shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think it's safe to go to China?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
My so and I are planning on going to China the end of June for him to meet my family there.
Now with the growing news of bird flu it does worry us a bit and we wonder if it's safe for us to go or not.
We do have the tickets booked but it can be returned.
Any advice?

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I think it's too early to tell. From what I've read, it's really only become known for maybe 3-5 weeks. It could fizzle out by the time you go, or it could be widespread to the point that the CDC recommends against traveling to China unless necessary. Personally, I'm paranoid about these things so I would likely reschedule. How long do you have to make the decision?

SMC

Ideal_Rock
minmin001|1366666606|3432407 said:
My so and I are planning on going to China the end of June for him to meet my family there.
Now with the growing news of bird flu it does worry us a bit and we wonder if it's safe for us to go or not.
We do have the tickets booked but it can be returned.
Any advice?

I'm pretty sure that the flu scare will have subsided by June. If you're traveling to big cities and you don't plan on interacting with livestock, I think that you're pretty safe. Cooked poultry is safe. I lived in Hong Kong during the first bird flu scare and emerged unscathed. The only people that got it handled live chickens regularly. The governments in major cities are pretty ruthless when it comes to killing birds so I think that you will be ok.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I changed my vacation plans at the last minute. Your is different because you have family there. It's not just the bird flu but pollution and water contamination. It barely made a news ripple but they found many MANY dead pig carcasses disposed in the river that feeds Shanghai and the surrounding towns. Hog farmers just threw dead and diseased pigs as a matter of convenience. The Chinese Government did nothing, claiming the water is safe to drink. The wealthy buy bottled water but the masses cannot afford to do so. :nono:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
my parents are very kind and booked the flight using their mileage so in order to get the miles back we would probably need to tell them 1 months ahead. Also since it will be the first time for my SO to go to china, I'm not sure if he has the immune system to protect himself.
Chrono I have also read about the pigs news awhile ago. It's sad that China is so forces on economics growth and not care about the environment which will for sure come back hunt us and will cost alot more painful problems, money and time to recover.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, very sad indeed. He can take precautions by only drinking (and brushing teeth and eating food cooked with) bottled water and bringing along anti-diarrhea medication from the US or wherever you currently are. If you see your medical practisioner beforehand, he can recommend the necessary immunzation needed and also travel pills you might need.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minmin,

My DH and I are going to China for a 2 week tour as our honeymoon at the end of May. We'll be your guinea pigs. If you don't see any activity from me mid June on, be :errrr: and think hard about your decision. :tongue:

We plan on bringing anti-diarrhea meds and antibiotics just in case. DH is worried about the bird flu, about N. Korea, squat toilets, and about leaving our two furbabies behind, even though my mom will be popping in in the AM, and my dad in the PM. Me, I try to assuage him with humor, "Honey - it's our honeymoon - we die, we die TOGETHER!!!!!" :roll: :lol:

Yeah - I'm not the warmest or fuzziest wife... I leave the warm and fuzzies to DH!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
just make sure your DH is up to date on his shots. Only drink bottle water and that includes when brushing your/ his teeth and of course stay away from farms. You should be fine.

I went to China in 2008 and loved it. I wish I could go back with my DH!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1366728311|3432900 said:
Minmin,

My DH and I are going to China for a 2 week tour as our honeymoon at the end of May. We'll be your guinea pigs. If you don't see any activity from me mid June on, be :errrr: and think hard about your decision. :tongue:

We plan on bringing anti-diarrhea meds and antibiotics just in case. DH is worried about the bird flu, about N. Korea, squat toilets, and about leaving our two furbabies behind, even though my mom will be popping in in the AM, and my dad in the PM. Me, I try to assuage him with humor, "Honey - it's our honeymoon - we die, we die TOGETHER!!!!!" :roll: :lol:

Yeah - I'm not the warmest or fuzziest wife... I leave the warm and fuzzies to DH!

Lol PintoBean. I hope you guys have a fun and safe trip =)
I was planning to go crazy on eatting in China but guess I will need to be extra careful now~ :tongue:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys, we will keep in mind of all the tips and hopefully it will be just fine =)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear! Thanks for the teeth brushing tip! I didn't think about that one!

Another thing I'm going to have to be conscious of is NOT opening my mouth in the shower.

