shape
carat
color
clarity

Re mount setting idea.. THOUGHTS?

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I need to re set my 6.8×6.76 × 4mm OEC and I fell in love with a ring I found. Thinking of having a setting recreated for me, with one little change. The 2 side by side raised stones at the N,S,E,W points, doing those in Sapphires. Anyone think this would look bad, instead of all diamonds? Unfortunately, I wouldn't have any idea for sure until I seen the CAD. Because I can't figure out a way to change them in a pic lol.

jk-150front.jpg

jk-150side1.jpg

jk-150side2.jpg

jk-150profile.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that would be beautiful with the sapphire accents! :appl:

Who are you thinking of having make it for you?

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn|1419619264|3807959 said:
I think that would be beautiful with the sapphire accents! :appl:

Who are you thinking of having make it for you?
A place I found on Ebay called Diamond Zone. They do a lot of vintage reproductions. By my stone will be set local.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
You don't think my OEC would look out of place in that setting? To ME it looks vintage ish.. but others may not think so.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very vintage to me and your idea sounds beautiful!

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Here's what the ring looks like IRL in all diamonds

__1-4.jpeg

__1-5.jpeg

__1-6.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1419619886|3807966 said:
You don't think my OEC would look out of place in that setting? To ME it looks vintage ish.. but others may not think so.

I think that setting looks perfect for an OEC. I feel like I have seen it before. Is this a PSer's ring by chance? I actually have a similar design/inspiration piece that I was looking at for my OEC, but I keep waffling back and forth between it and one other more modern design. This will be a beaut and I can't wait to see it finished. :bigsmile:

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn|1419620484|3807975 said:
AntiqueLover|1419619886|3807966 said:

I think that setting looks perfect for an OEC. I feel like I have seen it before. Is this a PSer's ring by chance? I actually have a similar design/inspiration piece that I was looking at for my OEC, but I keep waffling back and forth between it and one other more modern design. This will be a beaut and I can't wait to see it finished. :bigsmile:
I don't know. I'm new to the group. I found it on a Google search and it's being sold with a center stone. So I contacted them for a quote on just the semi mount. They quoted me $2500. But I've seen a tone of Diamond Zone stuff on Ebay and contacted them for a quote and it was much less for them to make

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I helped my friend buy this ring for his fiance and it was set with an OEC. I have more photos that I can share. You should just go back to the original jeweler and have the ring made - it is hand made and the price was very reasonable.

I loved the ring so much that I made my own version of it as a RHR.
jh-tranny03.jpg
jh-tranny02.jpg
jh-tranny11.jpg

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1419626234|3808030 said:
I helped my friend buy this ring for his fiance and it was set with an OEC. I have more photos that I can share. You should just go back to the original jeweler and have the ring made - it is hand made and the price was very reasonable.

I loved the ring so much that I made my own version of it as a RHR.
jh-tranny03.jpg
jh-tranny02.jpg
jh-tranny11.jpg
Do you mind sharing with me the cost to have it made? From the original person it's $2500 for the setting. I honestly don't have that to spend.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think $2500 seems pretty reasonable for a setting that intricate, that price goes mostly towards labor and the skill of the craftsmen making the ring. Very low prices on intricate pieces often result in a loss of quality in materials and construction.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the setting going to be made by Diamond Zone located in Chicago? If so, I think Enrechi has been to their store. Maybe she knows about their settings and bench work?

The picture you posted is beautiful.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Calliecake|1419629246|3808061 said:
Is the setting going to be made by Diamond Zone located in Chicago? If so, I think Enrechi has been to their store. Maybe she knows about their settings and bench work?

Yes, Enrechi said she had 3 pieces from them and ALWAYS had a great experience. And yes. I'd be having it made at DZ but my stone set local. The original jeweler site I got the pics from quoted me $ 2500 for the semi mount and DZ quoted me just under 1k. I just don't have $2500 to spend, but LOVE that ring.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1419629563|3808066 said:
Calliecake|1419629246|3808061 said:

Yes, Enrechi said she had 3 pieces from them and ALWAYS had a great experience. And yes. I'd be having it made at DZ but my stone set local. The original jeweler site I got the pics from quoted me $ 2500 for the semi mount and DZ quoted me just under 1k. I just don't have $2500 to spend, but LOVE that ring.

