shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your advice / thoughts on a stone please

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice numbers...and the price is right on with JA stones. Nice choice. You could ask for an idealscope and see if they can get one for you.

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your feedback. :))

Yes I did ask for one but they need to get the stone first, which seems pretty long this time of the year. I’ll post it as soon as I get it.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see ASET/IS! Looks good, so far!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Specs look good and the pic looks good too. At least the crystal at 9 o’clock is white in color rather than black.

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
Can’t wait to see ASET/IS! Looks good, so far!

JA told me that they will only provide me with an IS, ASET reserved to fancy shapes apparently. Is it true? Should I insist to get the ASET instead of IS?

Thanks

Vander_25

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi Ben,

I had reserved this stone as it is a very rare find according to the whiteflash rep I spoke with. I am thinking I will be going with a different stone that is H in color and strong fluorescence since it is for a halo setting.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3916984.htm

I posted this in another thread already but it seems to match up well to your chosen stone and has all of the images posted already. It is a J VS2 but is also a bit larger than the stone you selected.

I was told it was cut to the WF ACA standards and is not an "A Cut Above" diamond only because it has medium blue fluorescence which I think is a positive anyways. I was told it's rare because they typically won't cut them to the super ideal standards if it is known to have fluorescence.

What other members can chime in on is if this should face up like an I or H with the super ideal cut and medium fluorescence. If I didn't get such a good deal on my setting and diamond combo this is what I was going to go with. Wanted to offer another suggestion for those more experienced to compare to what you picked. Best of luck!!

Vander_25

Rough_Rock
Premium
What I would add in is that your proportion numbers look better than the WF stone I linked and it is higher clarity and color.

The 75%lh with the 34.5 crown and 40.8 pavilion are supposed to be prime from what I've read to create bigger flashes as opposed to smaller reflections in increased number as you get closer to 80%. Again I'm a novice so other members can better direct you and confirm or correct my statements.

One thing I also picked up on is that super ideal cut stones have very tight averages for the numbers. Ex: crown average may be 34.5 but could have a max and min of 36 and 33 or a max and min of 34.7 and 34.2. Every angle has an average so if you get a breakdown of that it is more info to your advantage. The diamond you picked looks really nice if the images check out. You can also order your own ASET/IS kit if you want to have the diamond delivered and are not able to kit images provided.

https://ideal-scope.com/product/professional-kit-with-dual-light-loupe/
https://datlas.com/ideal-scope-store/aset-kit/

Lastly, here is a WF ACA stone with almost the same size as yours that is also J, VS2 like the first one I linked.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3607524.htm
This diamond is $20 more than the first one I linked but is .049ct smaller and roughly .1mm smaller. Proportions are a bit closer to your diamonds.
Hopefully this gives an idea to the discount on the WF expert selection choice, as well as how good a deal your picked diamond would be if it ends up also having a super ideal cut or excellent ASET.

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
Thank you VERY much Vander_25 for your feedback and suggestions, this is really appreciated.

Both options are really nice. But I would have to stick to my max budget of 4000 USD for the stone. 500 USD more is quite significant for me, especially with the exchange rate of USD vs. CAD. :wall:

Also, I did not write it, but the diamond will be mounted on a JA setting, so I won't be able to check the hearts anyway. I will have to rely on the IS image they will provide me with. Which I'll post as soon as I get it.

Again, thank you.

Ben

Vander_25

Rough_Rock
Premium
You can still check the ASET with it mounted I believe, the kit I linked would not give you a hearts image, only IS which you can get from JA, and ASET. What I would also suggest is having the stone shipped to you so you can check it first then ship it back to have it mounted in the setting. Only problem would be import fees if it is not located in Canada. My budget wasn't much higher than yours so I completely understand that! I would be cautious of buying a diamond already set without seeing the ASET if you are paying import fees to Canada.

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
You can still check the ASET with it mounted I believe, the kit I linked would not give you a hearts image, only IS which you can get from JA, and ASET. What I would also suggest is having the stone shipped to you so you can check it first then ship it back to have it mounted in the setting. Only problem would be import fees if it is not located in Canada. My budget wasn't much higher than yours so I completely understand that! I would be cautious of buying a diamond already set without seeing the ASET if you are paying import fees to Canada.

