be no need for expensive equipment. Somebody who has seen lots of gemstones can tell you quite a lot from looking at a stone - can even identify if something may have been treated BUT you cannot tell if a gemstone is natural just by holding it up to your eye. What I think you're talking about is whether there's any refraction. This only tells you a tiny bit and not the whole picture.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess looking at the size, colour and clarity is synthetic. You could get lucky and have a really nice tourmaline but generally they have more inclusions than your stone. The few green spinels I've seen don't really look like your stone in colour, size or clarity, they do colour change having said that.

Alex_Paul

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all your replies. I think tourmaline is not likely,because the density is 3.75.
I will try to find some good jeweler or will just risk $70 and send it to a lab.
Thanks again,
Alex

Kai1984

Rough_Rock
What's the difference between a color change chrysoberyl and an Alexandrite? I have a stone that changes color from lime green to brownish purple. I'm guessing that's an chrysoberyl.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the difference between a color change chrysoberyl and an Alexandrite? I have a stone that changes color from lime green to brownish purple. I'm guessing that's an chrysoberyl.

Techically if it colour changes then it's an Alexandrite BUT because it doesn't change with the colourways of a high end Alexandrite, it would be valued in the lower range. It is highly possible that it's composition includes Vanadium which would be responsible for the colour change. I have one exactly like this - and I bought it as a Chrysoberyl and was really surprised when it changed colour. I had to ask the same question as you (to David Weinberg) and that's how I know the answer!!! Chrysoberyl Vanadium montage.jpg

Kai1984

Rough_Rock
Do you know where your stone is from LD, mine is recently cut from rough that originated in Russia.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a note, if it changes from yellow to brown, it is not an alexandrite , but a color shifting chrysoberyl. I've seen deceptive vendors sell color shift chrysoberyl as alexandrite. The color must change from a greenish color to a reddish one.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
Depends on the definition. GIA will certify also a green to brown colorshifting chrysoberyl as Alexandrite.
So a few labs just want so see a relevant colorshift others the fitting colors also. I am with TL for the naming for alexandrite, but in trade it is treatet different as we know.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the definition. GIA will certify also a green to brown colorshifting chrysoberyl as Alexandrite.
So a few labs just want so see a relevant colorshift others the fitting colors also. I am with TL for the naming for alexandrite, but in trade it is treatet different as we know.
Green to brownish red is still alexandrite per the GIA. It should have some red in the color though, albeit there is brown.

https://www.gia.edu/alexandrite-description

The color shifting chrysoberyl I'm talking about above is more like yellow to brown. That's not alexandrite at all by any reputable lab definition. See this link as an example.

https://m.indiamart.com/proddetail.php?i=17553335848

Even if the above was deemed an alexandrite, I would consider it to be a low quality one. You not only want to see good color change, but you don't want pure brown as a colorway in a good stone.

Last edited:

Canuckgemgeek

Rough_Rock
Just thought I would add this to the discussion here, a auction listing for a AGL, and GIA (2008 year dates on both reports) lab graded Celyon Alexandrite, that is 20+CT. Changing from a brownish yellowish great to orangy brown. This one has some slightly noticable inclusions as well. One of the largest I have seen listed in a long while being auctioned by Heritage Auction Galleries. So while they do very, very rarely exist in larger size, this is almost unheard-of. https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/estate-j...5341-22001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks Canuckgemgeek, that is what i ment. I have seen plenty of "Alexandrites" with GIA or even AGL certs, where i couldn´t see any hint of a red color. Most of them really unattractive greenish brown to brownish changes.
I am with TL that this is colorshifting chrysoberyl nothing more, but many labs think different and buyers should beware and test the colorshift. Also interesting gems, but not that rare and attractive as good colorshifting alexandrites.

Cam

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I hope you don’t mind me posting here, but I wanted to direct an alexandrite related question to LD (whose previous posts on alexandrite I have found very helpful and who has, I noticed, contributed to this thread and so might see my query).

I think from some of your previous posts, LD, that you are based in the UK and if you are, I wonder if you can offer me some advice. I have an alexandrite which has been authenticated as natural by AnchorCert Gem Lab in Birmingham, but which I want to get additionally tested by AGL in America. I am, though, anxious about sending the stone from the UK by post in case it gets lost, particularly since I don't have a reliable valuation of its worth for insurance purposes. I wonder, therefore, if you have any experience of sending gemstones or jewellery abroad and which postal methods or courier services you think are the safest and most reliable. I also wonder if you know of any appraisers in the UK who have particular expertise and experience in valuing alexandrite. I appreciate that the stone’s value will depend in part on its origin (and this is one of the reasons for wanting an AGL ‘Prestige Full Grading Report’), but I would like a reputable ballpark valuation before sending the stone away.