I AM nervous about the heat. :D I am always in an office all year round, so I feel like I only experience one type of climate year round.

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
I just came back from China (on Friday) from a month long trip. I think the bird flu risks will depend on where you go. It didnt bother any of my relatives or locals from what I can see (I visited Guangzhou). They just said to make sure the chicken was thoroughly cooked. I did partake in nearly every chicken dish and am fine. However, I wouldnt really eat at street stalls that your relatives havent vouched for, as there are issues such as recycled oil (or so I was told).

Ditto what everyone is saying about drinking only bottled water, but I had no issues using tap water or well water to brush my teeth with. I also had no issues with hot tea in the restaurants since they've boiled the water. The only time I had food poisoning was when I ate some fresh pineapple that the vendor had cut up.

I hope you have a fun time! This is the 2nd time I visited China (since our family immigrated here in '91) and I have to say, it really made me appreciate the "luxuries" of home (washing machines, clothes DRYERS!!!, clean public washrooms, etc.)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1366680653|3432579 said:
I changed my vacation plans at the last minute. Your is different because you have family there. It's not just the bird flu but pollution and water contamination. It barely made a news ripple but they found many MANY dead pig carcasses disposed in the river that feeds Shanghai and the surrounding towns. Hog farmers just threw dead and diseased pigs as a matter of convenience. The Chinese Government did nothing, claiming the water is safe to drink. The wealthy buy bottled water but the masses cannot afford to do so. :nono:
b/c the Chinese governments are so corrupted.you give them a few bucks and they'll look thee other way.Bottled water are safe to drink??.. I heard some of them are re-bottled from who knows where.. :knockout:

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
I think there are only certain brands that are considered "safe"

SMC

Ideal_Rock
royalstarrynight|1366739083|3433011 said:
I think there are only certain brands that are considered "safe"

I think you have to check to see that there is a seal breaking when you open the bottled water. There have been incidents where people collected old bottles and refilled them with tap water. This was like 20 years ago, but I can still see how the same tactics could still be used today. I think if you are buying from a store, not from the street kid selling it from a basket on the corner, it should be totally fine.

I think that some people have a view of China as a third world country, and it's true that some villages aren't very modernized, but the bigger cities are safe for tourists. I think the biggest cities like Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou are often more advanced than the cities here in the US. I have friends (both American and Chinese) that live in China, and judging from their FB posts, they are living in a fancier lap of luxury than I am. It's a whole different standard there when you have money and when you don't. The pollution in Beijing is worrisome for the long term, but I doubt that you'll be there long enough to develop any chronic conditions.

I moved from San Francisco to Hong Kong in 6th grade and lived there until I graduated from high school. While there, I had the chance to travel throughout China and SE Asia. I still go back to Asia at least twice a year and have never felt the need to cancel a trip, even during SARs, bird flu scares, and pig flu scares. If you use your common sense, you'll be fine!

OP, I assume that you're not slumming it in China. Otherwise, you might be missing out if you don't go! Life is too short to not take calculated risks, and the risk here seems minimal to me. Just bring some Imodium and packages of Kleenex for emergencies.

Totally agree about the heat and humidity in the summer- luckily most places have air conditioning!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH is headed to China again (3rd or 4th trip) to Shanghai next month on business and he advised me not to go due to the air pollution. It was getting better for a while there in Shanghai around the Olympics but it's gotten worse again. A collegue with family in Shanghai aren't touching the local water supply either. He said Beijing's air pollution is even worse.

It's not just that the seal of the bottle has been tampered but where the (original) source of water is from as well. Basically, imported water is your best bet.

Locals have strong immune systems, while locals who've moved away for a while, then returned aren't as hardy.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1366733122|3432955 said:
Sarahbear! Thanks for the teeth brushing tip! I didn't think about that one!

Another thing I'm going to have to be conscious of is NOT opening my mouth in the shower.I AM nervous about the heat. :D I am always in an office all year round, so I feel like I only experience one type of climate year round.

that reminded of the one episode in sex and the city :bigsmile:

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
I know someone who is currently there and due to return in early summer. All of the precautions mentioned in the other posts are very good and should be followed. Better safe than sorry. Another red flag is the current political situation in North Korea...not sure if travelling in and out of China will be as per usual in a worse case scenario. Just more to think about...

