shape
carat
color
clarity

Trumpet 1-27-17

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With Matata's blessing I will begin the Trumpet festivities today!

I'll give a link and also insert the text in case anyone can't get to the article due to lack of subscription or other issues. Please forgive any funky formatting as things don't always import perfectly.

Let's start with a recap of the past week...

President Trump’s first seven days of false claims, inaccurate statements and exaggerations
By Glenn Kessler January 27 at 3:00 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/01/27/president-trumps-first-seven-days-of-false-claims-inaccurate-statements-and-exaggerations/?utm_term=.5b5903b6b591

Regular readers know that candidate Donald Trump had difficulty with facts. He earned an astonishing 59 Four-Pinocchio ratings over the course of the campaign.

Now that Trump is president, he continues to make misleading statements, based on incomplete information, inaccurate statistics or flights of fancy. Here’s an accounting of his public statements in the first seven days as president, not counting his error-plagued inauguration speech (which had eight problematic claims). If we wrote a full fact check, we noted the number of Pinocchios the statement received.

“I remember hearing [when I was young] from one of my instructors, ‘The United States has never lost a war.’ And then, after that, it’s like we haven’t won anything. We don’t win anymore.”
— Jan. 21, remarks at the CIA

This is debatable. At the very least, one might count the 1991 Persian Gulf War and the end of the Cold War as victories for the United States.

“I have a running war with the media. They are among the most dishonest human beings on Earth. And they sort of made it sound like I had a feud with the intelligence community.”

On Dec. 9, when The Washington Post reported that intelligence officials had concluded that Russia had sought to undermine Hillary Clinton in the election, the Trump team issued a statement: “These are the same people that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction.” After information leaked that Trump had been briefed that an unverified dossier alleged Russia had embarrassing information about him, Trump lashed out at the intelligence agencies and asked: “Are we living in Nazi Germany?” The media simply reported what Trump said about the intelligence community.

“I looked out, the field was — it looked like a million, million and a half people. … The rest of the 20-block area, all the way back to the Washington Monument, was packed.”

Speaking to employees at the CIA, Trump complained about news coverage showing his inauguration crowd was smaller than Barack Obama’s crowd in 2009. Trump’s crowd did not go all the way to the Washington Monument. No matter how you calculate it, Trump’s crowd was significantly smaller than Obama’s crowd — and the Women’s March on Washington the next day.

“We have the all-time record in the history of Time Magazine. … I’ve been on it for 15 times this year.”

Trump has been on the cover of Time magazine a total of 11 times. Richard Nixon holds the record — 55. Depending on whether you count small photographs or not, Hillary Clinton has been on the cover between 22 and 31 times.

“Had a great meeting at CIA Headquarters yesterday, packed house, paid great respect to Wall, long standing ovations, amazing people. WIN!”
— Jan. 22, tweet
Trump appeared to be responding to criticism of his heavily political speech in front of the CIA’s fabled memorial wall. He claimed to have received standing ovations, but he never invited the employees to take a seat. So they remained standing the whole time. (Trump later in the week repeated that he got “a standing ovation.”)

“Wow, television ratings just out: 31 million people watched the Inauguration, 11 million more than the very good ratings from 4 years ago!”
— Jan. 22, tweet

Actually, Obama’s ratings in 2009 were 7 million people higher than Trump’s numbers. Second-term inaugurals tend to get lower ratings, so Trump is cherry-picking the comparison.

“I’m a very big person when it comes to the environment. I have received awards on the environment.”
— Jan. 23, remarks during a meeting with business leaders

There is little evidence that Trump received awards for the environment. The White House pointed us to a self-published book by Trump’s former environmental consultant. The only award mentioned in that book was from New Jersey Audubon — but the group denied it ever gave an award to Trump, the Trump National club in Bedminster or any of its employees. (This statement earned Four Pinocchios.)

“We think we can cut regulations by 75 percent. Maybe more.”
— Jan. 23, meeting with business executives

This is clearly a made-up figure. As of the end of 2015, there were nearly 180,000 pages in the code of federal regulations. So, in theory, that means getting it down to 45,000 pages. There were 71,000 pages back in 1975. Even under Ronald Reagan, the number of pages climbed almost 20 percent.

“Between 3 million and 5 million illegal votes caused me to lose the popular vote.”

— Jan. 23, remarks to congressional leaders

This is a fantasy, worthy of Four Pinocchios. Trump is obsessed with how he lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes, and so he keeps making this claim even though there is no evidence to support it.

“This is on the Keystone pipeline. … A lot of jobs, 28,000 jobs. Great construction jobs.”

