shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it rude to take leftovers?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I've always wondered this and don't recall from my business etiquette courses on what to do.

Today our Director took my small team out to lunch. We had Italian, I ordered chicken parm, it was too much so I asked to box up the rest.

Is this rude though during a business meeting? She paid for the food with her corporate card so it's not coming out of her pocket. Would it be ruder if it were?

FWIW, I wouldn't think twice if someone did that when I was paying for lunch/dinner. Just trying to figure out what the etiquette rules are for business lunches.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on the food and the specific situation. If it were a client meeting I'd probably let it go, but a group outing with coworkers or something like that (regardless of who is paying) I'd pack it up. Also, some things just box better than others. I wouldn't box up tuna salad or any other fish for example.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks Kenny, I didn't realize there was actually written etiquette guidelines for this!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
Quote, "Do not attempt to carry out any items that you were not able to finish or want to save for later if you are the guest."

Source: http://www.essortment.com/articles/business-lunch-etiquette-tips_3645.htm

I wonder if that just applies to interviews though. I do remember that for business interviews they encourage you to not even eat (lol). You're supposed to take small bites whenever you're interviewer is taking a bite and never take bites when the interviewer is talking.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I don't think is rude but a good impression is important. Most guests/hosts leave leftovers for personal-family time.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hudson_Hawk said:
thanks Kenny, I didn't realize there was actually written etiquette guidelines for this!
Me neither.

Nowadays it's like you don't have to know anything if you can Google. :tongue:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
Hudson_Hawk said:
Me neither.

Nowadays it's like you don't have to know anything if you can Google. :tongue:

I guess that is one good use for smartphones.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
fiery said:
kenny said:
Quote, "Do not attempt to carry out any items that you were not able to finish or want to save for later if you are the guest."

Source: http://www.essortment.com/articles/business-lunch-etiquette-tips_3645.htm

I wonder if that just applies to interviews though. I do remember that for business interviews they encourage you to not even eat (lol). You're supposed to take small bites whenever you're interviewer is taking a bite and never take bites when the interviewer is talking.

I've never been on that type of business lunch/dinner, but I find it hilarous that there are rules to follow! :bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
For what it's worth, I think it would have been appropriate to ask for a to-go box. Like HH said, I think it just depends on the situation. If I was on an interview, I wouldn't ask, but for a department get-together/lunch, I think it's okay.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ninna said:
I don't think is rude but a good impression is important. Most guests/hosts leave leftovers for personal-family time.

I agree. It may not be bad manners, but I still wouldn't do it in the specific situation you described - would feel a little too informal/personal...

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure that employers take someone out for a meal on the third interview. I would barely eat at any job interview and I wouldn't pack it up.

You situation sounds different, I would pack it up and take it back to work/home.

Edited to add: I think it probably would still depend on your relationship with your boss. Whether your relationship is super formal or whether you have a more casual relationship. I have almost always had very casual relationships with my bosses, so I would have packed it up.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Rude??? No way.

I've actually seen people wrap up food from a wedding reception, now that's tacky! In your situation, you're fine. I honestly don't know when the rules got so uppity about taking food home. We waste enough food as it is, why waste more just for the sake of etiquette?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it's a group lunch, team meeting. Asking to have your's boxed to go at the end sounds fine to me. Waste is what is rude. Why not have it boxed to go??? :read:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If it is a group lunch where everyone agreed to came and paid for their food doggies bags are fine. But if you are on a business lunch and being treated the rules change. Etiquette in that circumstance is a little more formal and taking home leftovers isn't appropriate. It puts too much emphasis on the food and not the meeting. If you went to your manager's house for a formal dinner would you ask to take home the leftovers? Probably not.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Zoe said:
For what it's worth, I think it would have been appropriate to ask for a to-go box. Like HH said, I think it just depends on the situation. If I was on an interview, I wouldn't ask, but for a department get-together/lunch, I think it's okay.

I agree with Zoe and HH. I just think about the amount of food that we sometimes get served in restaurants and the leftovers just get thrown out. I was raised where there are a lot of starving people and we never threw anything away and we always packed up leftovers. Of course I wouldn't do that during an interview or anything, but company functions, I see no reason why not to get a to go box.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I just think it's wrong to waste food. Especially good food. If I were your boss I'd be happy that you took the leftovers home--otherwise it would have been a waste of company funds. Now I'm hungry.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh said:
If it's a group lunch, team meeting. Asking to have your's boxed to go at the end sounds fine to me. Waste is what is rude. Why not have it boxed to go??? :read:

Totally agree with Kaleigh. If I were the boss paying for a meal and the employee left behind half of a meal, I'd be slightly turned off.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Hmm I'm still confused :p

We have had team lunches before where we took boxes home but that was with 18 people and multiple ppl would do it. Here it was just my team, so 4 of us in total. Everyone finished their meal and I was full. I was torn between throwing away a whole chicken breast + pasta or taking it home. We were discussing our audit plan for this fiscal year.

I don't think she would hold it against me but I'm still torn on what's the right thing to do.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still think it's fine to say quietly at the end, do you mind wrapping this to go?? I can't imagine your team leader holding you at fault for that... Why let it go to waste? If they have a problem with that?? I have a problem with them...

Within the parameters that you were meeting, this is fine...

Would I do that on an interview?? No.

BUT would my son?? Oh heck yeah, he is Green to the core, and hates any kind of waste and is all about sustainability. But he would explain why he was doing that to the person interviewing him and would make the guy who was interviewing him feel bad he didn't do it as well!!! :cheeky:

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I've usually followed what others were doing, so no help in your situation when you were the only one with food left. Still, I think it's fine once you've been working there for awhile to be yourself (within reason). I would hope that your boss is glad that the company dollars didn't go to waste, especially if you were talking about budgets and auditing...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
...some might think it's rude if you DON'T ask to box it up...aka if it were someone who did not like to see food wasted who was footing the bill. i had an old boss that would do that..she would actually ask if we were going to take something and if not, SHE might do it. so there's all diff ways it CAN be viewed depending on the people involved.

i would just take it IF i wanted to depending on how the 'situation' felt, and if not, don't take it. and don't give it another thought.

on a similar note, i am a huge dessert person and often wondered if it was inappropriate to order dessert at a company or group outing when no one else does. many times i'd feel like i shouldn't so i wouldn't ... but i really wanted to!!! this is why i ALWAYS prefer to pay for myself, just so i can do what i want. :wacko:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results