shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have an antique wedding set they'd sell?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello my fellow PSers!

After spending countless hours on rubylane, ebay and various other sites including DB I've decided to reach out and see if there is anyone who has a vintage wedding set or band collecting dust in their box and would like to gieve it a new home.

My biological father is getting married and him and his wife to be are on a very fixed income. They both come from very rough walks of life, neither are materialistic, love each other very much and really don't care about rings. They both are on disability and are unable to work and my father has a very small savings account that he would like to use part of to buy his wife to be something pretty since she's never owned anything of this nature before.

I may or may not have a band sitting in my box in storage in the states that I am going to gift him (I'm out of the country and will have to have someone go check for me) and so the 300.00 budget that he has given me would just be for her. I would really like to find her a nice vintage wedding set-and have found a couple but they are over the 300.00 range and to be honest-the ones under 300.00 aren't even worth the $. I'm not looking to get her just anything-I am a PSer after all. I'm hoping to find that needle in the haystack-a great deal-that will make my dad and her jaw drop that I managed to get something so amazing (but tasteful) in their budget.

I'm hoping for at least .2 carats but hoping to get .3 if possible-prefer an OEC and the only reason I say matching set is because it seems like that's the best way to get as much bang for the buck as I can. I've found one normal wedding band with milgrain and diamonds for 385.00 and one that is 2 rows of OEC diamonds for about 400.00-but neither seller is willing to come down in price just yet. I am trying to scrape together the funds to help out a bit-but we just got married, have immigration fee's ourselves and our looking to buy a house-all on my husbands income. So the closer to 300.00 we can be the better.

I've found many good deals in my day and have seen many PSers have some amazing rings. Anything is game as long as its good quality and pretty and can be sized to a 7. If this was 5 years ago before the price increase it would have been much easier. When I was 18 I bought a vintage set before I knew anything about jewelry and I lost it on one of my many moves-other wise I would have gifted that to them as well.

I'm really hoping that someone has something in their box that fits this bill or we find a beautiful ring and find a separate band that will work.

Thank you guys so much for your time and reading this!

kefira

Shiny_Rock
I hope somebody has something amazing for you in a corner of their jewelry box. I don't, but I was recently perusing a site where I found a few things you might consider. These rings have very little info, but maybe you could inquire about them. I hope this is ok to post here, even though I'm not offering up anything I personally own. I haven't purchased from this site (trocadero) before, and haven't seen them mentioned here either. I really don't how helpful this is, but your story touched me so I just had to take a look. If you were looking to find a wb, there are several in their database in the <$300 range as well. Best of luck!

http://www.trocadero.com/tildenwood/items/264468/item264468.html
http://www.trocadero.com/annamarcel/items/902540/item902540.html

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thank you so much for those links! I am open to people linking me to sets but for the most part I've scoured ebay/rubylane pretty good. The rings I've found that had the beautiful OEC pattern that I am looking for couldn't be sized to a 7 though. I'll check out that site and I appreciate you taking the time to link them for me :)

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow VL.. Are you looking for a solitaire OEC and a band for $300, or just an band set with OEC's in an eternity or semi-eternity style?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I have a white gold vintage band with 5 1-1.5 pt single cuts in it. I love it to death but it is too big for me. I believe it is right around a 7. I wear a 5.5 and 6 and it spins on me so I never wear it.

I can post some pictures when I get home. I'd be willing to let it go for what I paid about 2.5 years ago on DB. Once I post pics, if you're interested, you can contact me through one of my DB listings (I have a BGD micropave band up for sale right now and a tennis bracelet, both listed on DB and here in PS).

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
angeline|1326837187|3105347 said:
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow VL.. Are you looking for a solitaire OEC and a band for $300, or just an band set with OEC's in an eternity or semi-eternity style?

Sorry I tend to ramble. Any and all ideas are welcome as long as it's a well cut stone or a pretty engraved band or something similar. I know the budget makes it hard to find-I mostly find diamond chip sets of poor quality that I can't justify 300.00 for.

