clarity

Pretty Woman moment at local jewelery store

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2 said:
Dancing Fire said:
thing2of2 said:
Tiffany sales associates are paid by commission. My sister's coworker worked at Tiffany in LA and once made a $37k commission on an engagement ring. However, he also said it was the worst place he had ever worked and he gained literally 100 pounds in a year from stress eating. The other salespeople were horribly backstabbing, would steal customers from each other, etc., and management was very high pressure.
i need to get a job at Tiff :!:

You and me BOTH! We'd be the Dream Team! You'd help the Republicans, I'd help the Democrats! :cheeky:
they do need your help this Nov... :bigsmile:

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
oranges said:
Does anybody know if Tiffany employees get paid commission? I get treated like crap every nearly time I walk in there.

Ditto. The one in Chicago is two floors ($$$$ stuff on the first floor) and the 2nd floor people were super super nice to me, but the 1st floor people didn't even acknowledge my presence even when I was right near them and talking about the rings in the case...
We also walked into Cartier that day and they were really pleasant even though I was clearly not buying. Just shows you don't need to treat people like crap regardless of if they'll spend money.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It hasn't happened to me lately but when I was 7 years old I went to a gemshow with my mom and she told me she would buy me an emerald. I was browsing around by myself and found a vendor with emeralds. I asked her how much her emeralds were (they were tiny like .25 even to my 7 yo eyes) and she snootily replied, "Oh Emeralds are very expensive, you couldn't afford them". I think I ended up getting a topaz from someone else. I was pretty offended even as a child. I don't know why you would even treat a child like that. She doesn't need to be told she made a huge mistake, it is already evident in her paycheck.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire said:
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:
i wanted to try on a Rolex watch and the SA said...are you ready for Rolex?

:errrr: Are you serious? Did you tell her that your Rolexes are your 'every day' watches and you only wear the good stuff when you're in a good mood? Btw, my dad loves the watch in your avatar... Very elegant. Probably cost more than that Sales Assistant's car... If only she knew!
i always get better service when i wore my Rolex... ::)

Your Rolex is nice but that Lange & Sohne is amazing. Do you have any wrist shots of it?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire said:
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:

:errrr: Are you serious? Did you tell her that your Rolexes are your 'every day' watches and you only wear the good stuff when you're in a good mood? Btw, my dad loves the watch in your avatar... Very elegant. Probably cost more than that Sales Assistant's car... If only she knew!

SO's is really into watches...his collection is absurd. What kinds are you into?

Sorry for the threadjack!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When DH and I built our house we had about $1500 to spend on a dining room table. It was summer so we were in shorts, singlets and flipflops, so pretty casual. We walked into a moderately poshy furniture store, and after looking around for a bit, asked a SA if they had anything in the style we were looking for. The silly old bat peered down her nose at us through her pince-nez and stated that "oh no, we don't stock anything under $100", without having a clue as to how much we planned to spend. DH quietly spat the dummy, we popped next door and found exactly what we wanted, and paid cash for it, having been served by a superb young man. DH made a point of waving the receipt at the old biddy in the first store on our way past... very childish, but he said it felt good :rolleyes:

Kinda the opposite of the OP, but I used to work in a jewellery store. When I was 22 DH and I were engaged, and DH surprised me with my 1.55ctw 3-stone e-ring... so not massive by any stretch, but beautiful diamonds and biggish as far as the 'norm' around here goes, particularly for someone my age... aaaaanyway, I was at work, and I welcomed some old snoot (I'm rather scathing of the women that feature in my stories, can you tell? :Up_to_something:) to the store and asked how I could be of assistance. She looked at my e-ring and POKED IT, which really peeved me to start. She then proceeded to tell me she was on the hunt for a ring just like mine, but with real diamonds, and far bigger ones than mine, at that. My boss was behind me and had to leave the room after she began snorting uncontrollably :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

On the same note, I've sold thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of diamonds to an elderly couple who came into the store regularly in their ugg boots, with her in her nightie, who at face value appear to barely have a red cent to their names. Never judge a book! It infuriates me.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Steal said:
Dancing Fire said:

:-o :rolleyes:

I would have stuck him/her out on the ledge and said - what did they mean by that? Let the squirming begin....

To give the benefit of the doubt.... there is a 3 day event (equine related, one day dressage, one day cross country, one day show jumping) named Rolex.... could they have meant are you prepping for it? Generally the tradition is to wear a Rolex watch to the show.... if you have one...

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I think I've posted my pretty woman moment, but it was reversed rolls. I had a customer try to tell me what I could and could not afford once. I told her what I DID buy.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire said:

I do this. I have a cz in my e-ring but the usual stores can't tell by just glancing - so I get VERY good service because they think I can afford The Big Bling :tongue:

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Back when I was shopping for a new setting and wedding band, I had the hardest time getting places to take me seriously. I look fairly young and have irreverent hair according to DH (short and spiky :mrgreen: ). I was often blatantly ignored, and was once told that I couldn't possible afford anything.