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
Definitely get a script filled out with antibiotics from your GP before you go and some regular cold/flu meds. We didn't get food poisoning when we went but we did get the regular flu even with the vaccine. I second the notion about only brushing teeth with bottled water. Some hotels will provide you with complimentary bottled water but it's so cheap you can stock up. I also take back up toothbrushes in case! (paranoid). Also most mid range hotels/malls/ and upmarket restaurants now have regular toilets so no problems there!

PS: Make sure you don't get ripped off by taxis and "private" taxi drivers at the main airports. We got stung even with native speakers in our group..they had paid off the "officers" standing security at the taxi rank but we were so tired we just ate the extra fare instead of arguing. Work out how much a trip to where you're going into the city should be before going.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - great tips Venti!

Minmin - I know EXACTLY what you're talking about with Sex and the City - lol :lol: And thank you for starting this thread. I swear, you can find knowledge about ANYTHING on PS!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I knew bird flu was an issue, but I didn't realize that China had become so bad on so many other levels! Was it always this way that the water was not safe to drink?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is common when traveling to foreign countries to not drink the tap water. It has been 17 years since I went to China but we were very careful to only drink bottled water (including brushing teeth) and we were never sick.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1367037034|3435455 said:
Wow, I knew bird flu was an issue, but I didn't realize that China had become so bad on so many other levels! Was it always this way that the water was not safe to drink?
you think drinking waters are bad ?? Try to find some safe baby formula over in China... :rolleyes: American made baby formulas are in high demand in China.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1367037920|3435470 said:
minousbijoux|1367037034|3435455 said:
you think drinking waters are bad ?? Try to find some safe baby formula over in China... :rolleyes: American made baby formulas are in high demand in China.

Aha! It makes sense now!

A while ago (my memory re: time is poor, but I think it was a few months back), the stores here had sold out of Karicare, a type of baby formula. Turns out that all of the Asian college students were buying it by the pallet and shipping it home. I thought it was a function of price, but it seems that safety had a role, too.

BTCA

Rough_Rock
Hi guys. I've been lurking around PS for a while and randomly came across this topic so I thought I'd chime in.

I actually live in Shanghai currently and I feel that it's plenty safe, even with the bird flu outbreak. I was born and raised in California (Bay area) and just moved out here in January this year so I don't have the strong Chinese immune system the natives have haha. And I've been perfectly fine. I only drink bottled water, mostly avoid ice, don't eat much street food and have had no issues.

Since the whole bird flu issue popped up, I've completely avoided eating chicken, just because I'm being extra cautious. But no one here seems to be freaking out over the issue either. There are a few extra face mask wearers and the local specialty chicken restaurants are slower than usual but besides that, I haven't noticed a thing.

Hope you have a great trip! The weather here is gorgeous right now (minimal smog ;-) ) but it will definitely be hot in June however. :)

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
BTCA|1367378186|3437956 said:
Hi guys. I've been lurking around PS for a while and randomly came across this topic so I thought I'd chime in.

I actually live in Shanghai currently and I feel that it's plenty safe, even with the bird flu outbreak. I was born and raised in California (Bay area) and just moved out here in January this year so I don't have the strong Chinese immune system the natives have haha. And I've been perfectly fine. I only drink bottled water, mostly avoid ice, don't eat much street food and have had no issues.

Since the whole bird flu issue popped up, I've completely avoided eating chicken, just because I'm being extra cautious. But no one here seems to be freaking out over the issue either. There are a few extra face mask wearers and the local specialty chicken restaurants are slower than usual but besides that, I haven't noticed a thing.

Hope you have a great trip! The weather here is gorgeous right now (minimal smog ;-) ) but it will definitely be hot in June however. :)

Thank you BTCA, that made me feel much better. I will also show this to my SO so he can feel a little better too~ =)

BTCA

Rough_Rock
You're welcome minmin001! I'll be sure to let you know if anything changes around here (positive or negative) by June.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
BTCA|1367417526|3438163 said:
You're welcome minmin001! I'll be sure to let you know if anything changes around here (positive or negative) by June.
Thank you. that will be very helpful since I'm going to Hangzhou which is right next to Shanghai =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results