Do you have any thoughts or ideas?

Many thanks for your help @LD

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I hope you don’t mind me posting here, but I wanted to direct an alexandrite related question to LD (whose previous posts on alexandrite I have found very helpful and who has, I noticed, contributed to this thread and so might see my query).

I think from some of your previous posts, LD, that you are based in the UK and if you are, I wonder if you can offer me some advice. I have an alexandrite which has been authenticated as natural by AnchorCert Gem Lab in Birmingham, but which I want to get additionally tested by AGL in America. I am, though, anxious about sending the stone from the UK by post in case it gets lost, particularly since I don't have a reliable valuation of its worth for insurance purposes. I wonder, therefore, if you have any experience of sending gemstones or jewellery abroad and which postal methods or courier services you think are the safest and most reliable. I also wonder if you know of any appraisers in the UK who have particular expertise and experience in valuing alexandrite. I appreciate that the stone’s value will depend in part on its origin (and this is one of the reasons for wanting an AGL ‘Prestige Full Grading Report’), but I would like a reputable ballpark valuation before sending the stone away.

Cam: welcome! LD is more likely to see your request if you start a separate thread and specifically call her out, like "Calling LD," or "Question for LD."

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi,

May I ask why you are wanting a second opinion? AGL is my personal favorite lab for colored stones, but a quick look at AnchorCert's website gives the impression that they are a well-established lab.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... I wonder, therefore, if you have any experience of sending gemstones or jewelry abroad and which postal methods or courier services you think are the safest and most reliable. ...

Leibish, that large vendor of Fancy Colored Diamonds, uses https://www.malca-amit.com .

I've had around 25 such transactions using Malca-Amit.
Every shipment was perfect in every way.

Malca-Amit also had a private secure room you can use to open and inspect the shipment.
The room had one of those fancy scales (with a glass door to block air drafts) for weighing gems.

Last edited:

Cam

Rough_Rock
Many thanks for the suggestion, Minousbijoux. if LD doesn't spot the post in the next couple of days, I'll start a new thread.

Cam

Rough_Rock
Hi Shinyrocks,

Thank you for your reply.

AnchorCert is indeed a well established and reputable laboratory – it is linked to the Birmingham Assay Office and is arguably the leading independent gemstone identification lab in the UK. While it can identify country of origin for some coloured gemstones (ruby, emerald and sapphire), it does not, however, offer origin identification for alexandrite. Moreover, its coloured gemstone reports (at least in respect of alexandrite) are concerned only with gemstone identification and do not comment on qualitative characteristics such as colour, clarity or cut, or in the case of Alexandrite, degree and quality of colour change (- which along with size and origin will, I know, affect value). As I understand it, AGL is not only well respected in the identification of alexandrite, it is the only recognised lab to offer an opinion on quality and on origin. I do not doubt the reliability of my AnchorCert report (- and having also paid for laser inscription, hope AGL don’t find it is another ‘False Promise’!!), but think an AGL ‘Prestige Full Grading Report’ report will give me a better idea of my stone’s quality. Together with my AnchorCert report, an AGL report would I hope also be helpful in better establishing the stone’s worth (- although I will still have to find an appraiser in the UK with sufficient experience of alexandrite to provide an informed valuation).

Cam

Rough_Rock
Hi Kenny,
Many thanks for the suggestion. I have just looked on the Malca-Amit website and their secure delivery service looks very impressive (- and I suspect expensive?!). I see there is an office in Hatton Garden, so I will contact them to get an idea of cost.
Thanks again.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
@Cam
What do you want to achieve for your stone ? You want to sell it? Or just keep it rightly appraised? As the costs for your mentioned report plus shipping and insurance wont be a bargain, the stone should be worth this whole procedure or even adding a worth to the stone should be at least possible.
So if you look at the AGL site you can see that the Prestige grading report is priced at 370 $ (vor 0,5-2,99 ct stones). And you have to add the shipping costs for both ways, so you will be around 500 $ if you properly insure the stone. As I do not know, if the stone is that good, you should have this in mind.
The important thing is that you have a natural untreated alexandrite, which your actual cert is already stating I suppose. So just my 2 cents...
To save some money for example, it is possible to visit these labs on big fairs. In Munich we have the Munichshow once a year and most of the bigger labs are here with a booth. It is possible to make certifications here too, which saves much money and you can enjoy the show. I dont know if you have such bigger Gemshows in the UK, but could be worth looking for.

Cam

Rough_Rock
Hi arglthesheep.

Many thanks for your reply and helpful suggestions.