— Jan. 24, remarks on signing executive memorandum

In contrast to Obama, who always played down the number of jobs that would be created by the Keystone XL pipeline, Trump inflated the numbers. The project would create part-year work in four states for 10,400 workers, the State Department determined. That added up to a total of 3,900 annual construction jobs. About 12,000 other annual jobs would stem from direct spending on the project. So that adds up to 16,000, most of which are not construction jobs. (This statement earned Three Pinocchios.)

“I just signed two executive orders that will save thousands of lives, millions of jobs, and billions and billions of dollars.”
— Jan. 25, remarks at the Department of Homeland Security

Trump lauded two executive actions regarding immigration and border security, including building a wall along the border of Mexico. Again, the numbers appear to have little basis in reality. Just building the wall is estimated to cost as much as $25 billion — before annual maintenance costs.

“Before we go any further, I want to recognize the ICE [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] and Border Patrol officers in this room today and to honor their service and not just because they unanimously endorsed me for president.”
—Jan. 25, remarks at the Department of Homeland Security

The unions for ICE agents and Border Patrol officers did endorse Trump in 2016 campaign. But they did not do so unanimously. Hillary Clinton received 5 percent of the vote of the ICE membership, according to a statement by the National Immigration and Customs Enforcement Council. The National Border Patrol Council endorsement, meanwhile, was based just on the vote of 11 union leaders, which sparked controversy among union members. Agents in El Paso, in a 14-13 vote, narrowly failed to have the local union disavow the endorsement.

“We ended up winning by a massive amount, 306. I needed 270. We got 306.”

— Jan. 25, interview with ABC News

Trump’s electoral college margin was relatively narrow by historical standards. He ranks 46th out 58 elections. A switch of about 40,000 votes in three states would have swung the election to Clinton.

“Then he’s groveling again. You know I always talk about the reporters that grovel when they want to write something that you want to hear but not necessarily millions of people want to hear or have to hear.”

Trump attacked the author of a 2012 Pew Center on the States report for saying his report did not back up Trump’s claims of voter fraud. Trump suggested the researcher had changed his tune, but when the report was issued the author repeatedly explained it did not reflect voter fraud. (This claim earned Four Pinocchios.)

“Of those [allegedly illegal] votes cast, none of ’em come to me. None of ’em come to me. They would all be for the other side. … They all voted for Hillary.”
Not only is there no evidence of massive voter fraud, but there is no way Trump could possibly know this.

“They say I had the biggest crowd in the history of inaugural speeches. … We had the biggest audience in the history of inaugural speeches.”

Crowd estimates are difficult, but attendance for Trump’s speech appears to be at least 80 percent smaller than Obama’s 2009 swearing-in, 70 percent smaller than Lyndon B. Johnson’s inauguration and 60 percent smaller than Obama’s second inauguration in 2013. In terms of TV viewership, Trump ranks fifth, far behind Ronald Reagan. Even online estimates don’t boost him to “biggest audience.”

“When President Obama was there two weeks ago making a speech, very nice speech. Two people were shot and killed during his speech.”

No one was shot and killed in Chicago on Jan. 10, 2017, the day Obama gave his farewell speech, according to the Chicago Police Department.

“We should’ve taken the oil. And if we took the oil you wouldn’t have ISIS. And we would have had wealth.”

Trump, in the interview, said experts who said this would violate international law were “fools.” But there are practical problems, too. In 2015, Iraq produced about 4 million barrels a day, enough crude oil to fill more than 700 Trump Towers. Securing all of the oil, including in northern Iraq where the Islamic State exists, would require a military force larger than the one that invaded Iraq in 2003.

“We have spent as of one month ago $6 trillion in the Middle East.”

Trump is lumping together the wars in Iraq (in the Middle East) and Afghanistan (in South Asia), which together cost about $1.6 trillion from 2001 to 2014. He is also adding in estimates of future spending, such as interest on the debt and veterans care for the next three decades.

“You had millions of people that now aren’t insured anymore.”

In attacking the Affordable Care Act, Trump repeats a Four-Pinocchio whopper. Some 20 million people have gained health coverage because of the law. About 2 million people were told their old plans no longer qualified under the law, but after an uproar, most received waivers that kept the plans going until the end of 2017. In any case, anyone whose plan was terminated could buy new insurance.

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton (D) said Obamacare “is no longer affordable” and Bill Clinton said “Obamacare is crazy.”

Trump takes both comments out of context and twists their meaning. Dayton faulted Republicans for refusing to adjust the law, which he said made insurance “no longer affordable to increasing numbers of people.” Bill Clinton’s remark about a “crazy system” referred to the fact that people who did not qualify for insurance subsidies did not have a way to buy into Medicare or Medicaid.

