shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me, please - are they good enough?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The question is, if other vendors use 1 mm, does the difference between 0.8 and 1 mm present a problem for stringing, or not? (Sorry for asking this question, I went to other online resource, lots of interesting information, but somehow I did not find the answer to this question).

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Well the .08 would be smaller so you wouldn't have a problem with your knot sliding inside the hole. I would be more worried with the larger, 1mm. Silk comes in different sizes, so I guess your stringer would just have to use larger silk.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You could have them all drilled with the same drill bit, including the ones from PP.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the .08 would be smaller so you wouldn't have a problem with your knot sliding inside the hole. I would be more worried with the larger, 1mm. Silk comes in different sizes, so I guess your stringer would just have to use larger silk.
This is the issue. I want to learn stringing myself. I found books and read about the tools. Drilling, however, is another thing. So far I found few instructions, and of Etsy and Ebay vendors I bought from, only Augustus-Collection performs it for free (can't blame the vendors, it seems to be a messy process).

Last edited:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't worry about it. Many times I use beaders secret instead of silk. If the knots slide in the hole of two strands of the 30 I will use three strands of the 40 , or two of 30 and one strand of 40 instead.

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered beader's secret power pro from Etsy. And a vise that has 5A. I need to find a good drill... Remembering my old macrame skills, lol...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pearls in your avatar, NacreLover! Like black ripe grapes.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I just got my new order of beaders secret this week. I ordered old favorite colors and got some new ones after chatting with Pattye. She sent me a new color chart marking all the colors that come in size 40. I love this product line.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my shipment of white pearls from PP. If I did not spend on single pearls, I could easily afford more expensive string, lol.

I have only a couple of spinels on me, but here is how the contrast looks like. The spinels I want to use are bigger and more on the pink than red side. And probably a detachable clasp or a suspended pendant will look better.

20170511_151228.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love the pearls and such a contrast with the Spinels. It should be very beautiful.

Are those South Sea pearls?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
They look great together. More details (and photos) of your new SSP strand please!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Bright Ice and Siameseroo!

They are white and lustrous white South Sea pearls. Nacre Lover was right - they are circled, but look very round. And huge! They are snowy-white. Look well with the spinels, and without them, too. I am also very happy with the size. I am a big person, they look noticeable on me.
As to pictures, I planned to buy a new Galaxy - I was sticking to Galaxy Note IV for too long because of bad affair with Note VII, but I heard that VIII is out. Hopefully, tomorrow I shall buy it. Today I have an earache, lying in bed, in my new pearls and with covered ear . A cross between Vermeer and Van Gogh, lol. ;-) so, no pics today.

Last edited:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic, glad you love them!!!

What size are they? I'm looking now to buy a strand for my anniversary which is next month. Looking at 10.8-14.7. Will that be too big?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
10-12 mm, but they look huge! Maybe because of white color.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Whoo Hooo! Those are beautiful Arkteia. The spinel sure show up against those pearls.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I just put them on my favorite model and snapped a shot. Just cropped. Old phone (Galaxy note 8 is not out yet) so pics are not great, but whatever. I think next to a pendant/clip with red spinels they will look great. (My idea of buying one budget one pearl was not cost-efficient, but I wanted to know what was out there, and also about vendors. Tried two more).

20170521_123934.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are beautiful Arkteia! The Spinel pendant will shine so brightly!!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Bright Ice!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Those look great on the neckline. I bet your thrilled.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very. But, me being me, I am enjoying them but also thinking of a bale/pendant/clasp. Either something with these two (each is about 3.6 ct, need a good design), or else, I have several baby pink spinels that can be set in an antique - style pendant.

20170524_232741.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I love the spinel with those pearls

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sharon,

My project is not moving at all, very busy at work. But thank you for showing me this stunning clasp (or whatever it is). Beautiful! If I were to make something, I would position spinels like snapdragon's mouth... :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results