I don’t want to sell the stone, but I am interested in its origin and quality and do want to have a reputable and realistic opinion of its value for insurance purposes. I have submitted the stone (along with the AnchorCert report) to a well established and respected independent jewellery appraisal organization in the UK, but they felt unable to provide a ‘justified and accurate’ valuation because of the stone’s ‘rarity’, the difficulty in identifying suitable UK market price comparators and the stone’s unknown origin. I had thought, therefore, that an AGL grading report might provide a better basis for an informed valuation of its worth. As you point out, however, I need to consider whether the stone is ‘good enough’ to justify the further costs of an AGL report and insured carriage. And therein lies the problem - I don’t know how ‘good’ my stone is or what it might be worth. I know the sorts of things that matter ( body colour, degree and quality of colour change, clarity, size), but while i can judge these things as layperson, I don’t know how they are graded or aggregated by gemologists into an overall index of quality (as in an AGL grading report). I think my stone is, in fact, pretty 'good' (certainly in terms of colour change and size), but without knowing how good, or its potential value, I don’t really know if it is worth sending it abroad or how I could even insure it for transportation purposes. This is why, in my original post, I had hoped LD might be able to point me in the direction of UK appraisers (or dealers) who have experience and expertise in alexandrite and who could give me an idea of my stone’s value. I will then be better placed to decide whether to get an AGL report, or just a written valuation based on an appraiser's judgement and the AnchorCert report. Either way, I need to identify a reputable and established appraiser who is sufficiently familiar with alexandrite and its nuances to provide a reliable and realistic valuation. Your suggestion about gemstone fairs and trade shows is a good one – I don’t know what is coming up in the UK, but I will have a look around to see. I see that AGL are in fact at a show in Hong Kong later this month, but sadly this is a bit too far away!!!

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Cam,
If you want you can post a few pics here. As you already saw there are many very experienced people here. So I think we can give you a few hints and a first suggestion on the stone.
IN February there are a few shows in the UK, though I do not know where you are located:

http://www.rockngem.co.uk/show/pavilions-harrogate-rock-gem-n-bead-february-2018-show/

I did not visit this show so I cant tell you how big it is, but probably worth looking at it.
Hope this helps

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi arglthesheep.

Many thanks for your reply and helpful suggestions.

I don’t want to sell the stone, but I am interested in its origin and quality and do want to have a reputable and realistic opinion of its value for insurance purposes. I have submitted the stone (along with the AnchorCert report) to a well established and respected independent jewellery appraisal organization in the UK, but they felt unable to provide a ‘justified and accurate’ valuation because of the stone’s ‘rarity’, the difficulty in identifying suitable UK market price comparators and the stone’s unknown origin. I had thought, therefore, that an AGL grading report might provide a better basis for an informed valuation of its worth. As you point out, however, I need to consider whether the stone is ‘good enough’ to justify the further costs of an AGL report and insured carriage. And therein lies the problem - I don’t know how ‘good’ my stone is or what it might be worth. I know the sorts of things that matter ( body colour, degree and quality of colour change, clarity, size), but while i can judge these things as layperson, I don’t know how they are graded or aggregated by gemologists into an overall index of quality (as in an AGL grading report). I think my stone is, in fact, pretty 'good' (certainly in terms of colour change and size), but without knowing how good, or its potential value, I don’t really know if it is worth sending it abroad or how I could even insure it for transportation purposes. This is why, in my original post, I had hoped LD might be able to point me in the direction of UK appraisers (or dealers) who have experience and expertise in alexandrite and who could give me an idea of my stone’s value. I will then be better placed to decide whether to get an AGL report, or just a written valuation based on an appraiser's judgement and the AnchorCert report. Either way, I need to identify a reputable and established appraiser who is sufficiently familiar with alexandrite and its nuances to provide a reliable and realistic valuation. Your suggestion about gemstone fairs and trade shows is a good one – I don’t know what is coming up in the UK, but I will have a look around to see. I see that AGL are in fact at a show in Hong Kong later this month, but sadly this is a bit too far away!!!

Note that gem labs such as AGL and GIA will not provide a valuation in the report. The report will state what kind of stone it is, whether it's synthetic or natural, and whether is is untreated or treated and the type of treatment on the stone.

Provenance do impact the pricing in the market, so a Russian origin for alex will carry a premium and makes a difference. However, when you ask a lab for an origin report, they will try to give the most plausible opinion on origin based on scientific analysis, but there are times that a lab cannot make a conclusion on the origin, and will inform you that origin is inconclusive.

