shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your faint/light brown diamonds!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
They're sprinkled throughout other threads - particularly light brown and darker - but looking around I've seen more than a couple "K - Faint Brown" diamonds over the last few months. Anybody have pictures? I keep hearing they're chameleons (more than similar-intensity yellow-tinted stones) and am super curious but not able to find photographic evidence. =)

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Well, let me help: P color, posted by Mausketeer from Fay Cullen

Another P color, also posted by Mausketeer from Fay Cullen

lightbrown1.jpg

lightbrown2.jpg

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Great post from Andelain about her little brown diamond (and the bedtime story that goes with it in her SMTB post! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-custom-whiteflash-ring-is-here.156794/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-custom-whiteflash-ring-is-here.156794/[/URL])
Andelain|1291153904|2783276 said:
I've always thought that light brown could be very pretty. I have a light brown stone that I'm fairly sure if off the alphabet and if it were yellow instead of brown would have set me back some serious $$$. But since it's brown I didn't pay much for it at all. I really like the color. It's at WF getting a new home right now.

BGD-recut2.jpg

BGD-recut4.jpg

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
From Davi_El_Mejor:
davi_el_mejor|1291173161|2783719 said:
It should also be mentioned that blue fluor doesn't always help a brown tinted stone face up whiter (at least not in my brownish diamond). Perhaps mine is beyond the range of lettered grading but it has pretty strong fluor and still is somewhat noticeably brown next to a white diamond. The left is about a J with strong blue fluor center is the brown with strong blue fluor and the right is a H-I with no fluor. The picture was taken in direct sunlight.
z%20dimens%20017.jpg
The diamonds fluor shot
z%20dimens%20026.jpg

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
From Yingh:

yingh|1280853924|2667482 said:
The vendor was running a summer sale, and reading everyone here talking about color diamonds, so I bit the bullet and bought my first color diamond (probrobably will be my last for a long whie due to $$$$) 8-)

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/25.htm

It is 1.04ct, SI2, oval cut, IGI certified to be light brown.

Here are the vendor pictures, including a handshot that I requested. I will say that they are pretty accurate, except a bit darker than IRL.

lightbrown3.jpg

lightbrown4.jpg

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I'll share mine. I don't have a thread on this one yet since I have it in a 6-prong temporary setting and I'm wanting to get it reset sometime (hopefully) soon but can't make up my mind on a setting. It's a 2.05ct light brown (C1 champagne) transitional/oec cut with SI1-2 clarity. My finger is a size 7.5 for reference, and the setting is 14kt white gold.

It's hard to get a good photo of it, but depending on the lighting, it changes from a peachy-golden color in incandescent lighting, brown in low lighting, and almost grey-ish sometimes in indirect sunlight.

lots to sell 109.JPG

magnified 028.JPG

019.JPG

023.JPG

jrich

Shiny_Rock
So pretty, all of these! So Xiriah, just so I make sure I understand, your is considered a fancy, as in it doesn't have a letter grade attached to it?

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my M color diamond, next to the F color melee diamonds of the setting...It looks brownish, greyish, yellowish...depending on the light :))

m%20diamond%20in%20halo%20003.jpg

rsz_1new_m_halo_pics_008.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's beautiful Naty! I love the contrast between the stone and halo!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Xiriah, beautiful! So cool to hear how many colors you've found in it. Did you get it certed, and was it given a letter grade for color, or C1, or fancy, or...? It looks lovely on your hand - can't wait to see it in its real setting someday. =)

Naty, I love the way you've played up the color with the melee - looks incredible against your skin, and really has gorgeous presence! I can't believe it's "just" an M, it looks so much more toasty and really stands out in the setting.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
And a thread from Yssie in SMTB about her OECs (now earrings) -- one of these stones is an L faint brown, the other a J or K (faint yellow)... but I don't know which one! Yssie, help? :)

Yssie|1316476292|3021010 said:
Some thoughts on the stones themselves:

I'm really enjoying playing with them ::) Loose diamonds are so much fun to fiddle with! They're so similar to my RBs in some ways, and so different in others - and in this size those similarities and differences become really striking, since the facet pattern is so easy to see - I can't say I could've made some of these observations with my 0.5ers.

I don't know what the best labels are (maybe someone with more knowledge can help me with that?), but I would call one an OEC and one more OMC-ey. The former has quite a precise snowflake pattern, the latter's faceting is much more random - it's quite amazing, really, how *different* they look up close despite being the same size/colour/genre - no lower girdle facets under the table in either!

