shape
carat
color
clarity

How can I tell if this is a green tourmaline?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_7708.JPG

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Learning to post again. So I suspect this is a green tourmaline. I can see different shades of green. But buying se in hand and the seller has no idea what it is. My fear is that it could be a cubic zirconia or glass. The side stones are diamonds and set in 14 k gold. What should I look for?

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a tourmaline to me!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Very obvious Double Refraction, typical bluish green color, that cut is often used on tourmaline as well.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Pleochroism and birefringence (double refraction) are not the same. Also natural tourmaline vs. simulant would need a lab to determine if the sourcing was unknown or not reliable; beware of toumalike. Style of cut is no proof of anything other than geometry.
Your question was how can you tell if it is tourmaline? Do you have the equipment to measure the refractive indices and the specific gravity? If not, and the seller is not one you know is trustworthy, you should send it to a lab for a gem brief.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a few signs that point to it probably being a tourmaline but it is best to have it tested for a peace of mind.

MissouriRiverSapphireCo

Rough_Rock
Trade
The dichroism is typical for tourmaline, a bluish green A/B axis with a less desirable yellowish green C axis, as is the color/cut. Glass would not be dichroic, nor would CZ. CZ would also show dispersion, which tourmaline will not. FYI tourmaline is also piezoelectric (in fact the phenomenon was first discovered in tourmaline) so if you attempt to clean the stone via rubbing with a piece of tissue paper it will charge up the electric field and attract a very noticeable amount of lint. The harder you try to remove the lint, the more it will stick, making it the devil to clean for photographs. I cannot think of a single other stone/simulant that is both dichroic and piezoelectric, so that leaves tourmaline as the only possibility.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your replies. I stopped by 2 jewelers today, and both assured me that it is not glass. They both recommended that I submit it to Gia as they said it could be a tourmaline, tsavorite or possibly an emerald! I really love the ring and would like to know what it is. That said, Idk if it's worth the cost to submit it for grading. If it is a tourmaline, how much can it be worth? A tsavorite? An emerald? It's 8.4 mm by 7.1 mm. Appreciate any thoughts.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shows you little about colored stones most jewelers know. With that strong pleochroism it couldn't possibly be a tsavorite garnet. I would be 90% confident it's tourmaline.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results