“NAFTA has been a terrible deal, a total disaster for the United States from its inception, costing us as much as $60 billion a year with Mexico alone in trade deficits.”

— Jan. 26, remarks to congressional Republicans

The trade-deficit number is close to correct, but Trump apparently does not understand the meaning of “trade deficit.” He often suggests this money could be used to pay for his planned wall along the southern border. But that’s nonsensical. A trade deficit only means that people in one country are buying more goods from another country than people in the second country are buying from the first country. No money passes from government to government.

“We want to get our people off of welfare and back to work. So important. It’s out of control. It’s out of control.”

“Welfare” is a broad term and can apply to people who are working but receiving some government assistance. If someone is receiving means-tested assistance, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are not working.

Not all people eligible for welfare collect benefits. When they do, many of the benefits are contingent on the recipients working or actively searching for jobs, as a result of an overhaul of welfare signed into law by Clinton in 1996. And even low-income families receive some level of public assistance.

Trump is apparently unaware that participation has declined in means-tested programs such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps).

Caseloads in the TANF program have declined over the past 15 years, from about 2.4 million families to 1.6 million families. After its post-Great Recession peak in 2013, the number of people receiving food stamps has declined. In October 2016, there were 43.2 million people participating in the program, compared with 47.4 million in October 2013.

“Here in Philadelphia, the murder rate has been steady — I mean just terribly increasing.”

This is wrong. Murders have declined significantly in Philadelphia over the past decade, from 397 in 2007 to 277 in 2016; the number has been below 300 for four straight years in a city that neared 500 in 1990. Not only that, but police records reviewed by the Philadelphia Inquirer showed that in 2016, “there were fewer violent crimes than in any other year since 1979, the fewest number of property crimes since 1971, and the fewest number of robberies since 1969.”

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOF -- sorry!!! Didn't realize that was going to be ENORMOUS!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an expansion on one of the lies mentioned above.

BTW, we've got enough real actual murders here in Chicago that there's truly no need to make up more...

Trump reportedly claimed 2 were shot dead in Chicago during Obama’s speech. But it never happened.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-trump-chicago-violence-abc-interview-met-20170126-story.html

An ABC News transcript of its interview with President Donald Trump on Wednesday quoted him as saying that two people were fatally shot in Chicago while his predecessor, Barack Obama, was giving his farewell speech at McCormick Place — a claim shown to be false by Police Department records.

The passage in question was not included in the broadcast aired Wednesday night, but the network posted a longer transcript on its website that contained the remarks in question. An ABC spokesman confirmed to the Tribune on Thursday that the transcript accurately depicted the president's words, but the network did not immediately share the video with the Tribune.

Not only did no homicides take place in Chicago during Obama's address of about an hour Jan. 10, but the official Police Department records and the Tribune's crime database show that no shootings at all occurred over that time frame.

Trump apparently made the erroneous claim during an interview with ABC News anchor David Muir, who asked the president about the tweet he'd sent Tuesday that read: "If Chicago doesn't fix the horrible 'carnage' going on, 228 shootings in 2017 with 42 killings (up 24% from 2016), I will send in the Feds!"

After once again characterizing Chicago as a war zone, Trump told Muir that two people had been fatally shot in the city during Obama's speech. He didn't say where or how he'd come across the information..

"So, look, when President Obama was there two weeks ago making a speech, very nice speech," Trump said, according to the transcript of the interview. "Two people were shot and killed during his speech. You can't have that. They weren't shot at the speech. But they were shot in the city of Chicago during his speech. What — what's going on?"

According to the Tribune database, the city had no slayings for about 24 hours before and after Obama's speech, which lasted from 8:02 to 8:53 p.m. A man was shot about 20 minutes after the speech about eight miles away in the West Side's Lawndale neighborhood, but that victim survived, according to Police Department data.

Calls and emails seeking comment from the White House media affairs office were not immediately returned.

Trump, who campaigned on a law-and-order platform, has often cited Chicago's violence as an example of rampant urban crime that he would address as president.

But like many of his comments on social media and in interviews, Trump's ruminations on the city's gun violence issue have often left more questions than answers.

Trump tweet, immigration order show how president will govern

In August, Trump told Fox News host Bill O'Reilly that a "very top police" official in Chicago had told him the city's crime problem could be stopped within a week with tougher tactics.

"And I believed him 100 percent," Trump said without naming the official or expanding on what tactics he was talking about. At the time, Chicago police said Trump had not met with top brass since at least March.

