shape
carat
color
clarity

Feel the warmth! Leon Mege calibrated French cuts + AVC!

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
More French cuts? Mais oui! Voila....

Introducing my upgrade, which celebrates what DH and I call our "10 Year Togetherness" Anniversary (we got together in 2001, married in 2004).

OK Stats:

Diamond
Carat Weight: 3.04ct
Color: M
Clarity: SI2
Optical Symmetry: August Vintage
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: None
Culet: Medium
Width: 8.54mm
Length: 8.57mm
Depth: 5.62mm
Table Percentage: 54.64%
Depth Percentage: 65.76%

Link to stone: http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7517/

Setting:
Leon Mege, K-colored calibrated French cuts, 7 stones each side and one bezel-set on each side of the gallery.
Ring size: 6 7/8 (sized for my right hand)

NOTE: This stone's lineage traces directly to the illustrious rings of Wintotty and Art Nouveau - so I bow down and pay homage to both of you and your creativity. And I'm happy to join MissyDebby, AngieTaren, and everyone else in the French cut sisterhood!

That said, when I started this journey I had something completely different in mind. I was planning to have Leon make some type of setting with bezel-set step-cut sidestones like his r377 ring. When he got my stone in hand, he explained that such a setting would have an entirely different look than the rings I had been looking at. He said right off the bat that the two things that would really dictate the best setting were 1) my stone's warmth and 2) it's square, 1:1 ratio shape. He was the one who suggested a French cut layout as complementing my stone the best, and he had done a similar low-colored French layout for his wife (and sent me a pic) and remembering how gorgeous Wintotty's ring is I went with it. However, one of my criteria was to avoid pave (I don't think I'm up for the challenge!), so I asked for something different in the gallery. This was in October, and I think he had just finished Art Nouveau's amazing ring, and after briefly discussing what I did not want (i.e. metal work like scrolling), he suggested adding the French cuts to the gallery, which again I thought was perfect.

So I think of my ring as sort of a WARM sister (or offspring? Is that too weird?) of Wintotty & Art Nouveau's inspired pieces.

Well, I have a tendency to ramble but ... time for some pix!!!

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Wow - beautiful! Love the last photo! Can't wait for hand shots!

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
WOW, I love it! It's so pretty! :love:

Would you mind if I ask you something out of curiosity?? A while back I got in contact with LM about a setting for my diamond E-Ring which is a warmer color! I love the warmth and thought that in a setting it would be nice to have the warmth carried throughout so it isn't stark white F/G colored melee with a warmer diamond as a center stone. I spoke to LM and asked him what he recs as far as having a warmer center stone and how he likes to set them. Basically I wanted to know if he uses warmer side stones or melee if the center stone is warmer - bc personally it SOUNDED more appealing to have the warmth carried through the setting. He responded with "If you don't like warmth in a diamond then why did you buy a diamond that has warmth?" I explained that I LOVE warmer stones but I wasn't sure what he normally does color wise for the side stones when center is warmer. I mentioned that I wasn't sure if it would look odd with such a high contrast. His response was, "it doesn't look odd at all" & "we do it all the time." So, I left that alone and moved on. Then I was browsing his site and I saw a section that said something along the lines of: we use high clairity and color F/G VS melee and it is NOT ACCEPTABLE to ask us to use lower melee to keep cost down. My question is what if it's nothing to do with cost but what would look best...Will he or does he allow it?

How did you over come that or did he rec the warmer side stones/melee?

Love your ring!!

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
So so so beautiful!!!!! Love the warm M color. French cuts go right along, how did they ever find K color French cuts? What a talented designer. It's spectacularly gorgeous, congratulations and enjoy!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your upgrade and, more importantly, your anniversary!

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info. I think it looks amazing the way it is and I love how it flows so nicely. I don't think LM likes me ;( I dunno, maybe I wasn't clear about what I wanted. To me what you have is PERFECT and would be what I would want in my LM setting -if I were to go through him!! Did he mention anything about warmer melee as an option? I am kind of new to this so I am sorry if I use the wrong words to describe what I am referring too :oops: I know your setting doesn't have the small tiny melee but I wasn't sure if that was ever brought up? I am happy to see that at least he did it for you and maybe would for me too for my OEC RB! Was the cost any different with the lower colored french cuts on the sides? Just curious... :mrgreen: If you don't mind me asking.

ETA: BTW, thanks for the additional hand shots & pics! I am drooling over here :appl:

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much SandyCheeks!! The project took over 3 months, in part because Leon's cutter overseas had to buy low colored rough suitable for the French cut layout. Apparently one layout was cut and sent to Leon, but it was the wrong color and we had to do another one.

So, after ruining my first engagement ring wearing it next to my shared-prong chewer (aka wedding band), I had this ring sized for my right hand. I do NOT want to deform this ring the way my other one was. Here are some pix of the current arrangment.

The ring made its first public outing to Disneyland, where it went to Club 33, posed at the door, drank champagne, posed with DH, and played in the Club 33 powder room.