Ideally I'd prefer a vinage set-an OEC e-ring with a matching band. It doesn't have to be a set though-it can be a e-ring with a band that matches it well.

I'm also open to all engraved wider bands with or without stones. As long as it says married-so not a 1.5mm pave band since that could just be a RHR-if you understand what I'm trying to say lol.
Clairitek said:
I have a white gold vintage band with 5 1-1.5 pt single cuts in it. I love it to death but it is too big for me. I believe it is right around a 7. I wear a 5.5 and 6 and it spins on me so I never wear it.

I can post some pictures when I get home. I'd be willing to let it go for what I paid about 2.5 years ago on DB. Once I post pics, if you're interested, you can contact me through one of my DB listings (I have a BGD micropave band up for sale right now and a tennis bracelet, both listed on DB and here in PS).

I would love to see it! That's so sweet of you. How wide is it? Tomorrow I'll post pictures of what I'd love to find and what I've found so far. Gotta go grocery shopping now though ;-)

Eta: thank you all for your help. I really do appreciate it and I know they will too ;-)

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Another site I have bookmarked, that may have some options: http://marleneharriscol.com/. There are several rings that might fit the bill, especially if you go for an engraved look instead of diamonds. The estate/vintage/antique categories have some overlap, I think, and I don't know of a way to sort by price, but you can kind of scan through. I actually think they sell through the site I linked before, as well, but this is easier to search for a bigger variety.

Different thought, but would they consider a sapphire ring? Blue or white, either could be pretty.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I have a lovely set but it can't be resized without losing all the detail...and is only about a size 4 currently.

However, I'd be more than happy to chip in a bit if money to help with the budget, if you have a PayPal acct. :twirl:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually bought these sweet rings at a pawn shop because I liked them, but I am certain I will never really wear them. They would need to be sized. They are actually 2 different sizes.

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2575b.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326849128|3105485 said:
I actually bought these sweet rings at a pawn shop because I liked them, but I am certain I will never really wear them. They would need to be sized. They are actually 2 different sizes.

I remember that set DS! It's lovely!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
DS that is a really pretty set! Sounds exactly what the OP is looking for. I'd be happy to chip in something too VL.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1326849315|3105486 said:
diamondseeker2006|1326849128|3105485 said:

I remember that set DS! It's lovely!

Ditto!

cheers--Sharon

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker: Those rings are PERFECT! I remember you posting about them and I thought they were adorable!!! That is JUST what I was hoping to find! Ekkk! May I ask how much you be willing to part with the set for? She's a size 7 and so they would need to be sized-but that shouldn't be to expensive right? Do you have a jeweler in your area that you can take it to that would do it cheaply? The one they have in town will probably charge 50.00 per ring-so 100.00 for sizing. I'm hoping to be a bit less than that-it pays to be the only fine jeweler in town LOL!

justginger & angelline: Thank you guys SO much for your offer! That is so sweet and generous of you. I have to admit I skimmed the site last night while DH was watching a hockey game and you all brought tears to my eyes. I can't believe how loving and generous PSers are sometimes-to complete strangers no less! I know you've *known* me for a few years on PS-but to offer to do something like that for my father and his wife-they will be BLOWN away. They usually are the ones giving when they have nothing. I'm serious-my dad could have 20 and 2 shirts to his name and he'd give more than half of it away. It's just his nature and it's gotten him burned pretty bad in the past-and yet he still loves and keeps on giving!

I'm not sure if this is something diamondseeker-justginger-angelline that you guys would consider. But depending on the asking price + sizing + shipping charges of the set that you are hoping to get I know that any help (even a little) would move them to tears as it has myself. If you guys would like to help out you can send the funds to diamondseeker to help pay down the balance and to help get it sized and shipped and whatever remains my dad will have to have his payee ship you a check (which I fully understand needs to clear before shipping the ring). He doesn't have control over his money (which is why he has a small savings-he would have given it all away) but they have a program for those who get disability that they'll manage their money/bills for them and so he uses that.

