color
clarity

Help needed - 10 days to choose between 2-diamonds-cut-vs-clarity

Keep DIAMOND A - F VS2 or pay £2.2k extra to upgrade to DIAMOND B - E VS2

• Keep DIAMOND A

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Upgrade to DIAMOND B for £2.2k

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Return the diamond and start search all over again....

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

diamondnewbie000

Rough_Rock
There's no reason not to buy online from one of the recommended vendors - they all have great return policies, so you can view the stone at home in the various different lights you will wear it in, and also take it to local shops to compare side-by-side with other stones you are looking at, and if you don't like it (unlikely!) you can send it back at only the cost of the shipping (and potentially a small amount for insurance).

It sounds like your other half has been fed a line by a jeweller, the usual "only the crap stones are sold online" or "you will get ripped off". Denigration is a classic tactic by those wanting to discredit an opponent they fear are better than them.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from the US-based vendors again. If your other half wants to see things with his own eyes, though, contact @Wink at High Performance Diamonds - he can arrange remote viewings by skype, can send videos, and may be able/willing to put you in touch with @Paul-Antwerp and the rest of the Crafted by Infinity team in Antwerp, only a short flight away from the UK, as you may be able to visit the CBI office itself.

Hi Oooh Shiny, Thank you vm for this post. I've actually managed to return my stone and am now looking at a stone at a HPD one so will be in touch with @Wink to do the remote viewing. I hadn't considered shipping from the US before but given your experience, I feel more confident and we are now going down this route.

Thank you so much for your help @Snowdrop13 & @diamondseeker2006 too. I'll post an updated pic of the super ideal cut I stone I get once it's been purchased and set :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am SO happy to hear you are going to get a superideal cut diamond! I hope Wink has exactly what you want! We are very fortunate to have 4 or 5 superideal cut vendors with great stones!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Oooh Shiny, Thank you vm for this post. I've actually managed to return my stone and am now looking at a stone at a HPD one so will be in touch with @Wink to do the remote viewing. I hadn't considered shipping from the US before but given your experience, I feel more confident and we are now going down this route.

Thank you so much for your help @Snowdrop13 & @diamondseeker2006 too. I'll post an updated pic of the super ideal cut I stone I get once it's been purchased and set :)

That is really excellent news :) As I think I mentioned in my threads around the time I bought, I was slightly sceptical as to whether I'd reeeally notice a difference compared to what I'd seen locally, but when it arrived, it was night-and-day obviously better!!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant, looking forward to seeing it!

diamondnewbie000

Rough_Rock
@Snowdrop13 @diamondseeker2006 @OoohShiny I've found someone who works with Wink and now can see the stones in London!! Literally around the corner from were I work which is amazing. This is the best of both worlds for me as DH will feel so much better about seeing these in person!

Out of interest, would you go down to a G colour? Or even H? H gets us over 2ct in our budget. My eyes are not vg at seeing he colour difference by DH thinks we should stick to F....

Also.. I've attached some photos of 1.5, 1.7 and 2 carats. What do you think of these sizes? I have G 1/2 or 3.5 size ring finger and am quite petite so theres an argument for not going too huge!!

All thoughts appreciated!
Top 1.5 Mid 1.7 bottom 2
Capture2.PNG
2 Carat

Capture3.PNG
1.7 carat

Capture4.PNG

Capture.PNG

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so exciting!! I'm thrilled you're going to get the chance to check out some options, and a 2ct CBI stone in the UK would be a stand-out ring! :)

I'd love to invite myself along but that would be weird and your other half might have something to say about some random bloke off the internet looking at engagement rings with you LOL :lol:

I think an H would look just fine - the superideals reflect so much light from edge to edge that they look bright white in nearly all lights, and they look larger because they are reflecting from edge to edge!

Take some pictures when you go (if you're allowed) as it would be awesome to see them :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the 2ct H! The diamond looks amazing on your hand!:love: Honestly, the difference between G and H is so subtle, I really wouldn't be bothered with it, but then again, I personally find H to be the best color when it comes to diamonds- it appears super white, yet it allows you to be able to afford a larger diamond! Definitely the 2ct H!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the 2ct h too!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can afford the 2ct then I'd get it- have you heard of DSS? (Diamond shrinkage syndrome). You might ultimately wish you'd bought it anyway!!! Gorgeous rings, can you tell us the jeweller's name for future reference? There are often UK people on here looking for stones.

diamondnewbie000

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help! My husband would not let me go below the F colour! We stuck with the 1.70 size and the price was LESS than what I paid for the initial GIA EX EX EX which did not have the same level of cut. I ended up picking a VC stone which is stunning - Pics below.