Cam

Rough_Rock
Hi arglthesheep,

Although I have taken several photographs of my alexandrite, I don’t think any can be considered ‘truly accurate’ or ‘truly representative’ of the way it looks to the naked eye across different viewing conditions – the photos are at best approximate representations of the stone’s colour under particular (rather than all) illumination, stone orientation and picture capture and display conditions. I’m not sure, therefore, that posting pictures of my stone will be very helpful. However, I’m happy to provide a brief verbal description. The stone is 2.3 carats cushion cut. Its body colour hue is bluish green in daylight and purplish red under incandescent light. The tone is dark. There are some (shifting) areas of extinction. The saturation is, I would say, moderately strong to strong. The colour change is in my view striking and is easily observed – I would say the degree of change is very strong to prominent and the change quality is very good to excellent (- but I’m no expert!). Because the tone is dark, I’m not sure about clarity, but looking at the stone pavilion up, it seems pretty clean. I have no idea about the quality of the cut. So, on the plus side, the stone is fairly large and I think has great colour change – and a gem lab report confirms it is natural. On the downside the tone is dark (perhaps in part because of the stone’s deep pavillion) and has areas of extinction. I have another alexandrite (half the size), which has a moderate tone and is I think a more attractive bluish green in daylight, but its colour change is not as good. I have also had other alexandrites, with prettier mint green daylight colour, but poor colour change, which I have not kept. The above description is, however, based on my own observations and I have no training or experience in making subtle grading distinctions about colour, colour change or clarity, nor do I know how to weigh up different characteristics (e.g. colour change versus tone) when rating a stone’s overall quality. That is why I wanted to get an AGL Prestige Grading Report (to provide an expert and objective evaluation of the stone’s characteristics and origin), as well as an expert appraisal of value.

Thank you for the link to the Harrogate Show – unfortunately we can’t make that one, but I will see if anything is coming up a bit closer to home.

Cam

Rough_Rock
Hi Seaglow,

Many thanks for your post. I appreciate that gem labs provide identification, not valuation services, but am thinking that an AGL Premium Grading Report would provide additional information (on quality and origin) that would assist an appraiser when subsequently valuing the stone. I realize that AGL may, in the event, be unable to identify the origin of a particular stone and even if it can, it can only offer an informed opinion. However, in the absence of any other validated provenance, I think an AGL opinion of origin is the best I can hope for. Thanks again.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Seaglow,

Many thanks for your post. I appreciate that gem labs provide identification, not valuation services, but am thinking that an AGL Premium Grading Report would provide additional information (on quality and origin) that would assist an appraiser when subsequently valuing the stone. I realize that AGL may, in the event, be unable to identify the origin of a particular stone and even if it can, it can only offer an informed opinion. However, in the absence of any other validated provenance, I think an AGL opinion of origin is the best I can hope for. Thanks again.

Even the prestige report will only have identification and origin (if conclusive) but not quality.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking online and knowing that Alexandrities over 1 carat are rare enough, and yours is over 2 carats, I imagine $70,000 plus. Of course the issue is, when was the last time a similiar Alex to yours sold and how does that price translate into “now $”. Being rare and not often traded, sale data is probably hard to obtain. Alex value is more dependent on colour change strength (closest to the “fabled” emerald to ruby colourway) and size than clarity (it’s a type 2 like emerald so inclusions are common and part and parcel of the gem). Cut or shape, again lesser considerations. I believe that “origin” is nigh impossible to determine and obviously a “Russian Alex” would be worth considerably more than another origin. I believe that there are particular crystal inclusions (and colour way) that are more often attributed to Russian origin gems so that can help establish possible origin, but I don’t think any lab is actually prepared to state “Russian origin” like they can and do with Burma rubies (for eg).
Pser “Nosean” is very knowledgeable regarding Alexandrite and does have a lovely Russian Alex. I tried to find the earlier thread she advised on (I have a tiny Alex myself) without luck.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Cam,
that sounds good, what you are describing. Over 2 ct is a very nice size for alexandrites and not often seen. Depends what price you are seeking, the insurance value or a realistic selling price. The insurance value is normally far higher than the realistic selling price.
Origin matters for sure as seaglow states. Russian are normally demanding the highest prices. But there are also good qualities coming from africa, India, brazil and some other countries. Sri lankan stones normally dont have that good daylight colors. So good luck for your search and keep us updated, when you found what you seeked ;-)

Sydneyaustralia

Rough_Rock
Hi ,

I have this alexandrite, bought in second hand shop, probably vintage. I wasn't able to pic the color bluish green, brownish green in daylight. Everytime i take pictures in daylight it show fuchsia pink. In nightlight change into purple, pink purple,pink. Can someone help me if this real alexandrite please. I attached pic below.thanks in advance 20180614_100624.jpg 20180614_084245.jpg 20180614_202044.jpg 20180614_202118.jpg 20180615_081910.jpg Thanks

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You post it three times so I answer three times too.

Think it is lab created synthetic vanadium doped sapphire.

Uniform stones which would be a challenge in CC garnet, the typical CC you see in this synthetic material.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results