4hands.jpg

IMG_1300.JPG

JFK JFK RLP.jpg

Minnie33 RLP.jpg

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Envyme|1296542801|2839070 said:
Would you mind if I ask you something out of curiosity?? A while back I got in contact with LM about a setting for my diamond E-Ring which is a warmer color! I love the warmth and thought that in a setting it would be nice to have the warmth carried throughout so it isn't stark white F/G colored melee with a warmer diamond as a center stone. I spoke to LM and asked him what he recs as far as having a warmer center stone and how he likes to set them. Basically I wanted to know if he uses warmer side stones or melee if the center stone is warmer - bc personally it SOUNDED more appealing to have the warmth carried through the setting. He responded with "If you don't like warmth in a diamond then why did you buy a diamond that has warmth?" I explained that I LOVE warmer stones but I wasn't sure what he normally does color wise for the side stones when center is warmer. I mentioned that I wasn't sure if it would look odd with such a high contrast. His response was, "it doesn't look odd at all" & "we do it all the time." So, I left that alone and moved on. Then I was browsing his site and I saw a section that said something along the lines of: we use high clairity and color F/G VS melee and it is NOT ACCEPTABLE to ask us to use lower melee to keep cost down. My question is what if it's nothing to do with cost but what would look best...Will he or does he allow it?

How did you over come that or did he rec the warmer side stones/melee?

Thanks Envyme - sorry I missed your more detailed question earlier.

When Leon first got my stone and was telling me my original idea wouldn't be idea (though he would do it), we brainstormed for about 45 minutes even after I was leaning toward French cuts as he suggested. He also told me during that conversation that 1) he doesn't think lower colored melee looks good (as in, round pave diamonds specifically), and that 2) lower colored step cuts don't look good, which is what I was originally going for. He felt he could go lower with the French cuts I think because they are more antique looking and complementary to a warm stone than either pave or step cuts. He did talk about doing yellow or rose gold with champagne or pink sidestones or melee, and also about doing white melee with a yellow cup for the center stone and trying to play up the yellow, which all sounded very intriguing but too crazy for me since this is really my one "big" piece of jewelry. Also, I wanted to avoid pave because I tend to prefer low maintenance things (although I am currently babying this ring for sure!).

Also, there was no price difference going with K-color French cuts vs higher color French cuts - he said the price was the same either way, and i didn't question him because as long as I could afford it I wanted those French cuts!

Harriet - Thank you! I'm so sorry to hear about your current issues with your pieces. I hope you can get them resolved. I am taking extra care with this ring now after hearing your story and reading the Thin Rings thread - so at the very least it was a timely wake up call for clumsy me who previously rode horses, played with dogs, went shark diving, hiking, etc with my rings on. I think this new ring will come off for those types of activities and I'll just wear my warped wedding band :rodent:

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Oooh la la!! That is really stunning. I adore the warm colour. More pics, more pics!

Congratulations!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!!!!!! it looks STUNNING!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: I love it!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

The stone is absolutely perfect and it looks crazy gorgeous wonderful in that setting!!! :sun:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have one STUNNING ring. Love the warmth and french cuts. Gorgeous combination.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Holy Mother of God! It is breathtaking! :love: :love: :love: Did I mention that I love it???

AnaSpark

Rough_Rock
LoveStreet, this is so amazing! I am the one who spent some time with your stone at GoG and cannot believe how different it looks when set. This is one of the most beautiful rings I've ever seen (and one of the most beautiful stones)! Congratulations and wear it in good health!!!!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Just one thing: PERFECT! Congrats! :appl:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is stunning! I l :love: ve the size of that cushion!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love Street, thanks for the pics!!! Love love love, it is stunning! I can't tell you how much I love this look! It makes my heart
skip a beat!!! It seriously makes me want to trade in my pave for french cuts. They are wonderful!!!! In the very least, I may
have to get a eternity band! With Leon's current policies, he probably wouldn't redo my ring- but oh my gosh=do I love yours!!

I am so glad it worked out perfectly for you and you have a piece to treasure!

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Porridge, diamondrnglover, purple silk, LA Love, nadiamo, Tuckins1, herekittykitty, Miss Got Rocks, bright ice, Oranges, yenny, AnaSpark, stci, gemgirl, Luv2Sparkle - thank you all so much for your kind comments and for sharing my excitement!

The French cuts are really pretty IRL - I'm tempted to have an eternity band too! (Maybe for 10 year wedding nniversary :Up_to_something: )

AnaSpark|1296566620|2839202 said:
LoveStreet, this is so amazing! I am the one who spent some time with your stone at GoG and cannot believe how different it looks when set. This is one of the most beautiful rings I've ever seen (and one of the most beautiful stones)! Congratulations and wear it in good health!!!!

Ana Spark - I know exactly what you mean!! My stone definitely had a bit of a wonky outline - you can see it in the GOG link, and definitely on a black background it is noticeable (below is a pic that Leon sent of the K-colored French cuts - not calibrated, but rather just different sizes, that he was using for his wife's ring I think - you can see both the warmth and the wonkiness of my stone!)

I worried about its shape a little bit, but not much I could do. I was so thrilled when I opened the box - my awkward rock duckling had transformed into a swan - it was like that reality show! Amazing what some skilled "framing" will do.

Someones layout.jpg

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! I want! This is GORGEOUS!!! Wowza. I'm book marking this one. It's amazing! You are so lucky!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results