I would start a new thread titled Calling Enrechi. If she thinks they can handle the job, you should be fine. It's a gorgeous ring!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay Antique Lover, Feel free to slap me now. I just now saw your other thread. I would think it would be safe to go ahead with them. I remember reading another thread where Enrechi actually went to their store in Chicago.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
It is really a lovely setting. Would you mind sharing the original jeweler?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1419627554|3808042 said:
I think $2500 seems pretty reasonable for a setting that intricate, that price goes mostly towards labor and the skill of the craftsmen making the ring. Very low prices on intricate pieces often result in a loss of quality in materials and construction.
Reasonable or not if its not in the budget, what can you do?

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
apacherose|1419727776|3808476 said:
It is really a lovely setting. Would you mind sharing the original jeweler?
Jacob K Jewlery in LA. They have 2 of these on ebay with center stones. One for 6k+ and the other 13k+

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Trust me.. I agree that $2500 is a reasonable price. But unfortunately, my husband is currently working 2 jobs to pay for a 16k loan we took out to cover IVF.. and we have a vehicle down atm.. replacing my e ring mounting was unexpected, and we just don't have that kind of money right now. I asked around about the vendor and checked the BBB.. So.. if people here think that the vendors work is good quality, then why not go with the lower price?

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you- I will save that for down the line :wink2:

I think you found a really pretty setting, looking forward to your ring!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would make sure your jeweler has experience working with milgrain, I would hate to see that messed up.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
lknvrb4|1419770721|3808658 said:
I would make sure your jeweler has experience working with milgrain, I would hate to see that messed up.
Thank you. The vendor I'm looking to make the setting is Diamond Zone. They have a lot of pieces with milgrain :) I've heard a lot of great reviews about DZ's work

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. Good luck with your project!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I agree that $2500 is very reasonable to have that ring made especially for hand made which is what Jacob K does. I didn't think they were willing to make just a setting alone but good to know.

In terms of alternates, I adore Ilya and have been to his shop many times and have attempted a custom project with him as well. I think it will be worth while for you to get a quote from David Klass as well who is really good at replicating designs.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1419734013|3808536 said:
Trust me.. I agree that $2500 is a reasonable price. But unfortunately, my husband is currently working 2 jobs to pay for a 16k loan we took out to cover IVF.. and we have a vehicle down atm.. replacing my e ring mounting was unexpected, and we just don't have that kind of money right now. I asked around about the vendor and checked the BBB.. So.. if people here think that the vendors work is good quality, then why not go with the lower price?

I was only throwing it out there bc I've gone the budget route before and not been happy. I've ended up replacing things anyway when I should have just kept on saving. If I just had to lay out that kind of money I wouldn't be worried about my ering setting, I would just wear my WB until things were better and I could get what I really wanted. I'm just speaking from my own experience, I've never been happy in the long term going the budget route on settings. I hope it works out for you though, sounds like you've had a rough time and could use some sparkly joy the brighten things up a bit.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have on numerous occasions gone the "cheaper" route ... and it always ends up costing me more as well :(

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1419800071|3808826 said:
I have on numerous occasions gone the "cheaper" route ... and it always ends up costing me more as well :(

For the most part I agree with this. However, there have been a couple of times (with jewelry items in particular) where I trusted my gut and went with a slightly cheaper route (not necessarily because my budget wouldn't allow me to spend more, but because I just felt more strongly about a less expensive option). Both times, the pieces met and even exceeded my expectations, so while it's good to follow the you-get-what-you-pay-for advice, there are those times where less expensive does not automatically mean less quality.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I'd completely understand not going cheaper if it were a random place.. but several people whom have worked with Diamond Zone and had no issues. That's what made me feel comfortable using them at a cheaper price.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't think there are any custom work examples from DZ here. There are examples of pre-made ring purchases. I think I am in an unique position where I have seen the original ring in person (got to wear it for a day), had the ring replicated with modifications, attempted a custom project with DZ and actually had him fix a number of rings for me, and also own rings for more costly designers. Anyways, different purposes and different price points - expectations just need to be set accordingly.

My replica was made super cheap by an eBay china vendor. It took me a long time to adjust the cad but over the moon with the results. The diamonds in it .. Yeah can't compare to my other rings but to others may be acceptable.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
AntiqueLover|1419734013|3808536 said:

So, is your inquiry to replace your e-ring mounting need or a want? Not that I care how you spend your money, but you've mentioned that your husband is working two jobs, etc. and if the ring is a want (as opposed to a need), then perhaps it might be wise to wait until your budget allows for a little more flexibility?

Update: I read your other threads and saw that you mentioned that your setting is cracked, so it sounds like you need to replace. Sorry to hear that:( Have your looked at ERD?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results