In September, Trump suggested in a TV interview that Chicago "is out of control" and needed to employ controversial "stop-and-frisk" police practices to stem violence.

"We did it in New York, it worked incredibly well," Trump said about the controversial practice of making street stops. "I think Chicago needs stop-and-frisk. Now, people can criticize me for that or people can say whatever they want."

Four days after taking the oath of office, Trump's "I will send in the Feds!" remark on Twitter created confusion in Chicago, where even police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said he had "no idea what he is talking about." Some took it to mean he would send in the National Guard, a move that experts warned against, especially in the wake of a U.S. Justice Department report that found rampant civil rights abuses of citizens by Chicago police.

Trump tweets about Chicago 'carnage,' says he may 'send in the Feds!' if not fixed

In seeking to clarify Trump's tweet on Wednesday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer made a similar but less specific reference to people being fatally shot on the day Obama gave his Chicago address.

"I think what the president is upset about," Spicer said, "is turning on the television and seeing Americans get killed by shootings, seeing people be — walking down the street and getting shot down, the president of the United States giving his farewell address and two people being killed that day."

Contrary to Spicer's statement and Trump's reported remarks to ABC, no one was fatally shot Jan. 10 in Chicago. Five people were wounded that day in separate shootings on the South and West sides, but none of them died, according to Tribune data and the Police Department.

The first three shootings occurred hours before the president even landed in Chicago. At 9:10 p.m., about 20 minutes after Obama's speech concluded, a 22-year-old man was shot in the back in the 1500 block of South Kolin Avenue before being transported to a local hospital in fair condition, records show.

The final shooting took place about 10:30 p.m. when another man, also 22, was shot in the right leg in the 1800 block of South Drake Avenue, records show.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/26/reports-administration-yanks-ads-obamacare-signups/

Trump administration yanks ads for Obamacare signups

By Tom Howell Jr. - The Washington Times - Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Trump administration says it has pulled the plug on a batch of Obamacare ads. The move comes in the final days of 2017 enrollment, a critical period for the law.

Customers still have until Jan. 31 to shop for private plans, often with the help of taxpayer-funded subsidies, on the federal HealthCare.gov website that serves 39 states without their own insurance exchanges, despite GOP plans to scrap the law and replace it with “market-oriented” reforms.

But the new administration’s decision to pull back on outreach underscores how serious President Trump is about erasing his predecessor’s signature law.

“The federal government has spent more than $60 million promoting the open enrollment period,” an agency spokesman said. “HHS has pulled back roughly $5 million of the final placement in an effort to look for efficiencies where they exist.”
The development was first reported by Politico, which quoted officials from the prior administration as saying the ads were already paid for.

An HHS spokesman told Politico the move is a cost-cutting measure, though the report says the prior administration already paid for the ads.

Former Obama administration officials reacted angrily to the report, saying HealthCare.gov had been outperforming last year’s signups — 8.8 million as of Jan. 14 compared to 8.7 million last year — and that the final week usually sees a crush of customers seeking coverage.

Though Mr. Trump signed an executive order signaling he will weaken the law where he can, the “individual mandate” requiring Americans to get covered or pay a tax is still in effect.

“The Trump Administration’s outrageous decision tonight to sabotage open enrollment will mean coverage could cost more next year and insurers could drop out of the marketplace,” former HealthCare.gov CEO Kevin Counihan said. “We know that more young people enroll during the final days of Open Enrollment, but they need to be reminded of the January 31 deadline.”

“Having health insurance is still law of the land,” he added. “If the president and Republicans in Congress want to change that, they should come up with a plan and show it to the American people, rather than depriving Americans of the chance to sign up for coverage and financial assistance they remain eligible for.”

Andy Slavitt, the former director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, took to Twitter to blast “very misguided actions which purposely hurt ACA consumers & cost insurance companies money. Disappointing.”

Lori Lodes, who ran communications for CMS during prior signups periods, said the final days of enrollment typically attracted the young and healthy people critical to making Obamacare’s economics work.

As it stands, premiums on the exchanges are rising because not enough healthy enrollees entered the exchange in earlier rounds.
House Speaker Paul D. Ryan has repeatedly bolstered his case for repeal by saying the program is in a “death spiral” and cannot be saved, though health policy analysts have disagreed with that view, saying improvements are needed but that the market is not in crisis.
Obamacare’s supporters late Thursday argued the GOP will now be responsible if enrollment falls short of expectations.

On Thursday, Mr. Trump and Vice President Mike Pence told Capitol Hill Republicans on a retreat in Philadelphia that repealing and replacing Obamacare remains their No. 1 priority in the new year.

