shape
carat
color
clarity

This is a good idea, right?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chiefatND

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are going to Europe next month. I plan to propose to her in Switzerland. My idea is to just buy the diamond and present that to her, so we can pick out the setting together in Interlaken or the Lake Geneva region (the 2 places we will be). I know she''d love to be able to put something on her finger immediately, but I''m really having a hard time choosing a ring. I''m thinking this way I don''t risk getting a setting she''s not crazy about, and it wil forever remind us of the trip. What do you think?

KET

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ket,

Awwww, Switzerland....how romantic! A few things to keep in mind. You will need to have the diamond in a temporary setting of some sort otherwise insurance companies will not cover it. Inquire about temp settings with the vendor that you are purchasing the diamond from. You may be able to get the vendor to include the temp setting.

Another thought....while it will be lovely to shop around in Switzerland for a setting, there are additional logistic issues to consider....will you look for something that can be set on the spot? Will you be able to trust the quality of work & what will happen in the instance of damage to the diamond? Will you be stayiing in one spot or traveling around? Is it possible to purchase the setting there & have the seller of the original diamond set the diamond in the new setting? I am sure there are additional possibilities for issues, but those are just a few that I can think of.

One last thought...do you want to spend a large chunk of your time in Switzerland shopping around for a setting? I''ve been to Switzerland & it''s simply gorgeous. Peronsally, I would want to spend time exploring, enjoying and experiencing the county & not worry about the setting. I might browse, but I wouldn''t make it a focus. Then again, that''s me. Only you know your love & how she will want to spend her time.

Either way, good luck & enjoy!

~NM

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
PS...love that you are going to propose there! That will be memory enough. It just doesn''t get any better than that. :)

trid316

Rough_Rock
I would have to agree. You DEFINITELY want to put the diamond in a temporary setting. This is my personal opinion of course, but if you spend a lot of time and money to pick out the perfect diamond that you know she will love, splurge on the extra $100 for a plain, solitare band that will hold the diamond for the time being. This way, when you present it to her in Switzerland, she will be able to put it on instantly and be awstruck!! And then get to stare at it the rest of the trip
36.gif

I also agree that it''s important to have it put in a temporary band for insurance purposes. Make sure you have it insured for it''s full value BEFORE YOU LEAVE!! We''ve all see "Meet the Parents"!!!

Also, I know a lot of jewelers will provide you with a $100/$150 temporary band to set the diamond in, until you get back. Then, when you pick out the ACTUAL band together, they will credit that money towards the new band purchase. So you''re not out ANYTHING. I truly think this is the way to go.

Just from speaking to my GF, I know that it would kill her EVERY SINGLE day to NOT be able to wear the diamond that you proposed to her with, and to have to wait til you got back to the states, and picked out another. And a lot of time, those take a couple weeks to be set as well. So at least give her something to wear for a while. I have also known friends who ended up just like the plain solitare band..... Who knows.......

If you have any other questions, don''t hesitate.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results