shape
carat
color
clarity

This might surprise a few people

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have not paid one iota of attention to anything political, lately. I've not seen any of the RNC, and have not read any of the news online, or watched news on tv. You know, the TX primary was so late this year, there was no choice left to us. Well, if we ever had a choice . . .

When things are a foregone conclusion, what difference does it make?

And, if things for both parties are pretty much settled, and all they have to do is stick pins in each other's voodoo dolls from here to the election, WHY spend millions on conventions?

The usual dog and pony show is meant to impress . . . who? Not me. I'm not listening.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Color me surprised, Holly! YOU???? :lol:

This election season has been especially mild until this point where I live (California). Our state is such a foregone conclusion that neither candidate has spent any money on television or print advertising locally. It's been pretty nice, actually.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not watch nor listening. I can't wait till Nov comes so it will all be over :bigsmile: :wink2:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1346340456|3259790 said:
I have not paid one iota of attention to anything political, lately. I've not seen any of the RNC, and have not read any of the news online, or watched news on tv. You know, the TX primary was so late this year, there was no choice left to us. Well, if we ever had a choice . . .
Holly
i thought you went to the RNC... :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fleur-de-lis|1346340865|3259796 said:
Color me surprised, Holly! YOU???? :lol:

This election season has been especially mild until this point where I live (California). Our state is such a foregone conclusion that neither candidate has spent any money on television or print advertising locally. It's been pretty nice, actually.
yep,our votes don't count... ;(

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1346340456|3259790 said:

When things are a foregone conclusion, what difference does it make?

And, if things for both parties are pretty much settled, and all they have to do is stick pins in each other's voodoo dolls from here to the election, WHY spend millions on conventions?

The usual dog and pony show is meant to impress . . . who? Not me. I'm not listening.

Holly, I could not agree more. So the real question is how long will it take the two parties to figure out that they've lost the American people, or is that what they've really wanted all along - to create a political machine divorced from, say, opinions of real people, and just carry on?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
You would think, at some point, that a remarkably ordinary Joe would emerge with some common sense and know-how, gather some momentum, and garner some serious money with which to run, and we would once again live in a world where our political processes made some kind of sense.

I'm not holding my breath, however. The tail has wagged the dog for so many decades, it's almost impossible to imagine how our forefathers envisioned our elections.

But this is a most dismal election year.

Frankly, I don't think either side could find their way with search teams, high beams, and a pack of bloodhounds. THIS is the best we could do?

Maybe I'll close my eyes and play pin the tail on the donkey (ass) when I go in the booth in November. It makes as much sense as anything else.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1346348659|3259873 said:
Maybe I'll close my eyes and play pin the tail on the donkey (a$$) when I go in the booth in November. It makes as much sense as anything else.
oh no,not the donkey.. :lol:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, I'm surprised, Holly!

I miss the political talk in AW during the last election.

I'm not voting for Romney but I've watched sooooo much CNN and MSNBC since before the primaries to see who would be running against Obama. The mud-slinging then and even now is getting (or has gotten) really old. I can't wait until election day.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
You would think, at some point, that a remarkably ordinary Joe would emerge with some common sense and know-how, gather some momentum, and garner some serious money with which to run, and we would once again live in a world where our political processes made some kind of sense.

IMO very unlikely to happen as long as Super PACs are around.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
thbmok|1346368460|3260037 said:

IMO very unlikely to happen as long as Super PACs are around.

You are absolutely right. I'm sure the Founding Fathers would not be amused at our current predicament.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1346363679|3259999 said:
Yup, I'm surprised, Holly!

I miss the political talk in AW during the last election.

I'm not voting for Romney but I've watched sooooo much CNN and MSNBC since before the primaries to see who would be running against Obama. The mud-slinging then and even now is getting (or has gotten) really old. I can't wait until election day.
i will let you know who is gonna win the election on Sunday November 4, 2012.. ;))

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
................ Frankly, I don't think either side could find their way with search teams, high beams, and a pack of bloodhounds. THIS is the best we could do?................

my sentiments exactly.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Frankly, I'm jealous. Working at a newspaper, I can't escape all of it.
They're all a bunch of clowns. And that's the nicest word I can come up with.
Like my mom says, who else gets to vote on their own salaries, health care, retirement, etc? ;(

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
texaskj|1346384857|3260117 said:
Like my mom says, who else gets to vote on their own salaries, health care, retirement, etc? ;(

Just about everyone sitting at the top of any institution?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you, Holly. I haven't paid much attention to any of it, either. We don't subscribe to cable so we don't watch television, and I never seek out news on national politics through any other medium.

I am only interested in local politics these days. I care about the city I live in and since we will be raising our new daughter here for at least a few years want to make sure it is the best possible environment, so I do pay attention and participate (and vote) in the happenings locally.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I don't follow much of the elections since we got rid of cable and packed up our TV (netflix is our go to if we want to watch anything-which is rare) and since I'm from the US originally and did vote in the last election (I'm quite disappointed that I even bothered but it was my first time being able to vote) we've been discussing how this "show" is nothing but a huge joke. Most of the American people get their info from the news-which is about as bias as it gets-much of the younger generation knows more about celebrities than about the history behind most of the politicians (how they voted while in office/policies they said they did/didn't support and followed/didn't follow through with/etc).

My husband made a good point and said that in order to make a statement (instead of just clicking a box since we're damned if you do-damned if you don't) is no one vote. I told him that would be a great idea expect politicians are still allowed to vote-so even IF all the American people didn't come out and vote to make a statement someone would STILL win (and be excited about it-like LOOK I'm the president you voted me in-LMAO) since all of their committee members/party members/campaign organizers would go out and vote.

It's a sad world I'm bringing my child into. We can't even get GMO food labeled thanks to corporations and lobbyist who clearly don't care about the public's best interest-just their bottom dollar. :((

And Holly S-even IF there was Joe who wanted to get elected into office and make a difference he'd still have to deal with trying to get his policies passed-which without support is impossible. He also would have to get enough funding (which didn't they JUST do away with the limit on the amount you can spend campaigning? I thought there used to be a max but not anymore?) to run-and get the news stations behind him to give him exposure-which is highly unlikely to happen.

I usually don't participate in threads like this but I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who feels ;( :nono: :errrr: :???: :shock: :o :oops: but at least we don't have a TV so I don't have to listen to it everyday-nor do we get the paper.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what the heck with Eastwood ?... :confused: :wacko: :wacko:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1346432232|3260403 said:
what the heck with Eastwood ?... :confused: :wacko: :wacko:

Yeah, that was a little weird.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I would pay more attention if Rubio had been selected as the VP candidate. He looks so cuddly.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs jam|1346452647|3260612 said:
I would pay more attention if Rubio had been selected as the VP candidate. He looks so cuddly.
yeah,i thought Rubio was the obvious choice.IMO, it doesn't really matter Ryan or Rubio.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I get tired of media people saying that the public is apathetic.

We're not apathetic, we're powerless. :cry:

When you're powerless, it's hard to muster any enthusiasm . . .

I'm actually considering skipping the voting altogether this year. I worked hard to get my vote, and my citizenship, but this year, I'm seriously considering just not going.

I saw a bumper sticker that explained it to me; "Voting. If it was really important, they wouldn't let us do it".

And another one "I don't vote, it just encourages them".

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
IMO the strongest statement you can make to show your dissatisfaction is a protest vote.

Not voting simply shows that you are OK with being apathetic / powerless. And it leaves room for anyone to spin the low voter turnout anyway they want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results