shape
carat
color
clarity

What Do Hoop Earrings Mean To You?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh! That sounds awful! I had to taReplyke DD to urgent care while we were there, but thankfully, they all spoke perfect English. I would have been in trouble otherwise! The market is in Jerusalem and well known, as is the pub. Next time you go, hop in a cab and a taxi can take you directly there!

There are cabs in Israel? I went everywhere in a car packed full of family members. Or on a bus with a a lot of soldiers. No one told me there were cabs! (This was in the 1970's when I was walking around.) In the 1990's I was flat on my back!

Deb ;))

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was raised in the late 80's-early 90's and to be honest hoops had a bad rap - mostly worn by trashy girls so my mum forbid it! Also my school banned it too (only plain studs) so I just never got into them and still think they look really odd on me. :eek2: Love the way they look on others though... :mrgreen:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
:lol:
There are cabs in Israel? I went everywhere in a car packed full of family members. Or on a bus with a a lot of soldiers. No one told me there were cabs! (This was in the 1970's when I was walking around.) In the 1990's I was flat on my back!

Deb ;))
Hahaha!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So interesting reading this! Half my family is Greek American, and so they get their ears pierced early, first studs, then tiny hoops and then bigger hoops. My mother didn't let me get my ears pierced until I was twelve, and was looking forward to wearing those hoops! But shortly before I witnessed my cousin get her earlobe ripped almost in half because she was wearing hoops while playing some game in the backyard. And then stupidly, the first time I wore earrings after getting the gold starter studs out, I bought a pair of heavy costume hoop earrings and it HURT. Between those 2 cringes I decided hoops were not for me and other than some silver huggies do not wear them. Still the females in my family love their jewelry. For Christmas my mother would ask for yellow gold hoop earrings. She would eventually lose one, and a few years later ask for another pair to replace. So hoop earrings remind me of a) my mom and b) my Greek relatives.
I do remember there was some point (in the 90's? 2000's?) where I saw a photo of my aunt and cousins, and like overnight, they had changed their earrings all from yellow gold (mostly hoops) to diamond studs, white gold.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I went to the DMV today to renew my licence. The woman helping me had on these huge hoop earrings. I thought of this thread. I also thought "ouch, those look heavy and painful".

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love small hoops and have several pairs that I rotate through. They're my go-to earrings.

katydid

Rough_Rock
cultural appropriation my a$$. as a matter of fact the ancient greeks wore hoop earrings long before any other civilization. in fact, i am greek so if anyone is going to go around sporting hoops it will be ME. :lol:

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Since this got bumped lol. I have one very small,old, yellow gold pair grandma bought me. I usually wore the gold or pearl studs I gave my mom before she died. But I never wear anything since one ear closed up years back. I figure eventually I might have that side redone since I would like to have some earrings again eventually. I am in love with the little detachable pearl drops. Big hoops though hurt and I have no interest in wearing them. Don't really care one way or another on other people though. I don't have any particular associations about them either.

000Ed

Rough_Rock
I have been experimenting with them I dont normally wear them this big but I wore this 1 inch pair last week out to dinner. I may wear them more often DSCN6576 (2).jpg

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like to wear them. My piercing is too large and the earing floats around. I also LOVE liner earrings.
Even when I was young, I didn't like them.. Give me a post and clutch or lever back earring any day and I a a happy camper

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results