shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC & OMC Afficianados! Opinions needed, please?

Wry_Martini

Rough_Rock
I've been a long time lurker on this forum, and I've learned a tremendous amount. But I'm still learning, and I'd appreciate some opinions or guidance.

The backstory: I'm searching for the perfect antique diamond for my engagement ring. (We're a bit untraditional, I'm picking my own stone, and it's a joint purchase.)

What I know I like: Extremely chunky facets, large culets, kozibe. I think I prefer a more flowery cut. I am okay with a bit of asymmetry, it's part of the charm. And fire. I love fire. I have a preference for very warm stones - say, from L to Z. I have a slight preference for OEC over OMC and antique cushion. Most transitional cuts don't excite me (but I'd be open to considering one.) I have larger fingers (8.5) and I'd like something around 3 carats. Budget, I'd like to keep around $15k, but I could do a little more for the right stone.

I've spent a lot of time looking at pics and videos at JBG and LAD, and the GOG videos (and so many pretty things!), and I'd appreciate any opinions/feedback on the following possibilities. Please feel free to suggest other options, too:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-...-european-cut-diamond-gia-q-r-vs#.WPqo1RjMw0o
and here are more more pics and video of the 3.28.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-.../3-01ct-old-european-cut-diamond#.WPqsiBjMw0o and here are more pics and video of the 3.01.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-...20ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond#.WPqo7RjMw0o and here's more pics and video of the 3.20.

This last one is a bit of an outlier. I keep looking at this one; I can't decide if I like the pronounced Maltese Cross effect or not. It's interesting to look at, but I don't know if it's something I'd actually want to wear! Figured it was worth including, if for no other reason than I keep looking at it.

I greatly appreciate any feedback!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one is a pretty light yellow and has a nice facet pattern. I think it is worth keeping on the list.

The second one is very out of round, so you'd have to set it with that in mind.

The cushion is pretty rustic and appears to have a larger table than I would want for an antique cushion. You can do better than this one.

If you are on Instagram, there is a reputable diamond seller who is associated with Grace and he is selling one item each Sunday at a very good price until the item is sold. He lists at 9am pacific time. This Sunday it is a 3.1 ct O-P OEC and it appears to be a nice one. A video was posted on his IG (joganibh) today. Price will be revealed with the listing, and first person to respond gets it for that price. You might want to contact in advance to know if there is a return policy.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like the first one! It has symmetrical outline. It's huge and thick - perfect for a man ring!
It's interesting, that Grace states 3.28ct, but the GIA report says 3.39ct?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen this 3.11 O/P VS2 ring on JBG's site? If the setting doesn't appeal, she might be willing to sell you the stone?
That OEC DS posted on joganibh's IG is gorgeous tho :love: I hope you DM and it's a good price!
And also there's this 3 carat N VS2 OEC at Ivy and Rose Vintage.
Failing that, is there anything that appeals at Old World Diamonds?

Last edited:

Wry_Martini

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the feedback!

I do really like the facet pattern on the 3.28 at JbG (good catch on the GIA report saying 3.39, I wonder whats up, there?). The 3.11 ring is also pretty, I'll have to take a closer look at it. I don't care for the setting much, but I can ask if she'd be willing to sell just the stone.

I'll take a look at all the other suggestions as soon as my coffee finishes brewing.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, I'm concerned about the 3.28, it's a very small face up for its size, so it's quite deep, even for an OEC. And the video is underwhelming--usually Grace's OEC videos knock your socks off with fire and flash. This one has very little going on in the video. The 2.91 soxfan linked looks much better--although it goes the other way--quite large face up for a sub-three carat OEC.

I can't see links to video on Grace's site anymore. What am I missing?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I'm concerned about the 3.28, it's a very small face up for its size, so it's quite deep, even for an OEC. And the video is underwhelming--usually Grace's OEC videos knock your socks off with fire and flash. This one has very little going on in the video. The 2.91 soxfan linked looks much better--although it goes the other way--quite large face up for a sub-three carat OEC.

I can't see links to video on Grace's site anymore. What am I missing?

You know what was weird for me? That the 2.91 looks so amazing in the pics and the GIA report # is wrong and there are NO videos. I don't get it.......

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Old World Diamonds has this: 3.02, N, VVS1, faint fluorescence, 9.19 X 9.12 mm. I would be very interested in Adam's opinion on it. He has a great eye. It is a bit out of budget, though, at $18,875.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Also at OWD 3.21, N, VVS2, 9.37 X 9.34 mm, $16,050. What a monster! I think you should call or email Adam at OWD given what you're looking for.

Wry_Martini

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I'll give him a call; $18k isn't too far out of budget. Some of those do look quite promising.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree with sagefemme. Give Adam a call, since you are doing your due diligence. He has an excellent eye.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I'll give him a call; $18k isn't too far out of budget. Some of those do look quite promising.
Every seller is willing to make some discount.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wry_Martini - did you see the price on that cape 3.10 on joganibh? :-o:love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results