Various Republicans have produced replacement plans, though the party has yet to coalesce around a unified plan.

For now, the party is banking on a three-pronged strategy. It plans to gut the law by late February or early March by using a fast-track budget process that allows it to avoid a Democratic filibuster in the Senate, while replacing as much of the law as it can on that bill.
Republicans will then rely on the Trump administration to lift some of Obamacare mandates and rules during the transition to piece-by-piece replacement bills, although that legislation will require votes from Senate Democrats.

HealthCare.gov is still up and running. Its homepage encourages people to get enrolled, and it sent an email alert early Thursday to people who hold an online account but hadn’t enrolled for the 2017 plan year.

Its Twitter account, however, seems to signal a wind down. After multiple tweets in each of the last few days about getting enrolled, its only post on Thursday was a retweeted message about flu shots.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He can say whatever he wants. He could say the sky is red and his supporters will still be all Emperor/New Clothes and look the other way, just as long as he builds a wall and creates jobs. BUT THOSE EMAILS THOUGH. :rolleyes:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has considerably brightened my day.

From Robert Reich's FB page: "For anyone who has been trying to call the White House -- only to be redirected to the White House website or Facebook page – here’s a tool to deliver your message to Trump.

On this site, after filling our a form with your email and phone number, you’ll receive a call that connects you to one of Trump's properties -- a hotel or golf course or resort. Whatever it is, tell the Trump manager that until Trump steps away from his businesses, you consider their property no different from the Oval Office, and you want to talk about the issues that matter most -- pulling federal funding for reproductive health and women's organizations, for example, or building the wall, or repealing the Affordable Care Act.

Wall Street executives and foreign leaders use Trump's businesses to reach him, so why shouldn't the rest of us?"

https://whitehouseinc.org/

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooo much I want to say but can't...

But what I can say is this is straight crazy train crap, and meant to obfuscate the real stuff going on.

1984 indeed.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1485540252|4120700 said:
Sooo much I want to say but can't...

But what I can say is this is straight crazy train crap, and meant to obfuscate the real stuff going on.

1984 indeed.

Yup.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1485540208|4120698 said:
This has considerably brightened my day.

From Robert Reich's FB page: "For anyone who has been trying to call the White House -- only to be redirected to the White House website or Facebook page – here’s a tool to deliver your message to Trump.

On this site, after filling our a form with your email and phone number, you’ll receive a call that connects you to one of Trump's properties -- a hotel or golf course or resort. Whatever it is, tell the Trump manager that until Trump steps away from his businesses, you consider their property no different from the Oval Office, and you want to talk about the issues that matter most -- pulling federal funding for reproductive health and women's organizations, for example, or building the wall, or repealing the Affordable Care Act.

Wall Street executives and foreign leaders use Trump's businesses to reach him, so why shouldn't the rest of us?"

https://whitehouseinc.org/

Wait, this is amazing. As soon as I'm done with meetings for today I'll be calling the crap out of those places. This is going to be super fun times.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Offside comment: I've been making hotel reservations for a trip to Newfoundland this summer and when they figure out I'm American, some of them have inquired if I'm making a permanent relocation. :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember when parents said, "stop making that face, you'll end up stuck that way"? Lately I wonder if I've been rolling my eyes so much that they might get permanently stuck that way.

ch860812.gif

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most newly elected presidents several days after their inaugurations in their first TV interviews as president don't go on and on about how popular and wonderful they themselves are..... see link to article by the Washington post below, proof positive you have a bat shit crazy narcissist as leader of the free world;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/26/in-his-first-major-tv-interview-as-president-trump-is-endlessly-obsessed-about-his-popularity/?postshare=8871485461351300&tid=ss_fb-bottom&utm_term=.5a8605b660dc

And my favourite meme today;

16299022_1924952597592434_7651081824497335343_n.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1485554174|4120822 said:
Offside comment: I've been making hotel reservations for a trip to Newfoundland this summer and when they figure out I'm American, some of them have inquired if I'm making a permanent relocation. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG that's one of my fears. Not letting us in because they figured out we want to stay!!!!
If things get worse here I'm coming up with an escape plan and darn they're onto us. :errrr:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
missy|1485610226|4120999 said:
Matata|1485554174|4120822 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG that's one of my fears. Not letting us in because they figured out we want to stay!!!!
If things get worse here I'm coming up with an escape plan and darn they're onto us. :errrr:

Yes- the hubby and I have seriously discussed the possibility of moving. Then we both come to the conclusion that we are too old, and job prospects will be too grim for displaced academia.... :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results