shape
carat
color
clarity

Should diamond studs match engagement ring?

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In terms of cut/color/clarity? Style of setting?

I imagine color and clarity wouldn't matter as much in earrings compared to a e-ring? And that most would prefer a similar setting as the e-ring?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve got OEC earrings that nominally match my ering for cut. I didn’t buy them to match but because I don’t like MRBs and I love OECs. They’re in a completely different, 6 prong setting to my ering.
So no, they don’t have to match. But I’m sure there are some people who do enjoy having a matching set of everything. I like mismatched metals so never wear a matching anything - my wedding set is platinum ering with white and yellow gold wedding band :lol-2:

Last edited:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I imagine some women like having matched sets so if ER is a Halo, then earrings and pendant would be haloed too. I'm not a matchy type plus a serial upgrader so matching is not my style.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of cut/color/clarity? Style of setting?

I imagine color and clarity wouldn't matter as much in earrings compared to a e-ring? And that most would prefer a similar setting as the e-ring?

That’s all a matter of preference. I, personally, have a love of step cut diamonds, so my pieces tend to match, in at least that way (style/cut). I have a set of earring studs on my list, but I don’t know if I want Octavia, or OEC, or AVC....
I have a secret love for Old Cuts, too...shhhh...

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I imagine some women like having matched sets so if ER is a Halo, then earrings and pendant would be haloed too. I'm not a matchy type plus a serial upgrader so matching is not my style.

"A serial upgrader" is so funny! I have the issue that I would want something bigger but don't want to give up what I have. I am not sure if there is a term for that!

I do not think I would notice if someone matched if studs matched in color and clarity. I think I would just notice the size of the studs compared to the wedding band.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it's a matter of personal preference, I don't think they have to match but I'm sure some people prefer that. I have H color MRBs for studs and my ering is an J (EGL) OEC in a halo and I think they look fine together. I don't think anybody really looks that closely at them.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mine don't match at all. My studs are MRB, G color, 1 ctw in WG martini settings. I also have a set of princess studs that I wear when I'm feeling more incognito. My rings are all lower colored OECs in platinum. One of these days I'll upgrade my earrings but I see my hands more so that's where I spend my money. I never really thought about them matching.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’ve got OEC earrings that nominally match my ering for cut. I didn’t buy them to match but because I don’t like MRBs and I love OECs. They’re in a completely different, 6 prong setting to my ering.
So no, they don’t have to match. But I’m sure there are some people who do enjoy having a matching set of everything. I like mismatched metals so never wear a matching anything - my wedding set is platinum ering with white and yellow gold wedding band :lol-2:
Pictures? I want to see OECs as earrings..

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Nope!

I don't think I can get an e-ring that is a martini setting!

The great thing about diamonds are that they're not hard to match with other. And similarly, "can i tell the difference between a D and a H in an ideal cut diamond from a distance in sunlight/whilst worn" - probably not! Clarity without a loupe? Nope. Just size and sparkle :)

WF martini setting in platinum 1.2tcw ACA's ... I'll have to find the certificate or invoice to remember what colour they were but think 'F'.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs and Ering all have J stones and settings by the same designer.

I do like that they happen to “match”, but I didn’t plan it that way, and if there were non-matching earring or ring styles I preferred I’d have gone that route without hesitation.

EarlyBirdAsscher

Rough_Rock
"I think I would just notice the size of the studs compared to the wedding band.

If it’s not too much of a tangent, what do you think an appropriate or “ideal” proportion of studs to e-ring size is?

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I actually thought about that question as I typed the above response. Earring versus e-ring ratio is a hard one. Maybe there is not an answer to this. I would personally go with what looks the best on your hand and ears along w taking into consideration budget.

But, if I could select any e-ring and studs that I would wear daily, I would select a 2 carat ring and 2 carat TCW studs. My e-ring is 1 carat and I changed the setting over the years but always kept the original stone, which is only 1 carat. I currently have a halo. My studs are small, maybe .70 TCW and not the best quality so I do wear halos with them. But, it is just coincidental that they both have halos. I also wear the studs in my 2nd hole, sometimes.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hope it’s ok to post them - they’re moissy cos I have/had a real tendency to lose earrings so couldn’t bring myself to get diamonds to start with. I’ll replace them with larger diamond OECs when funds permit. This is them next to my ering E24ABEED-60B4-4569-A5A0-D32D9EF3A0DD.jpeg
Now I have a new want to add to my list.. I will prob try out moissy too. I would love some OECs in a warmish antiquey tone, but have no idea where to look for moissy.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a personal preference. My ering and studs are F but that is for a sentimental reason. I don't think style or color need to match between rings and earrings; all that matters is you like them.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I have a new want to add to my list.. I will prob try out moissy too. I would love some OECs in a warmish antiquey tone, but have no idea where to look for moissy.
nip over to the Fabulous Fashion Jewellery forum and we can discuss there ;)2

himni

Shiny_Rock
I think its a personal preference, I personally do not like for everything to match. But I like all my jewelry to be the same metal.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Ooo pretty!!! The only giveaway and only because you mentioned is that the spectrum/colour of the fire in Moissy is more colourful and intense ... we have some Moissy too (for similar reasons) and it’s a great, durable alternative. Now before I get put in the penalty box ... a google of a Charles and Colvard who held the original patent or Supernova Mois... will find you info where to look.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine don't match. I have an asscher ER and MRB studs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s not too much of a tangent, what do you think an appropriate or “ideal” proportion of studs to e-ring size is?

I think total weight of studs equaling the e-ring diamond is a good goal. I upgraded until I reached that point, but then I upgraded one more time so that the ring diamond is 2.3 cts and each stud is almost 1.3 cts (2.6 cts). I am definitely at my final size, but I think even 1.5 each would still be fine with my diamond ring. I think it looks best for the size of the studs to be smaller than the e-ring stone, basically!

Now I have a new want to add to my list.. I will prob try out xxxx too. I would love some OECs in a warmish antiquey tone, but have no idea where to look for moissy.

CVB accesses many types of antique stones if you were to have her set them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the original question...I have stuck with superideal cut Whiteflash ACAs for studs because I think outstanding light performance means the stones can be more easily seen from a distance. My e-ring is now an AVR. All are set in platinum. E-ring is I color and studs are H color. Basically that’s because those were the colors available in the sizes I wanted at the time! But in general, I think I color is ideal for studs in terms of balancing size and price.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have an H colored ering and H colored studs. Both are round, set in white gold. I would like to upgrade my studs two more times until I get to 1 ct each (I currently have .35 each).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think so. Get whatever you like and looks pretty. I have MRB studs and an OEC ering.

EarlyBirdAsscher

Rough_Rock
I think total weight of studs equaling the e-ring diamond is a good goal. I upgraded until I reached that point, but then I upgraded one more time so that the ring diamond is 2.3 cts and each stud is almost 1.3 cts (2.6 cts). I am definitely at my final size, but I think even 1.5 each would still be fine with my diamond ring. I think it looks best for the size of the studs to be smaller than the e-ring stone, basically!

Thanks! This board has been very helpful turning vague aspirations into concrete goals.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results