I resorted to taking my mother or DH with me most of the time. :sick: So stupid.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany salespeople are on commission. They're paid a small hourly wage but commissions make by far most of their pay -- honestly don't think the salary part is as much as you'd get on unemployment. Your sales numbers, if not good enough, can get you fired, too, as at any retail store.

In the store where I worked (& I'd bet all are pretty much the same) there was much friction between the gem-jewelry sellers and the non-gemological-degree salespeople who were not allowed to sell the expensive jewelry. There was a definite hierarchy in how management treated those 2 groups. Often the gem salespeople played on the internet, the phone, etc., & weren't very quick to help customers, but the guys "in back" would lose their jobs if they stepped in. Strictly forbidden -- in some ways, good because they don't want people who do not know gems to tell a customer something wrong. But management was very lax & forgiving with the "upfront" folks who were often lazy. Of course, some of them were great.

BUT -- it is a BIG thing in Tiff training not to be snotty to anyone, ever. Especially due to how they look. The lesson happened about 20 yrs ago: a guy wandered around the jewelry cases in the NYC store, wearing crummy old torn jeans, a ratty t-shirt, filthy sneakers, 2-day beard before it was cool. Had a hard time getting a salesperson to even look at him & whoever helped him was very arrogant, thinking she was wasting her valuable time. The man bought nothing but went to the Pres. of Tiff's, whom he knew, & complained. He was from the Mott family, heir to the Mott's applesauce & canned fruit fortune & Tiff's lost a longtime big customer; he never shopped there again. That example was always used in training & was a good one. Many times salespeople sold mega-jewels to customers who looked like they slept under a bridge.

Sometimes we see what we expect to see, though. Do you feel a little intimidated when you first walk into Tiffany? They sell Dignity, it's part of their schtick. Salespeople are hired on the basis of Presentability, knowledge of gems, etc., not for sparkling personalities. Do not assume they're looking down at you -- they may be bored, somewhat lazy, or simply unhappy working there -- it's the very worst working environment I've ever encountered. Also, if you're very young, they may peg you as "only looking." Since Tiff's has become a mass mall jeweler w/all the heart bracelets, etc, rafts of young kids come in & browse for ages w/no intention of buying anything. It is annoying because a good customer may come in while you're helping the teenager & somebody else makes the commission. Most often, if you are yourself & don't worry what they're thinking of you, they will thaw out & be ok too. One of the essentials of store sales is getting serious browsers to come back, even if they don't buy this time.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411 said:
Steal said:
Dancing Fire said:

:-o :rolleyes:

I would have stuck him/her out on the ledge and said - what did they mean by that? Let the squirming begin....

To give the benefit of the doubt.... there is a 3 day event (equine related, one day dressage, one day cross country, one day show jumping) named Rolex.... could they have meant are you prepping for it? Generally the tradition is to wear a Rolex watch to the show.... if you have one...
nahh...from the tone of his voice he meant....can you afford a Rolex?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:

Your Rolex is nice but that Lange & Sohne is amazing. Do you have any wrist shots of it?
wrist shot of my 3 watches.

3042az.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember said:
Dancing Fire said:
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:

SO's is really into watches...his collection is absurd. What kinds are you into?

AN...i love mechanical watches.my 3 favorite brands are Patek Philippe,JLC and Lange & Sohne.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I had the anti-Pretty Woman moment recently. I was dressed like crap and my friend and I walked into Harry Winston. My friend is 6'11, African American and athletic looking. The SA must have thought he was in the NBA or my bodyguard because he could not have been nicer and let me try on 100ks worth of jewelry.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Weirdly enough I tend to get really good service in high end places, almost w/out exception... I can't even remember one "Pretty Woman" moment in fact. I really don't get it- I certainly don't look like, um, I'm going to spend much. I wandered into a Harry Winston's once wearing my tatty Converse, with my (large, plentiful) tattoos showing and wearing my usual silly goth gear that I tend to wear on my days off (plus I was by myself and obviously not shopping with anyone who could be suspected of being a prospective fiance with a fat wallet). And they let me play with anything I wanted, even the super expensive goodies. Same with Tiffany's. It was pretty funny actually. I don't think it's that they notice my jewelry- I've usually had that same experience even when i wasn't wearing my nicer stuff.

I'd say it was that Seattle is pretty low-key and nobody dresses nice very much, but I tend to look at jewelry or expensive boutique stuff more when I'm out of town actually.

I love your response Nashville. If I ever have to bust it out I definitely will!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I've had different moments at jewelry stores. I've actually always had pretty decent experiences at T&Co. The last time I went with DH we weren't given any attention at first, but upon asking to speak to an SA, we were treated quite well. DH went into the Michigan Ave store in Chicago once to buy me a pair of tiny aquamarine studs and he said when he got to the store and showed them a picture of the earrings he was looking for on his iphone, the SA said "oh. Yes. Those are upstairs" in kind of a snobby way.