I am SO excited! That set is PERFECT and JUST what I was hoping to find!

Thank you so much kerfira-I have hunted her sites a few times before and I love a few of her pieces. I checked it out a bit yesterday but didn't see to much. Thank you for the link though!

TGal-Bella-and giltter and Addy: Thank you all SO much for taking the time to search out rings that are in the budget. They are beautiful and if it doesn't work out with the set diamondseeker has I'll explore those options more. I really do appreicate it and which ever ring set they get I would like this printed out and set with it so they can read what transpired and how generous and helpful the PS community is. I have no doubt that this type of love and generosity hasn't ever been extended to them before-by strangers that they haven't ever met or spoken to no less-and it will move them both to tears. I can't express the gratitude and how touched I am by you all. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
VL it is a blessing to me to be able to help if possible.

DS2006 - if this works you can always message me from DB where my other items are listed so we can get in touch.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
angeline|1326902112|3105877 said:
VL it is a blessing to me to be able to help if possible.

DS2006 - if this works you can always message me from DB where my other items are listed so we can get in touch.

Speaking of listings: Your settings are AMAZING! I hope they sell and get good homes because they are SO beautiful! VC are pieces of art to be worn-and the prices you are asking are very reasonable IMO.

I can't wait to hear from diamondseeker to see what she wants for that set! I'm so excited-I've resisted calling my dad to tell him until we get everything firmed up a bit more but I know he's going to be thrilled as well :) :appl: :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
VL, I'm keen to see what DS has to say - I'm sure the set will make your father and his special lady very happy. It really is lovely. I'm more than happy to forward a bit to help wherever it needs to go, just let me know. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry I have been gone most of the day and just remembered to check back in! This is such a sweet project that I certainly want to do my part to help. I can check on sizing but I have no idea how much it would be here as I haven't had any gold sized in a long time. I would only ask to be reimbursed exactly what I paid for the two rings and that was $250. I will pay the shipping and do the legwork for the sizing as my contribution if someone would like to pay for the sizing or help pay for the rings.

The e-ring is about a 7.5 (estimated), so it won't cost too much to size it down, I hope. The wedding band is around a 6 or so, so it will have to be sized up. It is thin, so I hope the jeweler can size it to a 7.

vintagelover, if angeline doesn't mind, let's exchange contact info through her on db. I should be able to make it to a jeweler either tomorrow or Friday. There isn't one in my little town so I have to go maybe 25 minutes to get to one. Do confirm this with me, though, before I take them to a jeweler.

If this works out, it will be such an amazing thing! I have only been ring shopping in a pawn shop ONE time, and I just bought the two little rings because I though they were so sweet, but I really had no plans for them. They remind me that they had a history and now they may have a future! :appl:

(Angeline, I sent you a message on db with my contact info, so anyone wanting to help with this project can go through you. Thanks for offering to do that!)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
DS you are so sweet to make this all work. Bravo to angeline and others helping out, too! I hope that VL's future step-mom loves the set!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Hi DS, I only just saw this post, I have replied to you over at DB.

VL you can contact me there so we can work out the details. This is an exciting project!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are AMAZING! Just amazing!
I wanted to post here first thanking every for all the love and support that they've given and time that they've spent finding options for my dad and his wife to be. I'm going to link angelines DB listing so anyone who wants to help contribute can do so (no expectations!) but please if you do chose to do so and haven't already posted so in this thread-I would REALLY love to be able to have this thread printed out and sent along with the ring so they can see the out pouring of love and generosity shown to them and so they know who to thank. I know that they will be very very very overwhelmed and to be honest-the only thing better than her looking at her wedding set and thinking what a beautiful gift from my dad and what it represents is looking down at it knowing that complete strangers loved her enough to help out and to make her wedding set a reality. I have no doubt that she'll love it for all the years that they will be together. Thank you all so much ;( (that's supposed to be a smile with tears of joy-not sorrow lol).