I might start another thread with a review of what I did and who I spoke to in the end as I do think many Londoners will be hesitant of buying online....

Details below
Depth Percent 61.5%
Table Percent 55.5%
Crown Angle 34.7°
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Dimensions (LxWxD) 7.74x7.71x4.76
Fluorescence Negligible
Culet Pointed
Girdle Thin, Medium
Lower Girdle Facet Percent 77.0%
Star Length Percent 49%
Capture1.PNG Capture7.PNG Capture4.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.PNG image1.PNG image2 (1).JPG

diamondnewbie000

Rough_Rock
That is really excellent news :) As I think I mentioned in my threads around the time I bought, I was slightly sceptical as to whether I'd reeeally notice a difference compared to what I'd seen locally, but when it arrived, it was night-and-day obviously better!!

@OoohShiny I spoke to Celine Couwy from Diamond House - she is based in Royal Exchange next to Bank. I think CBI is an excellent company and the fact that she regularly is in London makes online buying much less terrifying for Londoners. We would have loved to have bought from CBI but they didn't have what we were looking for which is a real shame.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who didn't you end up going with?

diamondnewbie000

Rough_Rock
We looked at Crafted by Infinity and Victor Canera. We bought the Victor Canera stone as it met our requirements.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!
So does VC have an agent in London? How does it work?

diamondnewbie000

Rough_Rock
I dealt with Victor Canera directly. He skyped me and we discussed the stone in depth before I decided to buy it for comparison knowing there was a 21 day returns policy and a cost to returning it. They were v helpful - video on their site was super clear and provided me with images at my request within minutes. Customer service was exceptional.

I ordered online and paid FEDEX the VAT when it was held by customs. Took about 5 days total but was also over the weekend so think it would take about 3 if that wasn't the case.

Stone alone only has no Import tax. If I bought the setting too - it would have added 2.5% to setting AND Stone.

If you return the stone you have to complete a tax form and wait for the VAT to come back. VC Returns is otherwise $120 through VC insured. Very simple I thought.

CBI I dealt with the agent who is based in Antwerp and regularly comes to London. I feel we could have made the decision without that if they had high res videos of the stone in all honesty.

All in all - I found buying a Super Ideal in London much easier than expected.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very good info, thank you, sounds like you had a really great experience! Who are you getting to do the setting?

diamondnewbie000

Rough_Rock
I'd already bought a setting in Hatton Garden so am using a local jeweller who had custom made the setting and wedding band as a matching pair. We didn't want the hassle of having to resize abroad and can get the setting serviced annually with the local jeweller which helps.

We returned the old stone but liked the setting. It's a v simple replica of a De Beers Classic setting we saw in their store (which annoyingly isn't online).

I work in a place where I interact with a lot of male high net worth individuals (all who have bought diamonds or are trying to buy) and people believe their only options are to go to Hatton Garden or buy from Tiffany. It's shocking how unknown Super Ideals are so quite frankly I'm under impression that the makers of these stones are missing an entire market of people who are just buying without knowledge...

I have the benefit of being a woman who deals with all these guys so they are surprisingly open with me! And receptive to advice!!

diamondnewbie000

Rough_Rock
I also used a couple of concierge services for advice and highly recommend them too!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not gonna lie. I'm dying to know if you chose one of his settings too. And which one. Oh sorry. I see you already bought a separate setting. His stones are beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished product. Please come back with pictures.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for coming back with the end purchase and the details of the buying process, @diamondnewbie000, it's really helpful for others :)

I'm so pleased you managed to get something that's top-line for cut! The vast majority of what I've seen in Hatton Garden is 'meh' at best.

It sounds like you need to start a service that connects people to CBI/VC/the other PS-recommended vendors - I've thought it would be a good idea myself, but I have no contact with anyone of any wealth and setting up even a small booth and charging for a service would cost a lot! It does seem to be an unfulfilled niche, though. If you do start something and need more staff, let me know ;-) lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results