J.OECSSA.png

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I haven't had time to get my diamond certified yet, but I was told it was a C1 champagne diamond. I'm not sure what the letter grade for it would be, but I imagine it's low on the color scale. I love seeing all the light brown diamonds posted here! :))

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock
Xiriah....I love your diamond! I have an omc that I am making payments on that is considered an odd color, so I see your stone and wonder if mine will be similar in how it changes color. Very pretty!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
My earrings are graded light brown... there are photos somewhere around here. I perceive them as warm... but not brown. Just as I would perceive an L or M as warm... but not yellow.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
evergreen|1327511712|3111418 said:
From Yingh:

yingh|1280853924|2667482 said:
The vendor was running a summer sale, and reading everyone here talking about color diamonds, so I bit the bullet and bought my first color diamond (probrobably will be my last for a long whie due to $$$$) 8-)

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/25.htm

It is 1.04ct, SI2, oval cut, IGI certified to be light brown.

Here are the vendor pictures, including a handshot that I requested. I will say that they are pretty accurate, except a bit darker than IRL.

love it.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about some cognac? :lol: :lol: :lol: (brownish-yellow!)

IMG_0205_0.JPG
IMG_0204_0.jpgIMG_0203_0.jpg

The bottom halo was made into a pendant for me.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
MissPrudential, I couldn't find pics of your earrings (the Google-fu is not with me today...) -- could you point me in the right direction, or do you have any quick pics to upload? I'd love to see them! :)

Pinto, ooh!! Love it! Any more details about the setting -- what metal is the bezel? (YG?) Looks like the halo is WG but the colors aren't showing up too well on my monitor. What a luxurious piece!

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Please forgive my unmanicured hands...
170_7073.jpg

170_7075.jpg

So, my C3 brown is sitting next to an I for color comparison.

Specs:
.66 ct round brilliant
5.42-5.43 x 3.40
62.5% depth 69.3% table
C3 champagne color

There is the slightest tinge of pink in person. I have yet to set it.

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
fun thread

oooh Xiriah - lovely stone :love:

I originally wanted a RB C2 for my ering

(as I thought that colour matched well to Crystal Golden Shadow - the Swarovki hue that I seem to always be drawn to)

but then I discovered old cuts - thanks to Pricescope :bigsmile:

and I went with my M OMC

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
and a bigger pic...

mringie.jpg

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Love seeing all these! I thought some might find this helpful -- posted by Richard Sherwood way back in 2003:

by Richard Sherwood » 06 Feb 2003 11:45
The champagne diamond color scale, also known as the Argyle Scale because the Australian Argyle Mine produces so many champagnes and originated the scale, progresses from lighter (C1) tones to darker tones (up to C7).

The tones are comparable to the following GIA grading:

C1 ("light champagne"): GIA N,O,P,Q color
C2 ("light champagne"): GIA R,S,T,U,V color
C3 ("medium champagne"): GIA W,X color
C4 ("medium champagne"): GIA Y,Z color
C5 ("dark champagne"): GIA fancy brown
C6 ("dark champagne"): GIA fancy brown to fancy dark brown
C7 ("fancy cognac"): GIA fancy dark brown

The prettiest and most valuable colors usually seem to fall in the C6 range, sometimes the C7 range. The C7 range can often be too saturated a brown, with a resultant drop in per carat price.

If a brown stone is accented with a pleasing secondary hue, such as orange, the price increases.

Had a big, forehead-smacking "Ohhhh!" moment when I stumbled on this. :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
acebruin|1327635899|3112775 said:
2.00 U-V light brown cushion...

acebruingroup04.jpg

Omg acebruin, this is just gorgeous, I really love it...I admire a lot of the rings here on PS, there are some amazing pieces here, but every once in a great while a ring will really speak to me, will just grab a hold of me, and this ring is one of them. Oh gosh, just so, so pretty.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the compliments everyone! :)) Just wanted to add a couple more photos of my diamond in the sun.

shiny 020.JPG

shiny 022.JPG

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, wow, those sparkle rays are about to laser your hand right off! ;-) Absolutely gorgeous. Do drop us a line and let us know what you find out about it if/when you do get it certed - I'm dying to know, it just looks so different in all your pictures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results