Here is the DB listing for angeline.

http://www.diamondbistro.com/category/196/Rings/listings/25939/Red-Plat-Van-Craeynest-setting,-size-65.html

diamondseeker: Thank you SO much for finding this set. It's like you found it and were holding onto it and giving it a loving home until it could continue bringing it's joy to another couple. Trust me-I wish I could video tape their reaction when they receive the package. Thank you so much.

justginger and angeline: Thank you so much for helping out. The fact that it's already under budget and that there will be a bit more taken off the top AND thank you diamondseeker for driving out of your way to get the rings sized and being generous enough to offer to chip in for shipping is going to help my dad out A LOT. I know it doesn't seem like a lot of money to most people-but my dad was telling me his coat broke and it cost 30.00 to put a new zipper on and so he just went and found one for 16.00 instead of fixing it-I know that every little bit (even it if doesn't seam like a lot to most people) really is a lot for them. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

And a huge thank you to everyone else who has commented and given their time and energy to checking and posting in this thread. I wish all the love and blessings to all of you (and anyone who hasn't posted and is just reading it) and I have no doubt that they will pay it forward in another way-they out pour love and light into a very dark community and I know they will feel very loved and very very blessed that you all have done this for them. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. Bless you all!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't read this without tears in the eyes, that is for sure! What my hope is would be that we can come up with a lot of the cost but still leave a little for him to pay because I think it will mean more to him to be able to pay towards the gift for her. Everyone contacting me can tell Angeline the amount you want to contribute so that we are both accountable for the amounts. I would hope you would all trust me, but to be totally above board, we will have both Angeline and myself knowing what you send me through Paypal. I am going to a jeweler today because I am anxious to get the rings sized!!! Then I will know the total cost involved and can post it here. I am hopeful that the total including sizing is no more than the $300. I will chip in more if needed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, back from the jewelry store! The great news is that the e-ring is a size 7!!!!! :appl: The wedding band is around a 6 1/2 and she said she was not sure if it is too thin to size up or not. The goldsmith wasn't there at the time I went. Best case scenario is that the ring can be sized up normally (and I don't remember the exact number because I was asking her prices for several things), but it was $25 or less. But, if they need to redo the back shank, it will be $55. I think it will be worth that if it needs it just so it will not be so delicate. So worst case scenario, we are looking at $305 total.

I had a feeling the e-ring was close to a 7 but I thought that would be too much of a coincidence! So that was a delightful surprise! They cleaned it for me so it is ready to go. And I will pick up the wedding band next Thursday. Then we will be all set!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeweler called and said it does need a new shank and I said I would definitely want it to be done right! Also, I have heard from one PSer who wants to make a large contribution toward the project!

If anyone else wants to contribute, please try to send Angeline a message today, if possible. If we collect more than we need, we will send a restaurant (or other) gift card to the couple for the additional amount as a wedding gift.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47: Thank you so much! You all are making me cry every time I think about it (and I already wanted to cry thinking that my dad finally found an amazing woman to love and be with) and this entire situation has been a very humbling experience.

Diamondseeker: thank you SO much for taking time to get the rings sized and taken to the jeweler. I'm so happy to know that they are being taken care of 100% and won't have any thin/breaking issues after being worn for a short period of time.

I know I am repeating myself a lot but this thread took a turn that I wasn't expecting it to take. I had hoped that someone would have that perfect little gem sitting in the box waiting for it's forever home-but I never expected anything else aside from that. I've always loved my PS community and it's always held a special place in my heart but now every time I think of my dad and his wife to be it will be a warm reminder of the kindness, love and generosity that the PS community extended to my family. Bless you all! ;( ;( :appl: :appl: :twirl: :twirl: :twirl: (and I can't find the right emotie to express my feelings so I just put the ones that were the closest!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results