That could be an option... Long story short, I've already ordered, received and returned a ring (dull diamond, I did do enough research at that point). I did not have to pay any (import) taxes to Fedex. So it is not an issue.

But I'm not sure that I would go that far. If IS is OK, I'll go forward. Do you see a particular risk to do so? I mean, if the diamond looks nice face up...

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
UPDATE: I have received the IS from James Allen. Here is Adam's note:

Overall the image looks good, featuring lots of red coloration. It does have few areas of white, so I’m wondering if the diamond may be tilted in the tray to create that. The diamond has an excellent cut, polish, symmetry, depth and table combination, and angles, so it’s definitely a bright and lively diamond, having no noticeable light leakage. Additionally, it’s eye clean and white in color.

And the picture:

3593064id.jpg

I'm concerned by the white areas. Do you buy Adam's explanation? If not, will it be a big issue?

What are your advice?

Thanks.

Ben

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is tilted extremely slightly. That is not what is causing the asymmetry - which, incidentally, is clear in the still photo in the original post if one is used to looking for it: the asymmetry bisects both N/S and E/W axes of symmetry, making tilt during photography an extremely unlikely explanation.

This stone simply does not exhibit exceptional optical symmetry. Which is fair since you are not paying for exceptional optical symmetry. If you had a H&A image you'd see disproportionately thick "V"s in those areas. For some this would be a "big" issue, for others it wouldn't... Not sure what to tell you there. It will certainly be a bright, lively, colourful stone.

I will say that I've always had the impression that longtime PSers are generally more knowledgeable than most of JA's service reps/gemologists. I'm somewhat disappointed by Adam's note here as in my experience he is one of JA's consistently solid resources.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I also picked up on is that super ideal cut stones have very tight averages for the numbers. Ex: crown average may be 34.5 but could have a max and min of 36 and 33 or a max and min of 34.7 and 34.2. Every angle has an average so if you get a breakdown of that it is more info to your advantage.

Absolutely. Several PS vendors will provide scans (ie. Sarin output) for stones in their elite/H&A lines - this is, however, not something JA happens to offer.

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
Adam just reached back to me, offering me a second inspection (as a special exception). I beleive that the stone will be transferred from NYC to his office.

What specific questions should I ask in order to get the most information from his inspection?

Obviously, I am looking for a great .9 stone at a good price. (It is really great to learn about the diamonds in general, but the more I learn, the more expectation I have. And my budget stays the same...4000 USD max)

That stone is maybe not the steal I thought, but does it worth the 3910 USD asked for? I guess so, but is there better options? I did not find any yet, do you?

Thanks,

Ben

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pickings are slim in this combination range... if you are willing to drop clarity there are a couple of contenders... Here's another VS1 that looks promising - listed at $4190:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3605271

However, it is unclear to me exactly what you are looking for? The stone you've identified will be, as I said, a lovely, bright, colourful stone. It does not have excellent optical symmetry, but it is definitely a fair price for what it is! The stone I listed above is also a fair price for what it is. If your priority is "value for money" I think your current selection has achieved that... if you want excellent optical symmetry you'll have to either increase the budget or drop size/colour/clarity - you're just never, ever going to find a great deal buying retail!

Last edited:

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
Thank you @yssie !

I really appreciate your recommendation. It is a nice stone as well!

To answer your question, the reps at JA, told me that it was going to be a true H&A, so in that in mind it is a littlle disappointing. So my expectations were high, even with my limited budget, and I was really expecting a great bargain.

As you say, the diamond is still nice, and I'm still attached to it since I waited for a few days to get the IS.

For educational purposes : Is the symmetry problem of "my" first stone is visible from the top? The black chunks at the base of the arrows? I do not see those on the stone you recommend.

10E0EA7D-0872-41B5-B5FA-DB62AE5A6857.jpeg

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
f you want excellent optical symmetry you'll have to either increase the budget or drop size/colour/clarity - y

The budget will have to stay in the same neighborhood. (<4000 - 4150 USD) But as long at is eye clean I can go down a lilltle in clarity. I'm also open to decrease the size a little, idealy not under 85 points.