There have definitely been some "Pretty Woman" moments. Last week DH and I went to a local store to see about getting my DBTY bracelet shortened. The man was quite snotty with me for awhile. He showed us a few pieces they had that I was interested in and when I asked "Where are your diamonds graded? GIA? AGS? Do you get any estate pieces? Any OECs, OMC's or transitional cut diamonds?" He said "Who ARE you?" I said "Oh, diamonds are kind of a passion of mine." He really started showing me some nice pieces after that. Hehe.

I have been offered a job at a maul jewelry store before. That was pretty flattering!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire said:
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:

wrist shot of my 3 watches.[/quote

hubba%20hubba.gif
:love: :love: :love:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Travel goddess.... I have been accused of being a spy because I am a knowledgable shopper lol no joke! He actually used that word and demanded to know which store I came from haha I laughed and told him I was flattered. Every time I went in there after that I would say "still not a spy!" lol

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has never happened to me, but I agree that it is very rude! I'm not sure how I would react if placed in this situation, but it would be hard to bite my tongue for sure.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been on both sides of the jewelry counter, in settings from department stores to high end independent stores, from the time I was 18 and most recently when I was 31. I never, ever, discriminated against someone based on their appearance, ever. Perhaps that's why I was very successful throughout my stints in retail? ;)) My sales experiences took place in the midwest, from small towns in southern Indiana to larger cities in Kentucky, to affluent suburbs of Chicago.

I've sold jewelry pieces from $20 sterling silver or costume things to $30k sales of engagement diamonds plus settings to all kinds of people. I've experienced some surprising sales, of course, from people who could barely speak coherent sentences, with booze on their breath, who spent thousands of dollars, to people who were very well dressed and well-spoken who haggled over the tiniest of details on a $50 piece. You just never know, and the mark of a great salesperson is knowing that you must take ALL clients seriously. To me, there was never a need for discrimination; every client who walked through the door was a potential client no matter how much they wanted to spend. Consumers who actually take the time and effort to walk into a business deserve equal treatment and that's what they always received from me. Never once in my retail career did I have a complaint or anything less than a positive comment from clients. It's pretty sad to me that other salespeople don't understand the importance of giving equal treatment to everyone who walks through their employer's door, or that even owners of such businesses don't quite "get" that either. :nono: In this day and age, any brick & mortar store should realize that the competition with internet businesses is so great that they should be thanking their lucky stars they still have clients who want to grace them with their presence.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire said:
Autumnovember said:
Dancing Fire said:
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:

AN...i love mechanical watches.my 3 favorite brands are Patek Philippe,JLC and Lange & Sohne.

Patek Philippe are really nice, love the mechanics of them. SO has a collection of some Audemars Piguet....into those at all?

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
monarch64 said:
I've been on both sides of the jewelry counter, in settings from department stores to high end independent stores, from the time I was 18 and most recently when I was 31. I never, ever, discriminated against someone based on their appearance, ever. Perhaps that's why I was very successful throughout my stints in retail? ;)) My sales experiences took place in the midwest, from small towns in southern Indiana to larger cities in Kentucky, to affluent suburbs of Chicago.

I've sold jewelry pieces from $20 sterling silver or costume things to $30k sales of engagement diamonds plus settings to all kinds of people. I've experienced some surprising sales, of course, from people who could barely speak coherent sentences, with booze on their breath, who spent thousands of dollars, to people who were very well dressed and well-spoken who haggled over the tiniest of details on a $50 piece. You just never know, and the mark of a great salesperson is knowing that you must take ALL clients seriously. To me, there was never a need for discrimination; every client who walked through the door was a potential client no matter how much they wanted to spend. Consumers who actually take the time and effort to walk into a business deserve equal treatment and that's what they always received from me. Never once in my retail career did I have a complaint or anything less than a positive comment from clients. It's pretty sad to me that other salespeople don't understand the importance of giving equal treatment to everyone who walks through their employer's door, or that even owners of such businesses don't quite "get" that either. :nono: In this day and age, any brick & mortar store should realize that the competition with internet businesses is so great that they should be thanking their lucky stars they still have clients who want to grace them with their presence.

WELL SAID monarch! I wish more people had the same perspective as you.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra said:
Travel goddess.... I have been accused of being a spy because I am a knowledgable shopper lol no joke! He actually used that word and demanded to know which store I came from haha I laughed and told him I was flattered. Every time I went in there after that I would say "still not a spy!" lol

Snort.

Seems like many jewelry stores WANT the customer to be ignorant as a stump. :rolleyes:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire said:
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:
Trekkie said:
Dancing Fire said:

wrist shot of my 3 watches.

The middle one is ugly and too big for you. Why don't you just give it to me, and I'll get rid of it for you, OK? :Up_to_something:

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
OH my gosh! What a freaken b*tch! Your DH is funny! hehe! I get those looks here and there when I am in an upscale store looking around. It could probably be a race thing or whatever. But I think it's funny and so ignorant on that person's part to be judgemental. F them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results