I cannot help myself. I'm sure the first diamond is really nice, but since I am reading a lot about diamonds those days, a super ideal diamond seems really tempting :twisted:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, believe me, we all share your woes re. maximising budget!! :bigsmile:

The parts you circled - and the inconsistency at 7 o’clock - is what I saw that left me unsurprised by the IS image, yes. The one I posted will have tighter optical symmetry - but it’s considerably more expensive! I’m sorry to hear your vendor’s evaluation led you astray here :( I’ve bought several times from them and they are a fantastic resource if you’re looking for something specific - if you already know both what you’re looking for and how to find it.

I don’t have time right this moment but am happy to poke around for you later today, see what’s out there that might better fit your post-PS wishlist ::)

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
Hi! Morning update here :P2

I did some late late (too) late shopping during the night.

I have canceled my order with JA and I’ve placed a new one with WF. ACA .85ct J VS2 even cheaper than originally planned.

Pictures will come later.

Thank you so much to all for the comments and advice.

The stone is barley smaller but I now know that I will have an extraordinary diamond :)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh yay. ACA will blow you away! (Hey, could this be a new WF jingle?)

Please post pics!! Congrats. It'll be awesome!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!! Seemed like precision-cutting was becoming more and more important to you - your ACA will be eye-clean and mind-clean :sun:

Vander_25

Rough_Rock
Premium
Congrats! What did the ACA stone go for if you don't mind me asking? Did they discount it?

Criminalmind

Rough_Rock
hi Vander and Lachino and all,

I stumbled upon this thread, and noticed the 2 recommended rocks no longer under consideration in the thread. 2 months ago I was looking for a diamond, but had surgery, everything went well, so I'm back in the market for the rock now, with the setting arriving this coming Wednesday, but no rock yet.

setting is a halo rose gold metal... and I was looking in the category of J-vs2- just under 1.00 carat with ideal cut.... But didn't look at Whiteflash until these.

so these 2 provided above match to me bas well.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3916984.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3607524.htm

which is better... As I don't want all of Vander's hard work to go to waste lol. these were actually the only 2 rocks that are j-vs2-ideal cut and 0.9-1.00 carat range in the WH inventory.

Last edited:

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
Congrats! What did the ACA stone go for if you don't mind me asking? Did they discount it?

I’ll share pictures, price, etc. as soon as everything is confirmed. :)) But it is gorgeous. I have finally my mind at ease! LOL

I’m now trying to figure out what setting to choose. I loved the petite pave flush fit setting from JA that I’ve returned. I thought to buy it alone and get WF do the mounting but JA does not sell that setting alone :(

I cannot make up my mind... the “short” list has 4 contenders:

1. https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ve-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1658.htm

2. https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ve-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1658.htm

3. https://www.simongjewelry.com/product/lr1083-engagement-ring/ (sold 1540$ in platinum by WF)

4. https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...5-d-delicate-diamond-engagement-ring-3462.htm (My favorite but over budget)

As you can see I like thin pavee rings.

Do you have any recommendations? What about the colour difference between the melee and the center stone? (J) Also we have 2 toddlers, so I do not want the prongs to be pointed, if it something I should be concerned about? :read:

Thanks!

We are almost done!

Ben

Vander_25

Rough_Rock
Premium
Criminal mind,

I would go with the .956 between those 2. I was told the only reason it isn't an ACA is because of the medium fluorescence. It is bigger and just as well cut for the same price.

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
James Allen has finally refunded my previous purchase and I was able to proceed with WF. :dance:

Here are the picture of the chosen one (ACA .85 J VS2) :

AC86981A-24AD-4C4B-9D2F-8F0DD845B8AC.jpeg F5E0BBDB-A6FA-40F0-B435-7D43925EE066.jpeg
1CBA0F1C-76F5-4151-9203-27CFECBCF94A.jpeg 9561C4FB-5DF4-43B0-B32C-ACD18FCD6854.jpeg

The setting is not on WF website, but it has been bought through them. It is from Simon G., and it has been ordered in platinum rather than gold. (more info here about the ring)

Bague1.jpg bague2.jpg bague3.jpg

The total carat weight of the ring will be 1.09 ct.

Someone asked me about the price, I'm at $4.5K all incl. :sun:

The ETA is Jan. 8th, so I'll share picture of the actual ring once it arrives.

Thank you all for your help, advice, and educational posts. :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results